Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I am generally an easy going person, but I am sensitive to the issue of smoking. I hate it when a person looking for suppport comes to this site, and immediately is asked if he/she is a smoker. Many smokers feel the animosity of non smokers, and I'm sure it makes them feel vunerable.

I personally believe that smoking is an addiction same as alcohol. No on blames an alcoholic!!! Actually smoking is more addictive than alcohol, drugs, etc. It's just that you don't see someone falling down and/or wasted. Like all addictions it does fill some deep psychological need.

That said, I do believe that smoking should not be allowed in
places where it would annoy others such as restaurants, etc. But remember people, you breathe in as much or more toxic air when you walk down a bustling traffic area and/or stand at a bus stop!

Just my 2 cents. I'll be positive from here on out!
Sandy S.

Sandy 56, BOT SCC Biopsy 1/21/09 Stage 3, T3NXM0.
Finished 3 cycle induction chemotherapy 4/7/09. (Chisplatin, 5-fu and Texotere). Re-staged 4/20/09,(very successful.) Will start Carboplatin/radiation 2 Gy/5 days/7 weeks (Tomotherapy) starting May 4th. Finished 6/22/09.
OCF member/supporter

"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

oooooh Sandy.light the blue touch paper and gently retire lol.I am an addict who had kicked the habit for many years until the final stages of my husbands life.Now the demon has me firmly in its clutches again.I recognise my weakness i am aware of the dangers,i saw my husband die from the effects of long term hand rolling tobacco and i am a social outcast,but this addiction is a tough one.

liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

I think that was posters here want to get to know someone, and part of that is how they came to the disease. We have several choices. That you might be put in one of those categories shouldn't bother you, it is only a category. Do I feel crappy that I am in a virus group? Yes, but I openly discuss it to edify others. If someone beats themselves up for poor choices, you can put me at the front of the list. If I had known I was going to live this long I wouldn't have treated my body like a rental car all these years. But we don't allow any attacks on people, that made poor choices, or have addictions, or whatever issues. I have seen people gang up on someone that comes here are supports the continued use of cigars (that has happened in the past).

If people ask about your etiology, it helps understand your future as well. Tobacco etiology people have other collateral issues, that some of us would like you to be aware of so you can catch them at the earliest possible point. For the viral group, turns out the latest research shows that we are not free of our virus even after treatments. If I didn't know that, I would want someone to tell me to remain vigilant, because of this. I don't see a lot of posts on here ever where people are rubbing people's noses in their past bad judgment, there is just too much to go around, and we all ended up in the same club regardless.

If someone asks if someone else came here because of tobacco, this is not a condemnation. Thin or thick skins aside, we all discuss much of what we have experienced. We ask questions as we get to know each other. Please do not take offense at these questions, they are not said without malice.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

I was a smoker for over 50 yrs and I don't gripe or comlain about smoke,. If it's in the air, I just get up and move or leave. I remember some friends that had quit the habit and acted like I was a criminal whereas before they wanted to be near to have fun and get a laugh or 2. I wonder what they think their perfumes and such do to people like me that cant take the odors. Instant Headache time for me. I just have to get up and go.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Sandy,

First off I do not ask if they are smokers, I ask if they are/were a TOBACCO USER. As we all know there are 2 major causes of Oral SCC; HPV and Tobacco. There may be an emerging 3rd cause but as yet it isn't separately identified. As we also suspect HPV and Tobacco related SCC respond differently to current treatment and (therefore) has different recurrence rates with Tobacco related SCC being the more aggressive of the 2. We also know that most HPV+ SCC begins in the Oropharynx region. Therefore when I ask a new poster if they were a Tobacco user I am trying to find out more about their cancer not to taint them in any way whatsoever. If I do find out they are a tobacco user I do everything I can to persuade them to stop as their life may very well depend upon it.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I don't think it is appropriate, timely or necessary to immediately ask a new member if they are/were a tobacco user.

Instead, if they have a DX of Oropharynx OC, then it would be much more appropriate to ask if they were tested for HPV and briefly explain that HPV and Tobacco use are the two known major causes of Oropharynx OC.

Regardless, anyone with Oropharynx OC should really have their biopsy or tumor tested for HPV and eventually this should become a standard practice.

Don
TXN2bM0 Stage IVa SCC-Occult Primary
FNA 6/6/08-SCC in node<2cm
PET/CT 6/19/08-SCC in 2nd node<1cm
HiRes CT 6/21/08
Exploratory,Tonsillectomy(benign),Right SND 6/23/08
PEG 7/3/08-11/6/08
35 TomoTherapy 7/16/08-9/04/08 No Chemo
Clear PET/CT 11/15/08, 5/15/09, 5/28/10, 7/8/11

Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

David:
I didn't mean to attack. I just feel that when someone's first posts in the "Introduce Yourself." I feel that the first response should not be about smoking. People at that stage are defensive if they were/are smokers, and I don't feel it the best initial response to their need for support.

Thanks for the lively discussion. I always love exchanging ideas with you folks. Sandy S.

Sandy 56, BOT SCC Biopsy 1/21/09 Stage 3, T3NXM0.
Finished 3 cycle induction chemotherapy 4/7/09. (Chisplatin, 5-fu and Texotere). Re-staged 4/20/09,(very successful.) Will start Carboplatin/radiation 2 Gy/5 days/7 weeks (Tomotherapy) starting May 4th. Finished 6/22/09.
OCF member/supporter

Well stated Don and Sandy . David is a big guy and can takes a little critism just like the rest of us. Right David old Buddy. LOL I get more than critized, I get shot down and get back up grinning and saying "sorry all" I think most all took a shot at me yesterday for being the idiot of the class.LOL And you know what.,,,, I was.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

The problem is also that smokers are sensitized to a "Well, you did it to yourself" attitude (Some of the folks who say that are really denying that they could possibly get cancer).

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.

People try to arrive at an understand by putting things in categories. Aha she/he smoked ..... therefore it can be "understood" why this person gets cancer. Never mind that it is possible that smoking might not have had anything to do with it....
However, if you smoked and end up here is is quite likely that this activity caused the cancer. It is what it is and smoking is the most preventable cause for cancer. There is no point in glossing over this.

I had my last cigarette the day before the glossectomy (..... exactly!!).

M

Partial glossectomy (25%) anterior tongue. 4/6/07/. IMRT start @5/24/07 (3x) Erbitux start/end@ 5/24/07. IMRT wider field (30x) start 6/5/07. Weekly cisplatin (2x30mg/m2), then weekly carbo- (5x180mg/m2). End of Tx 19 July 07.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23