Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi I am a natural worrier just my makeup also so very analytical so I wonder about everything it is truly a curse at times and at other times it has been a benefit. I am just still wondering if getting a flap done causes you much grief from what I am reading and understanding it is really delicate surgery. I am basically having the whole bottom of my mouth removed and reconstructed with wrist skin and a free flap. I am no stranger to work done in my mouth as I have had all my teeth removed ealier in life so have had experience with the messed up mouth but the doctor explained to me that the flap was so my tongue would be useable and not just flop around to one side. I am just curious about the healing process did how long before eating again did you have trouble eating and did you need much speech therapy? Gosh sorry to bombard you but things I have been thinking about

Thanks again for writing

Dianne

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY

Dianne,

I had a free flap done on May 19 and was speaking clearly within a week and drinking by the time I went home 10 days after surgery. From what I can tell, part of what made the difference for me was the surgeon was able to preserve the tip of my tongue so I had very little trouble learning how to use it again. I've been told by many people that they can't tell I've even had surgery.

Stage IV SCC lt lateral tongue, surgery 5/19/08 (partial gloss/upper neck dissection left side/radial free flap reconstruction) IMRT w/weekly Cisplatin & Erbitux 6/30/08, PEG 1 6/12/08 - out 7/14 (in abdominal wall, not stomach), PEG 2 7/23/08 - out 11/20/08, Tx done 8/18/08
Second SCC tumor, Stage 1, rt mobile tongue, removed 10/18/2016, right neck dissection 12/9/2016
Third SCC tumor, diagnosed, 4/19/2108, rt submandibular mass, HPV-, IMRT w/ weekly Cisplatin, 5/9 - 6/25/2018, PEG 3 5/31/2018
OP Offline

Wow that is good news and thanxs. That helps me a lot I am slowly thinking as information is sinking in that I can do this one step at a time feel like I am riding a unicycle and am still very shaky on the whole think and I know I won't know all the answers until I am in the moment. It seems it doesn't matter how prepared someone is you can never be prepared enough. I am just concerned cause I already live with chronic pain and sometimes this just seems to add to it. I am also concerned about the eating cause I am diabetic and the lows are very scary especially if I can't eat!! I won't keep you just wanted to say thanks....

Dianne

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY
"OCF Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi again Dianne,
My return to what they call the new normal here took a little longer however now I am able to eat most things luckily and other than what sounds like a slight lisp my speech is fine. At least that is what others tell me. I did speech therapy a few times and found it helpful. Now I practice on my cockatiel (of the parrot family). I talk a lot but at 6 months old he/she has not started yet but at least understands most of what I say (like hello, shut up eek good boy etc.).
After the 2nd week I was eating things like thin porridge, custards and the like and would blend lots of different fruits in season to make smoothies.
It is a good idea to get a stick blender which is very cheap and easy to clean.
One of the things that helped pass the time when I got home other than watching TV was inventing different recipes that I was able to eat. You will find a whole lot of posts here where people have added their recipes. Let me know if you cannot find it and I will send the link. After around 1 month I was up to working from home for part of the day even though I was in contact via email even from the hospital on my Blackberry. Sorry but as you can see from my profile I am in IT and I did have this luxury available to me.
One thing I did do before my operation was buy a small children�s white board to write on and erase for communicating not only with friends and family but nursing staff and doctors. You mention you will have a tracheotomy as I did and this at least will allow you to communicate. Pen and paper will do just as well. Again..let me know if I can add more.
I am happy to give you a call and have a chat if you would like.
Gabriele

History Leukoplakia bx 8/2006 SCC floor mouth T3N0M0- Verrucous Carcinoma.
14 hour 0p SCC-Right ND/excision/marginal mandibulectomy 9/2006, 4 teeth removed, flap from wrist, trach-ng 6 days- no chemo/rad.
6 ops and debulking (flap/tongue join) + bx's 2006-2012.
bx Jan 2012 Hyperkeratosis-Epithelial Dysplasia
24cm GIST tumour removed 8/2013. Indefinite Oral Chemo.

1/31/16 passed away peacefully surrounded by family

OP Offline

Well I guess I am well on my way armed with a lot of information and lots of questions for my doctor. There is still a lot of uncertainties mainly around whether or not I myself have the strength for this. I have gathered quite a bit of information but I am afraid I am a really big wuss. You would think living with all kinds of chronic pain arthritis,deteriorating disks,fibromyalgia, nerve damage, and neuropathy just to name a few off the top of my head) that I could handle this. I just have had enough of doctors and being treated badly by the medical profession now this. This is my worst nightmare me having to deal with needles and wires and pumps and drains and DOCTORS. I just can't seem to wrap my mind around it as that is why I haven't been to a doctor in years. They always blamed everything on my smoking or my weight. I am so tired of that already. I am no stranger to operations or hospitals but for some reason this particular surgery is really affecting me. I should not be so freaked out by it as I have had my teeth removed so the mouth part not used to but have experienced. I have had a gastric bypass which has given me experience with the tubes and such. I think it is about the trach that is making me nervous and the neck part. cry But still cannot get over this one even though I so many people before me have gone through it fine. I think just plain and simple have accepted this but am truly scared well scared enough to quit smoking.

I am having a bad day today with pain and wanting a smoke really bad but am fighting it with all my strength. mad I usually don't get much pain from the oc but lately the side of my neck and jaw seem to just ache and sharp pains in my ear. Not sure if they are real or just really bad mind tricks. anyway thanks for your reply and I just might take you up on that chat. I am still organizing my thoughts, information and questions.

Dianne

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics