Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Sadly, there is also a political side to this because some groups consider gardasil to be like condoms, condoning sex.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

yeah have heard a bit about that but not much here in wa .. since it does nothing to prevent pregnancy etc it really is not even relevant to the cause of that argument ... main thing i have seen / heard are mild to severe effects from it and merck sayin oh that cant be the drug ... uhuh sure it cant ... that is why it is hundreds to thousands of gals who have gardasil in common having the same problems

Last edited by azcallin; 12-07-2008 04:00 PM.

Rita - Age 44
wife, mother of 4 - ages 3,16,21,24 & grandma to 1
(R upper) Maxillectomy 8/8/08 - UW / Seattle, WA.

===============================

"Those who think by the inch and speak by the yard, should be kicked by the foot."

"OCF Canuck"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Where did you read about these side effects? Any links?

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

My daughter got her first round of guardisil in Sept. She got several shots at that time including a shot for the flu and a chickenpox booster. She had not one single reaction to any of the shots. Next week is her 2nd shot of guardisil. I dont expect her to have any side effects from it but will post if she does. Out of the girls in her class, she is the only one who has gotten the shot. There are pros and cons for having this shot. I prefer to try to protect my child from becoming a cancer victim in the future.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

I realize I can google this, what I meant was where is the actual documentation of these dreadful side effects and death? The most serious side effects I have seen have been sore arms and some fainting. Granted, this immunization does hurt more than most, but for what it does, I think it is worth it.

As usual, I think the internet has been promoting fear with no actual evidence. One can google virtually anything and find "proof" that it kills.

There have been reports of anaphylaxis or allergic reactions but only for some reason in Australia, and no one died from them. The company is investigating these.

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

As for how long immunity lasts, that is an issue for any vaccination. Many require some booster at some time. Tetanus requires one every 10 years, does that mean it is a bad vaccination? You cannot know if a booster is required in 10,20,40 years etc until that time has passed since starting vaccinations. Should vaccination be delayed until decades have passed for this to be determined?

http://www.steadyhealth.com/Gardarsil_shot__Late_period__Negative_Pregnancy_test__t108560.html

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/63586.php

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/health/17557347/detail.html

bunch more if you wish to read more. i didnt look it up until my own daughter had problems.

note it has not been proven to even work - and if it does work it only will work on 1-3 of over 100 strains of HPV out there.

not going to argue with anyone over any thing but also will not stand by and say something is grand just because the company making the $1000 PER PERSON is spending millions to push it - lets look into it for ourselves...i did - very extensively...

just hate to see people taking everything for granted because someone said it was good.

Rita - Age 44
wife, mother of 4 - ages 3,16,21,24 & grandma to 1
(R upper) Maxillectomy 8/8/08 - UW / Seattle, WA.

===============================

"Those who think by the inch and speak by the yard, should be kicked by the foot."

OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Rita - you are misinformed here and your points are not thought through. Yes it only works on four of 120 versions of HPV - but only versions16 and 18 cause cervical cancer, and only 16 causes oral cancers. So the bottom line is who ares if it doesn't do anything for the many other versions that appear to have no negative impact on our bodies when we get them? You want a universally effective magic bullet? It does not exist in any medicine.

The web is full of misinformation and "urban myth". The science behind this is good. I could post a page and a half here about the research that went into this, but I will leave you with this one thought. The most important thing in the world of vaccines that was ever produced and saved hundreds of thousands, was the polio vaccine. Some people had adverse reactions to it, the actual results of the program (like any new product) wasn't known for a couple of decades as the clinical trial work and short term 5 year tests were positive enough to take it out to market. HPV vaccines (and so many others that we have used for decades) are no different.

There are tons of people against vaccines in general, that wrongly think they cause autism and more. I lecture on these things almost every month, and I work with independent researchers, not just the doctors behind the development of this particular vaccine that understand and believe that this is the most import progress we have made in preventing the mandatory precursor event that will cause a cancer in their lifetimes. If those of you with questions are going to want absolutes in life, vaccines, or whatever, you will be sorely disappointed. We are all unique biological entities and nothing, even aspirin, works the same in all of us. The question is - will the overwhelming number of individuals benefit from it.....

As to the side effects for the rest of you who have worried about this, there can be some. But the question is are they a direct cause and event tie to the vaccine? The FDA does not think so. And the ones that do have a cause and effect, are not life changing. Further, are the number of adverse events and types well documented, by whom, and is it different that similar biological events occurring in the unvaccinated population? Then answer to that last question is, it is the same.

This is a personal choice thing. No one is forcing anyone to get vaccinated. And that is the way it should be. Where it will have profound impact is in third world countries where cervical cancer screenings and pap smears are just never done, and cervical cancer is a huge killer.

azcallin - I am fighting to not even reply to your post, but I can't help myself. Your numbers are not substantiated by the FDA, nor has any death been directly linked to the vaccine. If it had caused 18 deaths it would have been pulled by the FDA from the market if they could document it as the direct cause. This is just urban myth spreading, and you are part of the process that perpetuates it. Your medical news today post was from Feb of 2007, and there are now more than 18 million young girls vaccinated in the US and millions more in 41 other countries. What is the ratio of severe reactions in the vaccinated group to a group of equal age, gender etc. that was not? About the same. The fact that their study had 1200 hundred girls in it is irrelevant at this point in time, given the numbers that have been treated. Your steady health organization information, is from an unregulated, unmonitored, public forum where someone could post that they think the moon is made of green cheese. That isn't the basis of any usable facts and would appreciate it if you would not post links to public forums that are not monitored on this web site as ssources f usable facts. Lastly, the ABC TV story has a young girl, with no medical documentation or proof, stating that the vaccine made her sick. She knows this because of.....? Timing? Coincidence? Her medical experience and degree? The news story also includes this statement: "Experts at the FDA and CDC also continue to review data and, in July, said 'Gardasil continues to be safe and effective, and its benefits continue to outweigh its risks.'" I'm sure the girl got sick. But proof that the vaccine caused it? Doesn't exist. Could be though. She is a unique biological entity, and the vaccine and her genome might be a bad mix. But this is not evidence based information worth posting as fact. If we do not look at things based on evidence instead of opinion or heresay, you might as well belive that eating Big Macs is good for your heart.... I'm sure that if McDonald's has any bloggers out there talking about the burgers they love, there are some that have this viewpoint, and continue to stuff them in their faces and post that they are healthy on open forums. The web is a free forum for people of all intelligence levels, knowledge, and agendas, to have their say. Readers!!! Be a critical thinker, or suffer the fate of not understanding or getting the right information.

The shot does not cost $1000.00 Even if it did, and it prevented you from getting cervical, oral, anal, penis, and perhaps other cancers that we are just now developing data from, I think you would find that cheap compared to hundreds of thousands of dollars for treatment, or of course DEATH.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

I agree with what Brian is saying. It is very common for young girls to have irregular periods, usually simply due to hormonal fluctuations that tend not to stabilize until well into the 20's.

As for Guillain-Barre syndrome, many vaccines can rarely cause this, and it is more common with multiple vaccinations at one time. It is advised to give Gardasil on its own to lower the chance of this happening. The flu vaccine by-the-by, is a prime offender for Guillan-Barre.....and its protection is known to last only 6 months....

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics