Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Nice description Jim. Now I can't get the picture of Chip or Dale lying in the middle of the road.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Cecilia Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Thanks a lot for all of your answers. Strangely the taste has changed. Now things are acidic, except chocolate mousse. So every day i make sure there is some in the fridge. Martin says it tastes like it should. But the disappoiting thing is that after a few mouth fulls it becomes tasteless again. Apparently it is quite common. I heard a phone-in programme on French radio (I am half French, Half american and get very good radio reception for French radio), and it seemed to be a common complaint. There is a recipe book to re-introduce the pleasure of eating to radiotherapy and chemotherapy survivors. It was created by 10 chefs and cancer dieticians. I am slowly translating it, but once it is translated i will poste it. It is as much about the look of food as the taste.

Last edited by Cecilia; 01-23-2009 03:00 PM.

Girlfriend to Martin 49 years old at diagnosis
Diagnosed with SCC unknown primary June 2008.
Cancer found in single node Stage N2A (3 to 6cm).
Tonsilectomy 16th june, Radical modified neck dissection left side 30th june.
30 TX radiotherapy ended 9th October
First comparative study scan came back clear
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi my partner is 11 weeks post treatment and has been managing to eat and taste well, however he still suffers from a sore throat after eating (some things), which is concerning me as it is on the left side of his throat and his primary was the right tonsil so most of the radiotherapy was targeted at that side of his neck and mouth. He also seems to be clearing his throat alot at the moment, which he attributed to a dry mouth. I was just wondering whether other patients were still suffering a sore throat after eating this long after treatment and whether I should be concerned about him clearing his throat so much.

Thanks

Cathy

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Cathy,

It is very normal to stay on the alert for symptoms, but I can tell you that Bill still has a somewhat sore throat after eating and also clears his throat a lot and his treatments ended 16 months ago.

Some of this stuff is the new normal...the gift of radiation txs.

Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill

Thanks so much Deb, just hearing about others sharing symptoms is of great comfort. I hope Bill continues to do well.

Cathy

Cecilia Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Cathy,
Martin clears his throat a lot when he eats too and coughs after a big gulp of water. he also has a strange triple gulp, one sip of water requires 3 big gulps to go down, food however seems to need only one gulp. It's a bit strange, but it seems to work for him when he does decide to eat.
C

Girlfriend to Martin 49 years old at diagnosis
Diagnosed with SCC unknown primary June 2008.
Cancer found in single node Stage N2A (3 to 6cm).
Tonsilectomy 16th june, Radical modified neck dissection left side 30th june.
30 TX radiotherapy ended 9th October
First comparative study scan came back clear

Hello...I haven't been here in a while...I take long breaks and find myself coming back to see if I'm normal, crazy so here I am again

I enjoyed reading this thread because I thought I was going nutty with my taste one minute and not the next. Tasting the first few bites and that's it is what I mean.

I got to the point where the things my mind remembers and my nose can smell I make small portions of. For instance....

I LOVE steak, potatoes, veggies. I'll take about 3 bites of each. The fatty part of the steak is all I can taste and it has to be cooked well. After the 3rd bite of each, it pretty much goes down hill frown

This way, I can taste what I'm eating. This has managed to make me eat better actually, because I'm normally a Junk food junky LOL I went from 225lbs to 160lbs. So I'm doing good. It's a GREAT weight reduction plan laugh LOL

I want to thank you all for sharing your stories as I can always check back on my sanity smile

I do have a tip for dry mouth tho I always carried extra buttered popcorn around with me and it always kept my mouth moist. Also My doctor recommended me eating "Sour Patch" candy. LOL..can you imagine that? It does work too!

What happens is our saliva glands can get plugged up, so the sour causes it to release. I guess lemons would work too, but the sour patch is the route I took.

Hope some of this put a smile on your face and might help you out. I know I'm going to try the Zinc that someone mentioned. See if that helps as I go into my 2 year cancer free this June.

Age 55, Right side throat with ear pain. Squamous cell carcinoma of the supraglottis with cervical neck metastasis. Stage IV disease with a T3, N2, MX

March 2008, diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Folicular Lymphoma

Now taking Thyroid pills for side effects of Rad Treatments

And Life Goes On...
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Cathy

Be careful about the coughing after a big gulp of water. That could actually mean that some of the liquid is going down his airway and he might not want to gulp like that. The coughing is to clear the airway.

Patty

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
9/06 Surgery, bilateral neck dissection, 58 nodes clear PT2pN0pMx
35 rad 2006
Recurred 6/08, 1 Carboplatin, 1 Cisplatin
Surgery 9/08 - Total glossectomy, free flap from pectoral muscle, left mandible replaced using fibula
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence
6/1/09 passed away, rest in peace

My Dr got me to try lemon drop candy. No way. It made my mouth worse. My thoughts are that each one of us will have and do have our own normal and probably no 2 will be just alike. Good luck to each of us as we go thru this.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Those 2 pesky squirrels win too many times with the old Mercury on the Ins. commercial. I hopped my car up so they would lose this time David. LOL SPLAT and over.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320