Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#80623 09-17-2008 06:50 PM
OP Offline

Hi my name is Michele,I was operated three years ago with squamous cell tongue cancer, the bottom part of my tongue was removed and I had a full neck disection, lucky for me no chemo or radiation. I have been going every three to four months for checks and this month I notice a white hard spot on my tongue and my doctor put me on fungus meds for two weeks, i'm in mental distress thinking i have to wait two weeks and if meds don't take care of this then its removal time and sent to the lab. I think that this would be too long. I never knew about this forum and for three years have been suffering mentally about recurrance of cancer and picked up this pamplet today and call Brian Hill who introduced me to this site. I hope that survivors and whoever has knowledge about how I feel is there, knowing that there are others out there somewhere like me. please help and write back

MicheleM
April 05,SCC stage 2, tumor removed under tongue and floor of tongue, full neck disection with numerous lymph nodes removed. No radiation or chemo April 09, SCC stage 2 rt side of tongue 30% rt side removed, radiation will follow
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Hi Michele -

It was good talking with you on the phone tonight, and I'm glad to see that you were able to get onto the message board without any problems. This is a really great group of people, very supportive and very knowledgeable. Please follow through tomorrow and tell you doc you want that biopsy.

I'm the first to answer your post, but I know others will chime in here tomorrow and you'll get to know everyone soon. I hope this turns out to be no big deal, and just another one of those post cancer "bumps in the night" that scare us all.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Me2 Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Michele - I understand the fear you are experiencing, I have been there for sure! I am over 2 years out but have had several scares that required biopsies and/or additional diagnostic scans. Luckily, all of them were negative. The waiting and worrying is an awful thing, but perhaps you can take comfort in the fact that quite a few of us have gone through the same experience, and been convinced the cancer is back, only to find out that everything is OK.... I really understand your feelings, though, believe me, and hope that helps a little...

Ginny M. SCC of Left lateral tongue Dx 04/06,Surgery MDACC 05/11/06: Partial glossectomy with selective neck dissection. T1N0M0 - no radiation. Phase III clinical trial ("EPOC" trial)04/07 thru 04/08 because tests showed a 65% chance of recurrence. 10 Year Survivor!
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Hi Michelle:

Welcome to OCF. Its a wonderful place to get tons of info not just on the forum but also on the main site. You will get lots of support here from people who have been there and gone thru what you are dealing with.

Anticipation is always difficult. I understand how upsetting this is to you but worrying isnt going to help you feel better. The stress can make you feel worse. Try to relax and tomorrow is another day, talk to the doc about this.

Best of luck.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Hi Michelle,

Welcome to OCF. I assume by Brian's post that he has urged you to get a biopsy done rather than waiting for 2 weeks. With a white, hard area on the tongue, especially with someone that has a history of SCC, I would fully agree with that recommendation.

Good luck and I hope it turns out to be nothing.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics