Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hello,

I hope that this question is in the right section... if not, I will be grateful for better advice. I am writing from Germany, therefore please excuse for my humble style. If you are interested in my "history", you are welcome to read it in the "introduce yourself" section.

I have asked my doctors to take a sample from my tumor and to have it examined for HPV. The result will be available in few days.

Even if in my case the cancer will not be caused by HPV, my general question may be interesting for readers generally:

Question: If someone has a tumor as caused by HPV, is the one now a source for fresh viruses himself?

And if so, is it then possible to infect the rest of the head by onself? i.e. , for instance, the primary cancer is at
the tongue, but then the spread viruses infect also throat, esophagus and else within few weeks?

Is there any knowledge about this problem?

Best regards - Peter

Age 51 ; non -smoker -drinker
Jan./09: nothing. March 3./09: Biopsy: SCC T4, side of tongue. Reason: perhaps chemical burn by germicide after tooth extraction.
03/09: CT, MRI, scintigraphy, endoscopy etc: Dx T4N0M0.
Then: IMRT+1 week cisplatin
April 15th/09: ongoing IMRT; tumor shrunk by ~50%
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

The anatomical locations for HPV positive oral cancers are isolated to only a few areas. They are all listed on the HPV page if you clic the link HPV in this sentence. Spread of the virus to other parts of the head or body is something we know little about, but we do not see very many second primaries in HPV positive patients, and certainly not outside the few areas listed on that page.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

What we don't know about HPV is greater than what we do know.

We do know exactly how the virus takes control of the cells but we don't know how to stop it other than killing the bad cells along with the good ones.

We know that by age 50 over 80% of the population has been exposed to the virus but we don't know why a small percentage of those are susceptible to the virus successfully attacking the cells.

We do know that it causes cervical, oral, penal and anal cancers but we don't know if it moves around the body.

We think it can lay dormant for years but we don't know why, where it hides or what triggers it to come out of hibernation so to speak.

We see positive results from conventional Tx but we don't know if the virus is totally killed post Tx. We see positive results from the Gardasil vaccine in pre sexually active children and there are ongoing studies to see if by boasting our immune system's response, HPV can be more effectively attacked. Hopefully in the future both of these methods can significantly reduce the onset of HPV related cancers.

Remember I am not a doctor and Brian is much more on top of all the topics related to OC so if he corrects anything I say, I would go with his version.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

David hit all the pertinent notes right on key.... nothing to add unless you have a very specific question.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

Today I received the result of the tissue analysis: no HPV.

Nevertheless, since I am much interested in what is going on in health issues, I will stay much interested in news about HPV and the difficulties with the present poor knowledge.

Age 51 ; non -smoker -drinker
Jan./09: nothing. March 3./09: Biopsy: SCC T4, side of tongue. Reason: perhaps chemical burn by germicide after tooth extraction.
03/09: CT, MRI, scintigraphy, endoscopy etc: Dx T4N0M0.
Then: IMRT+1 week cisplatin
April 15th/09: ongoing IMRT; tumor shrunk by ~50%
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Good luck Peter.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23