Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Jim,

Was that Mail Pouch just by chance Elephant Mail Pouch? That's what my grandfather use to chew, it was in a white pouch with red lettering...as they use to call it "Bacca". My grandfather use to send me down to the store and get him a pouch of bacca and a box of Parodi's(?) It was terrible if he ever fell asleep while chewing..eeck..he would drool bacca juice...yuck--talk about gagging!

Yea, I don't get it. My grandfathers generation--drank, smoked, never exercised since WWII, ate bacon/pork chops/scrapple/eggs/hash browns for breakfast and all died from old age! Here I am trying to do the right thing and get cancer at 37...go figure.

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

David, I stopped smoking over 38 years ago and stopped drinking almost 15 years ago. HNC doesn't run in my family. I haven't been tested for HPV, but I haven't been exposed to it for almost 15 years, if then.

Not only that, but I received a full course of conventional (XRT) radiation, yet, a new tumor emerged inside my tongue less that two and one-half years later -- There's more to this than we understand and I believe it foolish to think otherwise!

BTW, they have linked HNC to oxygen -- Nearly 100% of HNC victims have used the stuf for years! Prostate cancer has been found to be far more prevalent in males than in females!

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Hey their words not mine and at 60 I'm approaching that OF category. My grandfather who never seemed to have to work (how did he do that! I guess my nanny's PHD helped him) used to takew me to the park on Saturday's and I played while he and others played dominoes all day. He always had a big cigar in his mouth and he died at 98 from "old age". My nanny died at 102 so I was hoping (?) I had their genes but maybe HPV wasn't alive back then. It's as much the luck of the draw as anything.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Rita,

In strict response to your question, I was a 2 to 2&1/2 pack smoker at the time I was diagnosed in 4/06 with Base of Tongue Squamous Cell. I had been a continuous smoker for almost 40 years and never made a serious effort to quit. Most likely I would still be smoking today if not for the cancer. I left from the meeting with my ENT at Emory Univ. Hospital here in Atlanta after she gave me the verdict of the tests and have never even held any form of tobacco in my hand again. My wife and I got back to the car at the hospital where I picked up an open partial pack on the console, handed to my wife and asked that she do something with them and that was the end.

Now after completing Tx 7/06 I just recently got my latest clean scan and am good to go until next May! I have been convinced all along that it was only natural than my cancer was caused by the years of smoking. My ENT tried to make me feel better when she read the verdict by telling me that the stats show that 8% of all BOT patients have never touched tobacco. I found no comfort in that at all as I clearly fell into the other 92%. Quitting smoking was a MAJOR lifestyle change to say the least. I can't say that I have made any other changes to speak of. I never was much of an alcohol drinker and don't even have one anymore with my beloved Mexican food as my taste buds still are not kind to any form of alcohol. Beer still tastes like it is full of sugar as does wine.

Bill D.

Dx 4/27/06, SCC, BOT, Stage III/IV, Tx 5/25/06 through 7/12/06 - 33 IMRT and 4 chemo, radical right side neck dissection 9/20/06.

Rita

People like me are probably why there are not statistically signficant statistics on reoccurance between those who have newly "found religion" (giving up smoking, starting exercise, eating healthy etc) and the unrepentant ("...those who go on after treatment as per norm..."). [I know this is a secular forum but you can take the boy out of the seminary but not the seminary out of the boy}. I did not change a thing after TX because I was already eating healthy (tofu, vegetables, ZERO sugar, organic etc), exercising 6 days a week, never smoked, two beers a day max, doing yoga, pilates, etc, etc etc.. While everyone wants the magic bullet or some talisman to ward off Cancer again, being "healthy" is probably not it. I'm firmly in the genetic lottery camp. For example, my Mom smoked from when she was 14 until she gave in to our entreaties at 75 and stopped. Not even a hint of lung cancer or any oral cancer on any of her scans. Clearly, why tempt fate - so congratulations to all those who do change for the better, but it's no guarantee.

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

I've just recently started this adventure, so it hasn't sunk in yet... But I am indeed changing my lifestyle habits. First thing I did: quit coffee; that wasn't too hard. Second, I'm totally not interested in food. I think that's partially a phychological reaction to getting a mouth cancer (was I killing myself by eating?) and partially a consequence of surgery ten days ago (still only eating soft food like blended soups). I've lost almost 10 pounds, but that's almost the blessing in all of this, since I've been overweight (perhaps even obese) for over ten years. I intend to keep on losing weight (hopefully not as a consequence of more cancer-related treatments, but on my own will). The next step will be to re-start exercising; I've been more or less sedentary for ~12 years.
Was this my wake-up call? Maybe...
Sophie.

SCC on right edge of tongue & floor of mouth. Removed 11/20/08; all clear. T1NXMX. Pre-surgery neck CT scan clean.

Ray,, that was the Baccy or baccer they chewed and I think the parodi cigars are made from 99% dried horse shit and 1% wet straw. LOL my dad caught me smoking one day.. HE MADE ME SMOKE 6 packs of those nasty smelling things. That'll teach a kid a lot and do it fast. LOL

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

I had smoked but had quit by the time I was formally diagnosed. Thank God I didn't have to go through the surgery, radiation, etc at the same time as nicotine withdrawal and menopause. I'm not sure I could hide THAT many bodies without someone noticing!!!

I used to drink casually (when we had company or went out for the evening) but now limit that even more.

The biggest change in my life has been the awareness and acceptance of my mortality, the clarification of my beliefs, and recently achieving a sense of "peace" with the whole process. My anxiety level has dropped dramatically because of this. I love life and am not ready to "shuffle on down the road" - not yet anyway, but this has definitely been the biggest change in my life.

It sure didn't happen overnight, nor did it happen without the wise counsel of some professionals and some very insightful friends and OCF Family! This doesn't mean I won't 'freak out' when next confronted with a crisis, it just means that in time I will re-center myself.

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)

Donna, I had smoked for over 50 years and quit cold turkey. I never did suffer withdrawal symptoms and yes, I still reach for the cigarettes in my pocket. LOL. Force of habit I guess, but I don't have any form of tobacco in this house or in my life anymore. I am jst getting to the point of smelling smoke on peoples clothing and hair. I can't believe I actualy smelled that bad. BUt I'm not going to be one of the hold your nose and act stupid with anyone that smokes. If they are here, there is always OUTSIDE.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Jim,

I guess your dad's anti smoking method didn't work on you?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel
13,106 Registered Users
Forum Statistics