Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8655 10-24-2006 03:21 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi to all!
While I am visiting my sister this week I plan on setting up a table at her local family run supermarket(with their approval) to ask for donations for my sister, specifically for help towards her $1600.00/month Cobra payments. I have exhausted all other resources that perhaps could have been of some assistance with these. My thought is to print out the Oral Cancer Facts page and also screening information as well include the link to this site. I'm hoping this will make more people aware since I believe awareness is truly the place to start. I guess I just wanted to know if this would be an okay thing to do- spread the word-right? Would it be appropriate to make up burgandy and cream ribbons if I can get the local stationary shop to donate-or are these an unknown inapplicable symbol? Any comments are appreciated. Thank you

Sarah

Sister is Stage 4 DIAG 9/06 Tongue/Tonsil /T4N1MO - BOT -right lateral/crossed midline-42 X IMRTS/ Carbo/Taxol for 7 weeks- finished treatment early 12/06-no trace to be found 1/24/07 Recurrence 12/09- rad neck and partial gloss 2/10
#8656 10-24-2006 05:12 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

I do not feel that the ribbon is well recognized, that is why we do not promote them through OCF. There are over 2700 trademark registered ribbon colors for different organizations, diseases, causes.... I can ony remember a couple - pink and red, as to what they mean.

I do not wish to sound cold here in this typewritten medium, but you must be sure that it does not appear you are raising money for OCF by handing out the pages printed from our web site. OCF's IRS 501c3 status prohibits us from helping any singular individual financially or sponsoring events that benefit one particular individual. I know that you only wish to do good in this effort, I just want it clear that we work under very specific guidelines, and the IRS is not shy about revoking an organization's non-profit status. I know you will be careful when you explain to people what you are doing now that you know this, and I wish you well, and that you encounter many generous people.

I would put up pictures of her, and a simple board that with those pictures explains her situation. A picture may touch people that would normally just walk by you.

More than that, if within our restrictions we can help you, I hope you know that we will.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#8657 10-24-2006 11:36 PM
OP Offline

Thank you for that response. Actually this is why I wrote here to be sure that the OCF would not be compromised in any way by my efforts- and yes I am working on getting pictures of her. I am thinking of gluing a penny to a card (Save a Penny)....so as long as I am clear as the donations are going directly to my sister-and then offer the printed information with the OCF facts all should be within the limits- correct?

Sarah

Sister is Stage 4 DIAG 9/06 Tongue/Tonsil /T4N1MO - BOT -right lateral/crossed midline-42 X IMRTS/ Carbo/Taxol for 7 weeks- finished treatment early 12/06-no trace to be found 1/24/07 Recurrence 12/09- rad neck and partial gloss 2/10
#8658 10-25-2006 06:29 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Sarah,

I just wanted to add to something Brian mentioned above (and I also do not want to appear cold or calculating about this, but as a CPA who has dealt with IRS issues for over 30 years, I have become a fairly cynical realist).

Since you will not be raising the money on behalf of OCF, you also can't represent to the donors that their contributions are tax-deductible. Many people believe that any donation they make to a "good cause" should be tax deductible because it was made with charitable intentions, but like it or not, that's not the way the laws were written. Hopefully there will be enough people who know your sister or her family who will be willing to help out of the goodness of their hearts.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
#8659 10-25-2006 08:51 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Sarah,

I also am a CPA licensed for 34 years now (ugh). If you can get her church to lend it's name to your cause and the church actually takes receipt of the money and checks made out to the church and even CC's if they are set up for CC's. The church can then donate the money back to your sis, maybe keeping some small % as an administrative fee, then the original donors will be able to take a tax deduction.

You could always just tell the donors that they need to consult with their tax advisor as to the deductibility of the "contribution" and forget about the church.

You may also find, depending upon the local economy, that the actual charitable contribution, which is only available to taxpayers who itemize their deductions, may not be that important when the person makes the gift.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
#8660 10-25-2006 10:49 AM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

These are good points, and if you are clear with people that this is because there are not enough personal funds, the dire situation that exists, etc. etc. you will certainly find some people that are willing to help out. I think the idea of the church getting involved is a good one since they are not held to the same constraints we are, and no one doubts that if the money goes to a church it is going to be used the way represented. There are just too many scam artists out there that screw it up for everyone. We have an old guy that sits on the sidewalk by a big shopping center near me that has a Vet needs help sign, and as people drive by him at that stop sign some will hand a bill out to him on their way by. The local TV station filmed him one day, walking back to a nice new car parked a couple of blocks away getting out of his grubby clothes and putting on a new set of jeans a shirt and driving off.... It was profitable while it lasted. Did he break the law? Maybe not, the people gave their money freely, but his identity and what he did is all over the news and I think his life will be somewhat different in the future.

Even registered charities like the Red Cross etc. get scammed. Anyone with Photoshop in his or her computer can make authentic looking ID cards etc. these days and canvas a neighborhood door to door. It has made givers cynical. And those of us like OCF have to work harder to get donations as a result.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#8661 10-26-2006 02:45 AM
OP Offline

Thank you all for these valid points and great suggestions. I will be sure to follow up on them. Penny has lived in the same small town in New England for 27 years and most people know her and her situation. I will of course be sure to be quite clear about the donations.

It is sad but true there are a lot of scams out there so let's hope people have not become to tainted. Again thanks to you all.

Sarah

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23