Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Thanks for the support all. I went to the dr. today and cat scan said something about "no conclusive evidence of disease or metasisis...yada, yada...lots of other 'qualifying' type statements". I am told I should be pleased with this report. The Surgeon will however - in the next couple of weeks - do a biopsy on the lump "just to be sure".

I went to the appointment by myself. I have decided that I need to take full responsibility for and control of my medical issues. If or when there is something that I absolutely must tell those related to me, I will.

Thanks again.

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Sounds "cautiously optimistic" which ain't bad. Sure hope it's good.

David R. 65 yr old male non-smoker, light drinker, stage 3 or 4, depending on which doc you ask, scc rt. tonsil, 2 nodes, 7 weeks radiation and chemo. No surgery. Teatment ended 3/20/08. PET scan 8/08 showed no cancer.
And now, as of oct, 2010, caregiver to wife, Linda, with breast cancer.
May, 2013, Linda diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. Enuf already.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Donna,

Sorry that you are having to deal with all this stuff but please don't let it get the best of you.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Now you sound more ;like the Donna I have come to know. Put those gloves on and come out swingin for the KO. Luv Ya gal.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Donna: I'm so happy that you got a good report.

This may not be your situation, but when I had my CAT I was given similar vague info. I spoke directly to the pathology and/or radiation doctor who wrote the report. She stated that the CAT was non-contrasting, and therefore she could only revaluate "macro" scopiclly!. Although she/he may not see any cancer, the qualifying items are what are important. It's an important sign when your doctor is happy. Because when your doctor's not happy, nobody is happy!!

I'm tickled you're doing so well.

Sandy

Sandy 56, BOT SCC Biopsy 1/21/09 Stage 3, T3NXM0.
Finished 3 cycle induction chemotherapy 4/7/09. (Chisplatin, 5-fu and Texotere). Re-staged 4/20/09,(very successful.) Will start Carboplatin/radiation 2 Gy/5 days/7 weeks (Tomotherapy) starting May 4th. Finished 6/22/09.
OCF member/supporter

"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

The CT was contrast, and while I think that most of it is "cover your butt" terminology, some of it did not lend itself to being comforted. The oral cavity was somewhat obscured due to dental ??? (apparently metal fragments from dental work can distort the images - and I had a root canal gone bad that very day - so wasn't surprised at that). My faith in CT's is limited. The only way they have actually diagnosed the cancer was by biopsy.

I don't know whether CT's ever showed it. I'll have to ask sometime.

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Donna:
I'm with you, I'm not a big fan of CT's. I am far, far from being an expert, but from my reading comparing the different technologies in diagnosing cancer, the PET scan is the best.
But I agree with you concerning the biopsy. That's the only true way.

I know that you get more radiation thru a PET, but I'm going to request it in the future.

Take are!
Sandy

Sandy 56, BOT SCC Biopsy 1/21/09 Stage 3, T3NXM0.
Finished 3 cycle induction chemotherapy 4/7/09. (Chisplatin, 5-fu and Texotere). Re-staged 4/20/09,(very successful.) Will start Carboplatin/radiation 2 Gy/5 days/7 weeks (Tomotherapy) starting May 4th. Finished 6/22/09.
OCF member/supporter

Donna -

Keep in mind that these reports are written in a way so that they can be viewed as having mentioned even the remotest possible issue, due to liability concerns. I got a copy of my first post-treatment PET report before I went to the doctor to review the results, and I damn near had a heart attack. Two nodes "concerning for metastatic disease". Now when I went to the doctors, they practically laughed it off.

Now, some 18 months and 2 PET scans later, I have learned to leave the interpretation to the professionals. If my doctors are happy, I am happy. Period. Hope all continues to go well.

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hang in there, Donna. You are a valuable person, a special person and one of a kind. There is no one like you anywhere, now or ever. As far as your family goes, I think some of that attitude could be caused from fear. It's easier for them to ignore you and your problems because for them it's over, because as far as they are concerned you are healed. What I'm saying is, they can't think about losing you to this cancer. My own husband doesn't discuss it with me anymore, even when I'm getting stressed about an upcoming followup apt and you know how THAT is. He says that door is closed and the cancer is gone, I'm cured. He refuses to think about the fact that it could reoccur and will not talk about it. I believe this is because he, for his own state of mind, can't think about it. He went thru hell when I went through the processes, dx, tx, etc... He really was my hero and honestly, I was glad to be in my shoes versus his. I still feel the cancer patient has it easier than the loved ones. I believe with every fiber in my being, that when I leave this world, I'm going to a much better place. It's the ones left behind that go through the real pain. As far as being accused of being negative, screw that. I call that being realistic, not negative. It comes from the research and communication we've had regarding this cancer. We probably know way more about it than we should. I know I do. I found out after I survived the treatment, that alot of people had thought I was a goner. They didn't know me that well, I guess but one woman told me she thought I'd die because I was negative. I couldn't believe that. I asked her why would she think that, hell I was fighting for my life. She said it was the way I spoke to her before the TX. She asked about my prognosis and I just told her like it was, it could go either way, no one was real sure. No big deal to me at the time, I wasn't scared but I wasn't sure which way it would go and I was being realistic with her. I guess I should be scared about the fact that I've never been scared of this. That could take a shrink or two and alot of time, tho and I'm living my life now and don't want to use my time that way. Another thing, what you said about going to your appts by yourself. I go to all of mine alone. I'm more comfortable for some reason. I feel I can ask more if no one is around and if I do get bad news, I'd like to digest it awhile before I informed anyone. When I got the first Dx my husband was with me and I spent more time reassuring him than asking the questions I should have been. I know alot of people that go with family and friends along for support to their followup appts and then they go celebrate afterwards when it all ok. That's great for them but for me, it's less stress for me to do it alone. Donna, I don't know if this helps you, I really hope so because I care about you and want to see you happy. We have enough BS in our lives to put up with other people's attitudes. You need to do what's right for you and not worry about how they feel and don't let them control how you feel. I've read many, many of your posts and know you are a wonderful, caring person. We all have our down days and a little pity party or a good pout is good for us once in awhile. It just makes us more aware of the good things in our lives. From what I'm seeing here, you have many good things in your life right here. Sending you a hug, Carol

DX 6/05 Rt Tonsil SSC advanced to lymph node. Stage 4b. RND, took tonsils, strips off the back of tongue, throat and nose. 19 lymph nodes removed only 1 bad. Once healed, 7 weeks of treatment including 35 IMRT, 7 Cisplatin, 7 Erbitux and 35 nasty Amophostine. Almost 11 yrs out now. Woooo Hoooo!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics