Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hello Lori Ann,
My husband is 6 years post treatment for tonsil SCC with spread to 2 nodes. He's doing well now. Like your husband, he was thin even before the cancer. He resisted the Peg tube way too long - didn't end up getting it until the last week of radiation. It really, really helped the whole situation. As someone else stated, with the Peg, taste issues go away. Do you have a dietitian/nutritionist on your team? They can help you find some Ensure-type products that are even higher in calories - Nutrasource was the one we used (purchased through a catalog that the dietitian gave us).

Don't let the addition of chemo alarm you. That is common these days - it wasn't part of the protocol when my husband was starting treatment and we had to insist on it.

You have found a great place to get lots of help and support as you go through this.

Best to you and your husband.

Anita

Husband Dx 12/02 Stage 4 Tonsil Cancer T1N2bM0; surgery, radiation, chemo 1/03 - 4/03.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Carnation VHC by Nestle 560 calories per 8oz...But it's very thick and may be hard to swallow going through radiation and chemo...it's doable but hard. I didn't have the PEG but came very close to needing one. I lost a solid 50 pounds just with radiation txs.

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Lori Anne,
You don't get a choice as to only eating/drinking things that taste good. You need to get the calories and nutrition one way or another. Think of it as medicine. Ensure Plus at 350 calories tastes a lot better than regular Ensure. Vanilla, Coffee and Butter Pecan were good/tolerable; chocolate and strawberry awful. Boost makes a plus version although I have never had it. After the first week or so of radiation everything tastes awful anyway so he can't say I won't eat this because I don't like it. If that is his attitude, he might as well get the PEG from the start which many do. Up to him and his radiologist. This is a rough road but doable.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Lori Ann,

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. I recieved a similar diagnosis about 15 months ago.

This disease is beatable and with proper care, I feel curable.

There are some major challenges to overcome in the next few months, but after the treatment is over, your husband WILL GET BETTER.

Welcome to this forum, as it is very helpful and encouraging to all of us.

I wish you, your husband, and your familty the best in navigating these tough times.

Best Regards,

Oscar

Stage IV (T1N2A) SCCA Rt Tonsil, Neck Dissection, 33 IMRT. One postive node. Spared chemo because no extracapsular extension of node.

Lori Ann

I was only two years younger than your husband when DX and also very healthy and fit. I echo the advice about Ensure Plus tasting the best out of bad bunch. Vanilla seemed the most tolerable flavor, and my wife would be very upset how all the supermarkets in our area had 10 or more cases out of the other flavors but only one or two of vanilla. Be reassured that the healthier and fitter you are going into this ordeal, the better the recovery. Like David, I had BOT not tonsil but IMO the addition of chemo to radiation is desirable. The two work together with the chemo making the cancer less capable of repairing the radiation damage than it would otherwise. So sorry you had to join this exclusive club

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I preferred Skandi Shakes which my wife supplemented with yogurt, protein powder, and strawberries. She would blend it with whole milk and ice. Never got a peg so this was all I had for weeks during the course of treatment. A shake morning, noon, and night. I can't say I liked them but I found them more tolerable than any of the canned supplements. Of course I used the can supplements when I needed nutrition when I was away from the house. Good luck.

Frank

SCC Right Tonsil Dx 2/25/2008 at age 43
T1N2B M0,Stage IVa
8mm primary removed 3/5/08
4cm lymph node removed 2/22/08
2 additional sub cm nodes
Tx at Stanford: 30 x IMRT, 2 x Cisplatin,
Started radiation 3/27/08, Completed 5/7/08
p16+, HPV 16+
2 Year Post-TX PET CT 5/10 - CLEAR
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard