Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#91191 03-05-2009 02:58 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

It's really tough to talk to anyone about the things that I'm afraid of. I get really awkward and hear a voice in the back of my mind saying "quit your whining" so I just keep quiet about it. But life is a scary place after cancer, knowing that it CAN happen to me. I'm afraid that I may never be able to enjoy food again and can't imagine life like that. I'm afraid that I may have to have massive dental work done and I can't afford it. I'm afraid of so many things but most of all a recurrence and I can not even imagine going through radiation again. I sometimes think that I just won't do it. I've never been a quitter but that might change if I have to face that again. At least I know I can come here and whine if I want to.

David R. 65 yr old male non-smoker, light drinker, stage 3 or 4, depending on which doc you ask, scc rt. tonsil, 2 nodes, 7 weeks radiation and chemo. No surgery. Teatment ended 3/20/08. PET scan 8/08 showed no cancer.
And now, as of oct, 2010, caregiver to wife, Linda, with breast cancer.
May, 2013, Linda diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. Enuf already.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

David:

Your fears and unspoken words are something I think most of us have. Just try taking it day by day. Maybe go back and read some of your old posts so you can see how far you have come. We are all terrified of a recurrance. Ive had one and am living proof that it can be overcome. Ive also just had all my teeth removed yesterday due to the after effects of radiation. I sometimes feel badly like what you explained. Its a horrible feeling to feel alone and scared of this new life and all the changes that come with it. One thing to remember is that you are seeing doctors who are looking for cancer, if it would come back it would be found very quickly.

Celebrate your milestones. Your 1 year post tx is coming up very soon. Even if you can eat something new, take it as an improvement. Eating will take a long time to return, but it will get better. The support from OCF is what helps us all pull together and move on. Please check in from time to time. It will help you to feel better.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

It's good to have a place to whine, kick, cry and just generally bitch about all of this. My husband and I have also had the same fears....not enough money to get through this, having his taste return, possibly having to face it again. Believe me, I'm not expecting those fears to go away when treatment ends. Sometimes just putting it out there in writing and acknowledging it helps. I seriously don't know what I would have done if I hadn't found this forum. Some days it's all that keeps me sane to read the posts and know we aren't alone in what we're going thru.

CG to H with SCC BOT T4N2cM0 dx 12/19/08, teeth removed pre-tx; Erbitux & RT-done 3/12/09, PEG 2/9/09-7/14/09; ND 6/16. Pet 6/12-no mets except lymph node in neck removed on 6/16. Chyle leak,2nd surg to repair. Dilate esophagus 4/15/10. Clear PET 12/17/10
OP Offline

Thanks Christine and Cheryl. I was thinking about it after I wrote that post and thought that was kind of a stupid thing to say. Yes there have been times when I thought I just won't do that again but I know that if I have to I will. And everybody here knows how scary that prospect is. But I don't want anyone to think that I'm going to give up. I won't.

David R. 65 yr old male non-smoker, light drinker, stage 3 or 4, depending on which doc you ask, scc rt. tonsil, 2 nodes, 7 weeks radiation and chemo. No surgery. Teatment ended 3/20/08. PET scan 8/08 showed no cancer.
And now, as of oct, 2010, caregiver to wife, Linda, with breast cancer.
May, 2013, Linda diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. Enuf already.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

David

It is a scary world. I try to think of the good things as much as possible and try very hard not to think of recurrence or the other scary things. Do you have family or friends to support you?

I do not know what I would do without this forum and a couple of very good friends that take the time to give me a pat on the back every now and then. My family is not very supportive. They don't know how to be.

You will learn to eat food again in your own time. I was coughing and sputtering water not too long ago and today had the first bites of anything that resembles solid food - a pancake. I'm thrilled and I still have a long way to go. It will get better.

Please post the things that you feel here anytime you need to. That's what this is for. Support, encouragment, to have somewhere to fall apart if you need to. We are all here to hold your hand.

Patty

Last edited by Good1; 03-05-2009 04:34 PM.

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
9/06 Surgery, bilateral neck dissection, 58 nodes clear PT2pN0pMx
35 rad 2006
Recurred 6/08, 1 Carboplatin, 1 Cisplatin
Surgery 9/08 - Total glossectomy, free flap from pectoral muscle, left mandible replaced using fibula
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence
6/1/09 passed away, rest in peace

David

Dont worry about posting your feelings here. We have all thoguht those things too. I had always been so afraid of a recurrance that I would not ever dare read anythign about it. It didnt stop me from having one. We are all in this together and understand better than anyone how you feel. Dispair can get to you sometimes when you think too much. Keep your chin up, you have come a long long way and have lots to be proud of. Vent all you want, we are here to listen and support each other.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

You are a real man if you can admit to fears and not a phony. WE all have a certain amount of fears. My biggest was being alone when I couldn't even walk or stand. I fell on the floor one day and had to call someone to come and help me back up. I am still self sufficient and trying my beat. Some people just walk away and tell themselves they are right and the world is wrong. See, I am whing right now but it makes me feel better. Go for it all you want and we'll listen to each and every word.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Not only do we listen, we know where you are coming from, in a way that those have have not been touched by this cancer do not. Feel free to post your feelings, and remember that your feelings are entirely natural and normal.

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)

Yep, all of those fears are valid. But eventually you find that it is just too much work to walk around scared. I could get killed by anything at any time -- worrying about it is pointless

Sitting here at work, we just watched President Obama's motorcade drive by (he is speaking at Police Academy graduation about 6 blocks away), and as often as I have seen it, I am always impressed by the magnitude of the security. Then I thought, "What must it be like to have to live every moment with massive security?" In many ways, our fear of recurrence, side effects, etc. has the same "imprisoning effect".

No "wrong" feeling or fears. We all have them and deal with them as our own circumstances and personalities dictate. That's what makes this group of people really special.

Hang in there!!

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!

As for the President, He will have security like that the rest of his life. Not my type of job. I like the freedom too much.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users