Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Atta boy, George.

We KNOW you can do it!!!!

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
"OCF Canuck"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

[quote=georgec]Thanks for the encouragement and understanding. I read Rich's Plea and looked at the pictures. I said to myself, "that could be me." Sometimes quitting seems so overwhelming but I'm sure I can do it. Not much else to say except that I am not giving up. [/quote]

George, I had an oral cancer scare last fall and fortunately dodged the bullet however I spent a fair amount of time reading other's experiences with oral cancer and that was enough to convince me to quit smoking. I had been a heavy smoker for 40 years or so. I continue to read these forums on a regular basis and that is enough to keep me honest.

Good luck to you.

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Not much else to say except that I am not giving up.

I think you meant to say that YOU ARE GIVING UP (smoking and drinking)....RIGHT!!! lol

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
georgec Offline OP
OP Offline

That's right. Poor choice of words on my part.

I understood it george LOL You got it and will do it.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Hi George

I too, had an oral cancer scare and gave them up. Wasn't easy. But you can do it. If you'll indulge me a moment, you might find what I write next inspiring. Or maybe gross and a little bit interesting.

I have a very close family member who started smoking very young. By the time I got to know him (he married into the family), he was a four pack a day smoker (I kid you not). He was such a heavy smoker that, I suppose like many addictions, it became as much a thing he did as it was an actual part of him -- like an appendage or a tattoo he'd always had. So much so that we all knew he was a heavy smoker but never actively thought about it, because it was always there and it just always was... So much so that while I imagine his wife and kids nagged him to quit, we other family members would never have imagined, or dared, to suggest he quit. Not because we didn't care, but because him not smoking was just to ... unimaginable.

I hope I'm stressing enough just how incredibly prevalent, indelible, etc his smoking was. Let's be brutally frank -- smoking 80 cigarettes a day takes some serious dedication.

He had a heart attack in 1999. Not surprising, really, but it was serious, although ultimately overcomeable, provided he changed things up. I'll be honest - as much as we were all rooting for him to quit (and we were - he is much beloved), none of us really thought he would or could. Given his condition, he was unable to use any aids like gum or a patch, so cold turkey was his only option.

Sure, the first five or six days in the hospital were a piece of cake. He had stents in his artery, he felt like hell and you can't smoke in a hospital room. But he soon returned to a house in which he had smoked for 30 years. A car in which he smoked constantly. His own small business - he owned the building so he smoked in it at will. And a wife and grown children who made a vow not to interfere and not to nag because they believed that part of his recovery was entirely up to him.

George, he's not so much as touched a cigarette since the day he was admitted 10 years ago. Not a single one.

So the end of the story is predictable, right? If he can do it, anyone can. And you can.

georgec Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks so much for the inspiration. At first I was afraid to be totally honest on the forum but I have found a great amount of support here. I know I can do it also. Not every day has been a success but who knows -- tomorrow may be that day.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

George,

Here's hoping that tomorrow is a success.

Make it a little easier on yourself to have a successful day...get rid of all temptation...grind up the cigarettes in the garbage disposal if you have to. Empty the bottles of wine. Wake up to a temptation free home! As you can see, a lot of people care about you and want you to be successful so you can LIVE!

One day...you did it after surgery...you can do it tomorrow...and, the next day...and the next! We believe in you George! :-)

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

George,

Tomorrow never comes....today is the day to take control of your body and your life. Have you quite yet?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

As you can see, George, this subject hits an emotional hot button on this forum. For good reason. From another ex-smoker, KICK BUTT.

David R. 65 yr old male non-smoker, light drinker, stage 3 or 4, depending on which doc you ask, scc rt. tonsil, 2 nodes, 7 weeks radiation and chemo. No surgery. Teatment ended 3/20/08. PET scan 8/08 showed no cancer.
And now, as of oct, 2010, caregiver to wife, Linda, with breast cancer.
May, 2013, Linda diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. Enuf already.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics