Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#95025 05-07-2009 12:58 AM
TeeCee Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi. Okay I don't know all the medical terms but I know what my Dad went through this past year as I quit my job and moved him in with me to take care of him. Today he broke my heart because all he wants is a stinking set of dentures and no one seems to think it matters, or cares enough to even try. Anyway, here is his story:

78 yo male who had a partial mandilectomy on the left side along with part of his cheek being cut out and replaced by inner arm muscle/and a leg skin graft flap in June 08 at Moffitt Cancer Ctr in Tampa. His inner arm wouldn't heal and the tendon was sticking up so we had to use a wound vac for a few months to get that healed.

After the scabs came off his face, part of the mandible was sticking out and wouldn't heal and turned green due to rad 10yrs ago for SCC in the same place. So he went back in for surgery 11/08 and they took muscle and skin from his chest to fix that, and the bone still stuck out.

Then his L eye wouldn't close and his left face had no feeling and sagged so another surgery 02/09 @ TGH and they put a gold weight in the eyelid and some stretchy material from just under his ear to his mouth to try and hold his mouth even and they also cut the bone back and covered it up.

Dad was such a trooper through all of this, heck I am the one on anti-depressants, he was so positive it was unbelievable. Everything was finally healed, he was gaining weight back by drinking 6 cans of Isocal 375 by mouth (with a straw) and even gained back 22lbs.

On 04/09 the pet lit up, its back just next to the rebuilt cheek. Further surgery is not an option they say and he refuses chemo and rad. Guess he is tired and ready to give up, he told me today "I want a good steak before I die and I need teeth to eat it".

Saw the dentist at Moffitt 4 times since 03/09 and he hasn't done a thing, no impressions, etc...just whittled his old upper denture down so it would fit but the teeth stick out like a rats and he still can't eat or hold food/liquids in his mouth, everything dribbles out. Now the dentist says he can't do anything as the cancer is back. We have seen 3 other local dentists and they say the same thing.

Anyone came across this problem with their treatment? Dad has insurance, was in the military for 30 yrs and everything is paid for 100% & we are willing to travel anywhere necessary to get him teeth.

It is just sad that he went through so much to have the cancer come back and this is like his last wish and no one seems able to help. Maybe I just refuse to believe they can't fix him but dang it my daddy wants teeth.

Sorry, I didn't mean for my first post to be a mini book. Anyway, please email me if you know of any dentists that could help. Also if you have any words of wisdom I could use to maybe talk him into at least trying radiation? That would be great.

Thanks, TeeCee

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi TeeCee,
I'm so sorry for all of your Dad's troubles. You know, if you get the right kind of steak your Dad should be able to eat it even without teeth. My husband's teeth were pulled back in 2005, before his treatments started. Since then, he has had a full set of dentures, but he never used the bottom teeth. They never fit right or stayed in. And, actually, he could eat better without them. This was last year, before his 4th cancer. He could eat pretty much anything, even Polish Sausage, his favorite! Get a really good, aged Filet Mignon, grill medium rare, and let him at it! Tiny bites, follow with lots of water.
I am hoping that he has had a swallow atudy done and knows he will not aspirate!
Good luck to you and your Dad,
Lori

Lori, cg to H Ron, age 56.
Stage IV Oral SCC-T1N2. Tongue resected and right ND 8/05. Teeth removed, PORT, PEG, IMRT x33, Cisplatin x3. Tx ended 10/05.
Recurrence 7/08 Stage IV. Surgery 8/30/08.
2nd recur. 11/08. 2nd surgery 2/2/09.
3rd recur. 4/9/09. Erbitux wkly. 5/09-?
Ron died 6/6/09.
Lori also passed away 8/20/11, colon cancer
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Dear TeeCee
Sorry I wish I had answers for you. One suggestion is to call the VA Hospital in Washington DC, to see if they can help. Did they say why the cancer prevents them from making the dentures?

I hope your father changes his mind and doesn't give up. Chemo and radiation is a lot different than it was 10 years ago, and the machines are much better also.

I see my dentist next week, I'll ask him. MD/DC/VA (northern Virginia) have great services. I'll also take to my oncologist dentist.

Sandy

Sandy 56, BOT SCC Biopsy 1/21/09 Stage 3, T3NXM0.
Finished 3 cycle induction chemotherapy 4/7/09. (Chisplatin, 5-fu and Texotere). Re-staged 4/20/09,(very successful.) Will start Carboplatin/radiation 2 Gy/5 days/7 weeks (Tomotherapy) starting May 4th. Finished 6/22/09.
OCF member/supporter

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Welcome to OCF. I am so sorry your father has gone thru so much with oral cancer surgeries. Poor guy has had enough. He is lucky to have you caring for him. Im sure it isnt easy for you either watching all this.

Not sure if I overlooked this in your post, but have you gone for second or third opinions? Are you aware a PET scan can show falso positives? It happened to me, I was very scared and turns out I didnt have OC again. Did he have a biopsy?

I can relate to wanting a steak. I dont have teeth either due to OC. I cant understand how people without teeth can eat things like steak. My jaws arent even close to touching to be able to chew. Im sure your fathers dont close either. Guess you could always use a food processor if you want to make it where he is able to eat it.

We do have 2 dentists as members of OCF. Hope they are able to give you some info. I have the name and number of an oral surgeon here in PA and also a prostiodontist (I think thats the right name). Both are very familiar with oral cancer patients which is what your father needs.

Best of luck with everything.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

My dad got his teeth pulled all at one time and never even mentioned dentures. He was in late 20s or early 30s He could eat anything we that had teeth do. But his jaws did meet when he clamped down. mine are like Christines and don't evencome close so hat I could bite. The oral surgeon shaved some of my jaws on both sides so dentures will fit better. Now all I need are some denturess I can have a steak with christine. LOL

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

What is the reason they say he can't get new dentures?

I also have a very good prosthodontist in Princeton NJ that might be able to help. He is MD Anderson trained and deals with cancer patients on a regular basis. He is also very expensive. If you want his name and number, email me.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

Christine, you have given me an idea. I will get a nice steak, not too ig but marbled ncely and grill it. Then it's processor or blender time.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics