Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Cosmo Offline OP
OP Offline

[quote=wilckdds]Cosmo,

As you can see by my signature below, I had a partial glossectomy and a neck dissection. I was treated at a Comprehensive Cancer Center and was seen by a surgeon and a radiation oncologist before the final treatment plan was decided upon. There are many factors which should go into making a decision about how to proceed with a treatment plan.

The advice given above to get an opinion at a CCC is good advice. I assume that you meant to say that you are a Stage II not Phase II. In order for others to better answer your questions, it would be a good idea to fill in your signature so everyone can see where you are coming from. Remember that none of us are treating oncologists and that we can only answer your questions and give you our opinions based upon our experiences and in my case (and Dr. Mike's) some dental input, as we are dentists.

You should read the first forum for new posters so you will learn how to get the most from this forum.

I wish you luck with your treatment and please feel free to email me if you want to have a personal discussion.

Jerry

[/quote]

Jerry,

To fill in the blanks left:
Yes I am stage two and I've been to all of the above CCC, oncologist, etc...

I am ready to proceed with surgery and I just want to know what to expect. It seems you have been where I am headed and I just wanted to know what to expect as far as recovery. I've heard that my voice is going to change among other things and I just want to know from someone who has been through this what should I expect.

Thank you in advance.

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Cosmo,

I have not run into any two people here that have had the exact treatment plans or the same reactions to similar treatments. So bear this in mind.

Briefly, my experience was the removal of a 2 centimeter radius, semicircular area of the lateral border of my tongue and the removal of 30 (negative) lymphnodes from my neck. I was in the hospital for 4 days and ate no solid foods for 10 days. I went through both physical and speech therapy for several months and was able to return to work in about 3 1/2 weeks with a limited patient load. It was decide that I didn't need chemo or radiation. There are only a few of us here that have not had treatment beyond surgery. So far, so good.

That is the short version. I am going to email you a copy of an article that I wrote for a dental magazine that is due out any day now, which gives a more detailed rundown of my story.

I hope this helps and if there is anything else I or anyone else can do you for you, please let us know.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Cosmo,
My 1st surgery removed a small portion of tongue and a few lymph nodes on right side. ENT was overcaustious and 2 weeks later needed a little more of tongue removed. 4 months later it was back. This time I got to a Cancer Care Center.A month later(day before Thanksgiving) they removed most of the tongue and put in a flap which was made from left forearm. (A flap replaces the area they removed. It looks like your tongue but doesn't move,the remainder of real tongue has to work harder to move the whole thing. It has no taste buds and mine doesn't have feeling.) Also removed all lymph nodes from right neck, all negative. Had chemo and radiation. One positive node from left neck removed. After the surgery at Fox Chase Cancer Center I couldn't talk or eat for a few days. Talking came back pretty quick - can't shut me up for too long - but eating took longer. I had speech therapy for awhile which not only helped with speaking but with swallowing and tongue exercises. Started on shakes,pureed foods and soft food. Was getting the hang of eating then radiation messed that up and I had to use a Peg feeding tube for a few months. Now I'm drinking shakes, smoothies and can eat soft veggies, cheerios, potato salad and a few other things. Very surprisingly, I didn't lose too much taste. I thought between losing so many taste buds from tongue missing and radiation killing some that I wouldn't taste anything, but I can taste just about everything. The neck dissection to remove lymph nodes wasn't so bad for me either. The surgeon was great and the scar kind of blends in with the folds of the neck. I have full movement with a little numbness. If you have movement problems you can get physical therapy to help. As wilckdds(Jerry) said none of have the exact same responses to treatment but I hope this helped a little. Keep us posted on when surgery is and how things are going.

Karen-age 47 5/07stage 1 tongue right side partial glossectomy 3nodes removed on right. 6/07 didn't get it all-2nd partial glossectomy. 11/07 stage 3(?) partial glossectomy,flap.all nodes removed on right side. 1/08 peg tube. IMRT 39tx,chemo-cisplatin. 5/08 left side 1 lymph node w/cancer - removed

Karen,

Were you treated at the main Hospital in Philly or one of the satelite locations? My scar is almost impossible to see also.....probably the same surgeon.

Cosmo,

Glad we got to speak tonight. I sent you my cell phone number. Don't hesitate to call.

Good luck Tuesday.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"

Hi Jerry,
Yes, I was at the main FCCC in Philly. Great place !!!

Karen

Karen-age 47 5/07stage 1 tongue right side partial glossectomy 3nodes removed on right. 6/07 didn't get it all-2nd partial glossectomy. 11/07 stage 3(?) partial glossectomy,flap.all nodes removed on right side. 1/08 peg tube. IMRT 39tx,chemo-cisplatin. 5/08 left side 1 lymph node w/cancer - removed

Cosmo, from your location in Va. , I would guess you have been to a Comprehensive Cancer Center for the diagnosis. Most of us here have been thru the procedure that you will face. Let us know what the Dr has planned when he does your surgery. I bet you will get some good answers on what you can expect then.Got ya in the prayers.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Hey Cosmo where are you in VA?

Lost my mother, Minnie, to Oral Cancer October 29th, 2008. I am so thankful she had the OCF to help her through her five year struggle.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Cosmo:

I am sorry to hear about your news. I bet you are overwhelmed I know I was. It is so much to take in at once. I have however found a lot of helpful insite here talking to these very supportive people. I have yet to have any treatment and am still waiting further tests.

Although I understand the importance of a second opinion. In this area there is only one hospitial that specializes in head and neck cancers. All the doctors are under one roof and they confer with each other. For me to get a second opion would involve going back to my oral surgeon possibly back to an urgent care clinic as I have no family doctor and the wait would be substantially longer and also there would be further travel involved. I feel my hands are tied if I want this issue dealt with post haste. At this time I still feel it is taking too long.

I know you have come to the right place to find information

Take care no matter where the location we are all in this together!!!!

Dianne

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users