Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Good1 Offline OP
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

I was up most of the night - about 5 AM when I finally got some sleep until about 9. I did OK this morning and got one can of food in, and one dose of the antibiotics. Then about 2 pm I started to throw up again and have lost everything that I put in for today.

I called the 24/7 nurse and she says there is a bug going around that has a lot of vomitting with it, maybe I got that? I'm really not buying it. So she says to try to do a feedig but only about 1/2 and the flush with water, wait a bit, do some more and try the meds etc etc. Exactly what I have been doing for the past two days. Call the doctor's office in the morning so I can go back in. I did not get anything new from this except to try to convince myself that I have the flu so I will feel better. I guess it will be another long night.

I'm going to prop up on the sofa now that I have put a little bit in and will be back in an hour or so to try some more and the meds. I still say that my stomach can't tolerate the amoxicillin and tomorrow we will get something different. I don't want the infection to get the upper hand, but I wonder what the difference is between throwing it up and not taking it all would be?

Patty

Patty

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
9/06 Surgery, bilateral neck dissection, 58 nodes clear PT2pN0pMx
35 rad 2006
Recurred 6/08, 1 Carboplatin, 1 Cisplatin
Surgery 9/08 - Total glossectomy, free flap from pectoral muscle, left mandible replaced using fibula
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence
6/1/09 passed away, rest in peace
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you are doing. I'm really hoping to hear some good news from you soon. I'll be checking in to see how you are everyday. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Suzanne
T1 SCC on right side of tongue
Age 31...27 when diagnosed
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear
Surgery needed again...no later than April 2011
Loving life and just became a mother on 11/25/10
It's not what we CAN'T do..it's what we CAN do:)
Good1 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank Suzanne. I got some sleep last night. I woke up at 2:30 and I was soaked. Even the blankets were wet. I think the fever broke. I'm doing a feeding now and my sister is tracking down the doc to get some different antibiotics or maybe bring me in for them IV at the lab there. I still have my port so that would be sooo easy for me. Just take a nap and get my meds.

I just want to feel better and get back on track. I was doing so good until this. I have started a draft of the letter that this prosthodontist will be getting when I request my records so that I can move on. I thought that I would include some info on the dangers of dental work for OC patients for him to read.

I have finished a feeding and after a shower I'm going to rest some more so I don't push myself.

Patty

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
35 rad 2006
Surgery 9/08 - Total glossectomy, free flap from pectoral muscle, left mandible replaced using fibula
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence
Good1 Offline OP
OP Offline

The doctor is starting to agree with me that it is actually the infection that is making me sick not the antibiotics. I haven't taken any yet today hoping to avoid throwing up and anticipating a change in meds. I threw up anyway about an hour ago. The good news is not as much.

The doc will be calling me back to decide what to do. They may have me go to the hospital and get IV antibiotics and fluids now since I am dehydrating even though I am trying so hard to keep putting in fluids.

My neck has swollen back up and is painful even with the patch. You can feel the heat coming out of it when you touch it.

I have a friend here now so at least I feel better to have someone here. She drove here from WI. That's quite a friend huh?

Patty

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
35 rad 2006
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence

That is a good friend...it's always good to have someone with you. I just keep hoping every day that you start seeing some improvement. Maybe going to the hospital and getting an IV would be the best thing for you now. If you're not getting any nourishment it's going to be hard to heal.

Keep being strong Patty, you're doing great. We're here for you!!

Suzanne
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I'm sorry I haven't been on today Patty, but my body just doesn't want to sit here. I worked in my gardenand fiished digging and plANTED SOME SUNFLOWERS. tHEN MY BODY TOLD ME TO GO AND SIT. we DID... dAMN. GOT acaps key on this new one too. LOL I'll listen for messages to come thru from the couch. Hope you feel better.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

I missed that part of the poset about your friend. You are lucky to have her and if you have an extra .. Old Jim needs one. LOL I made home sauce then went to the store for angel hair pasta. It smells perfect and the few bites I enjoed were delicious. I made meatballs too, but no way could I eat them. They were in every little crack and crevice in my mouth they could find. LOL I had to brush my tongue and mouth to eat.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Patty

I was hoping to read you were feeling better. Its very nice of your friend to come help you. Right now you are probably really struggling. Without proper nutrition and hydration, your body cant heal and it makes you feel awful. Ive been down that road too many times. Seems like an endless cycle, stomach problems so cant eat and feeling so lousy dont want to drink or take meds cuz it wont stay down.

Hope you are able to get some nutrition in and keep it in. Then maybe build up the hydration and get some meds in you to get well. I know you are trying really hard, and this might sound dumb, but try harder. I dont want to see you go thru getting admitted to the hospital from this. That happened to me a few times under similar circumstances. Last time I was stuck there 10 days before I stabalized enough to go home.

Hope you feel better tomorrow.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Christine...you always have something so supportive to say. I have to be honest...sometimes I forget everything you are going through yourself right now. You are just busy supporing others. You have such a good heart. We are fortunate to have you hear. I don't want to hijack Patty's thread but I want to know how you are doing:)

Patty,
Stay strong and keep taking care of yourself. You have a lot of people who care about you!!

Suzanne
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear

I have to agree about Christine, she is very supportative to everyone that comes thru the door. You and Patty are too Suzanne. I would be safe in adding just about everyone to this list.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320