Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I had some lymph edema (i think) about 3 weeks ago and posted here about it. I saw my oncologist surgeon who suggested a cat scan "just to be sure". I saw MO today and asked about cat scan results - seeing as I hadn't heard from the surgeon. He found the report and advised that mouth and lymph nodes on side of my neck are fine, but there appears to be a "thickening or area of concern" in my throat right around the voice box area. I don't know if this area of concern is on the voice box or in that area.

MO said it could be just fluid or it could be a small cancer and that they would need a scope to further investigate. I said to him ..."okay...if it IS cancer what then". He said the usual 3 options but said I shouldn't get ahead of myself. Given my "luck" quotient so far, its hard NOT to get ahead of myself. I always feel I need to be doing something - so at least thinking there is a treatment option gives me hope.

Surgeon couldn't see me today - talked to surgeons nurse but she hasn't seen the ct report yet and doesn't know what type of scope they are talking about. I was sure that some of you might have some information/experiences to share and I would very much appreciate hearing from you.

I'm working hard NOT to panic....its not cancer till they say it is, etc, etc....but I had noticed changes to my voice in the last while and I had mentioned them. My last cat scan was at the end of March - this one was end of July so hopefully???? its early if it is something???

When, just WHEN do I get better at dealing with all this?

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Donna

IF its cancer then you are correct that it is caught very early. The word is IF!!!!!! I know its easier said than done but please try not to worry.

Ive been thru this twice and recently had a scare that I was in for a third round of cancer. Most doctors in my opinion treat symptoms, they arent proactive enough. I hope you get into see the surgeon quickly. Im not sure how a biopsy of that area is done. My cancers were in my left cheek twice and behind a top molar.

Im sure there are others on here who have more experience with this type of oral cancer. Just know that you are being seen by several doctors who are watching you, so if something is wrong they will find it quickly. Hang in there.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I am afraid I am not much help for you except to give some support. The waiting game is a killer!! I too am waiting for a cat scan and surgery date to get rid of the tumor. I won't rest easy until I get the results from the cat scan as there are some uncertanties as to how far along it is and what exact treatments I will need. Hang in I understand and can relate to how hard it is but the people on this site have really great insights and will give you wonderful advice.

Dianne

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Donna, I'm waiting also, I've had a CtScan and Ultrasound showing tumors on the liver. I'm waiting for ultrasound based biopsy for the real proof. It's been over 3 weeks and no appointment yet. They say the paperwork is in the system. What else can I do? Worring is bad for my health! I had tonsil cancer 4 years ago. I was told 2 months ago I was pretty much cured! Things change. If this is the same cancer (a secondary)thats been growing for years, a month or two isn't going to matter. I read a book by Bernadine Healy MD "Living Time" Transforming your Cancer Journey. She suggests we use our waiting time wisely without panic and understand that even though this is a very serious illness,We have time! It's not a heart attack,even though it feels that. I always feel as though I need to be doing something,too.So I'm spending time taking care of myself,healthy foods,relaxation exercises,soothing music,swimming and so on. I'm reducing stress any way I can. I know in the next few weeks,I'll have the biopsy and the results a few days later. I will be in the right place to make decisions and continue with my life, with all it's ups and downs and the many surprises that come one way or another. My heart goes out to you. It is difficult waiting.... Tom Roussell

SCC Tonsil Rt T3 N2b M0 side DX Jan 04 Tx 36 Rad 3 cisplatin Tx ending May 04. partial neck dissection july 04..... July 15,08 mets to liver Age 57...Did Methotrexate Sept 08. Now on a trial drug Panitumumab, Feb4,09 treatments stopped. going to Tibetan Medicine.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Donna,
I had a ct scan in march, 2005 that revealed a "thickening in my epiglottic fold" I freaked out needless to say. It turned out to be nothing, and was later told that i possibly wasnt expanded enough during the scan(something about how i held my breath during the pictures). I have been told there is still some thickening or some other changes caused by the scar tissue from radiation, but that is expected due to what we endured. As far as dealing with it, I still dont know the answer to that. I broke down in my mo's office today because i cant seem to get a handle on my residual pain. Radiation - the gift that keeps on giving! I hope this turns out to be nothing for you, but I think Tom offers some sound advice. I myself have to learn how to do it, relax, that is. Because being stressed is really just time wasted. I wish you luck for a good outcome.

Kelley

SCC tonsil(left) with contralateral mets. Modified right neck disection August, 2002. 33 rads(62 gy)both sides of neck and 3 cycles cisplatin completed October 25, 2002. 34 yo at time of diagnosis

The scope they are talking about, jst goes down your throat, while you are under anesthesia and they can look around very good at everything. It isn't bad at all and would be beneficial in your case like it was in mine. I still have to get the scope for barretts Esophagus. You will be fine and whip whatever is in there.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users