Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#90894 03-01-2009 07:27 AM
OP Offline

Why is it hard to quit smoking, are cigarette sort of drugs? And can anyone tell me why smoking is considered cool.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Nicotine is addictive. Dont know what else is in there, but its not good stuff.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I smoked for 45 years. When Jim was diagnosed last year with OC, I threw the damn things out. Smoking was considered "cool" back in the 50's and 60's. Now when I see someone smoking, it is disgusting. Wasting all that money to eventually kill yourself. Nicotine is just like alcohol--addicting ! And it stinks. I have a friend who is on oxogen and still goes outside to have a puff. Imagine that ? If I could quit, anybody can. But, look what it took---------it took me watching him in this horrible disease............I can go on and on, but I won't. I don't mean to sound cruel and I never ever preach to anybody that is still smoking, but my mind and heart silently say "please stop for yourself and all the people that love you"
My son still chews-----------so, yes, it is very addicting.
Claudia

Husband 2/3 tongue removed March 2008. Free flap. . Stage IV. Radiation and 3 chemo's (cisplatin,taxol & erbitux). .Pet scan Aug 08 showed mets to lungs .Oct 08, recurrence. - In the arms of Jesus, July 15, 2009
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Nicotine is not like alcohol in one respect and that is alcohol is not additive to everyone but NICOTINE is addictive to everyone and it is probably the most addictive substance known to mankind and it's been linked to hundreds of different cancers so if you haven't tried tobacco DON'T, if you have STOP.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

For me smoking was a peer pressure thing at first. All of my friends were so I did too. Boy I wish I would have had more self esteem as a teenager and said no. Anywho, then it was an addiction. I quit several times before I was successful the last time in 2000. I quit right in the middle of my divorce which was a stressful time and still succeeded. I have had weak moments where I fell off the wagon a few times, but not in a very long time.

Now I can smell a cigarette from a great distance and they don't smell good. I try not to be the former smoker from hell - but I am. Look what they have done for me. I am more than annoyed by the fact that people smoke at the entrances to buildings so that I have to be exposed to it to enter the building. IL has a law that you have to be several feet from the entrance and very few business are adhering to it and I think that they should be fined. I am so glad that all buildings here are now smoke free and I think those that are not obeying that law should also be fined to the maximum extent under the law. It is a personal choice to smoke or not to smoke - and I do not agree with people forcing their personal choices on others which is what they are doing when I have to be around their smoke.

I guess I got on my soap box here. Good morning by the way.

Patty

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
9/06 Surgery, bilateral neck dissection, 58 nodes clear PT2pN0pMx
35 rad 2006
Recurred 6/08, 1 Carboplatin, 1 Cisplatin
Surgery 9/08 - Total glossectomy, free flap from pectoral muscle, left mandible replaced using fibula
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence
6/1/09 passed away, rest in peace

I smoked for 50 years and quit cold turkey without any problems. That was the day I was diagnosed with our old buddy OC. I really think the hooked is psycholocical. My dad quit after 40 yrs by just trashing them. I have a few friends that quit the same way.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Thats how I quit too, cold turkey. I thought to myself is it going to be the cigs or me? Am I going to allow cancer to get me or do what I can to fight it? I threw them out the wondow and never smoked again.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

David. Nicotine itself is the addictive agent but it is the 400 other chemicals in tobacco particularly when it is cured or burned that are the carcinogens. That is why accepted harm reduction strategies for tobacco users use nicotine replacement therapy (NRT). They are essentially nicotine in another form, nasal sprays, inhalers, gum, patches etc. Some of these are Rx, some are OTC. But the bottom line is just like with heroin addicts, you need to give them something that satisfies the brain's addiction (without introducing additional collateral harm) while you wean the body off the addiction slowly with gradually reduced levels of the addictive nicotine itself. Those NRT's are still nicotine containing substances. But as a cause of cancer it isn't a big player. It is linked to high blood pressure and other dangerous things, but to a significantly lower level than the real danger of spit or smoked tobacco which cause the cancers that nicotine does not.

This page of the web site

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/tobacco/types_of_tobacco.htm

talks a bit about NRT. We are just now rewriting all this as much is changing. I would also suggest people read how the tobacco companies (below the radar and unnoticed by most adults) are still marketing their addiction to our youth on this really good blog with lots of link in it. http://www.oral-cancer.info/?cat=20

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Smoking initiates many processes in the body. As nicotine enters, the endorphin is released and you are actually becoming high. Yes these are sort of drugs which have obvious symptoms like becoming anxious, sweating and feeling of physical illness on removal. But you can easily give-up this habit. I found a good e-book on �Smoking Cessation� (http://www.stop-smoking-guru.com). Concerning cigarettes being cool, I don�t agree with you. What I feel is that some great personalities fall victim to this habit making it look cool which is surely a myth.

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Interesting stuff.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Addictions are easy to conquer - you just have to WANT to - THAT'S the hard part. I went from 2 packs a day to 0 and never smoked again - that was 32 years ago. No patches - no books - just threw 'em in the trash.

And endorphins aren't "sort of a drug" - they ARE a drug!
People also release endorphins in fits of rage - they are called anger junkies.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics