Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
nervous Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

hi all...

i read all your responses to august when she posted for me a few weeks ago and want to thank all of you! your well wishes and prayers mean a lot to us. it is so great and i tell everyone what a relief it is to know i am not alone. all went fine (or as fine as it could have) and taking everything since the maxillectomy one day at a time. in some ways things were better than i anticipated, some a little harder. at 3 weeks since the maxillectomy, i am talking great, looking really practically normal and getting around and about. not able to eat solids yet though but working on it. the first week and 1/2 were the roughest. today, physically doing super well, emotionally tougher but i know on my way, it will just take time. my family and husband were and continue to be a tremendous help. the boys too came thru great. ben (my 7 year old) had a horrible time beforehand and then couldn't look at me for 4 days afterward, but now back to normal. sam turned 5 the day i got home and luckily didn't get any of it. could not get outta the hosp. fast enough and even though i certainly couldn't sing, i got to see him blow out his candles (maybe the not singing thing may have been a plus, lol!)

unfortunately - i found out at my post-op this past wednesday that they did not get a clean margin. though i am sure most of you know, since tumor is in the bone, pathology was after the fact. very close, but not close enough. pretty devastating, but as we all know, have to get every last cell outta there and it is better now than later. will be taking some more jaw and another molar tomorrow. i knew the risk but as always these days with this tumor (ameloblastoma) still so shocked. so off to surgery again tomorrow morning and all the parents are presently on their way back to philly for round #2. please keep us in your thoughts and will keep you updated. i am sure this time won't be nearly as traumatic as the first one 3 weeks ago. a set-back for sure but will deal. may be breaking me a little, but forever grateful it cannot do anything more than that...

marieka

ameloblastoma, upcoming total maxillectomy
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Sorry to hear they didn't get it all the first time -- Same thing happened with me and they did it again within days -- Second time is easier, of course, because one knows what to expect and there aren't all those uncertainties and unknowns lurking in the background.

It's tough on the kids because they see us as the bedrock in our lives and it's upsetting to say the least discovering the bedrock has some weak points -- In fact, that's why it's upsetting to all our friends and families to see the norm shattered when something like this impacts someone inside the circle of friends.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Marieka,

I heard from Colleen yesterday, after getting back from my vacation, about what was going on. I'm so sorry to hear that you have to go through another surgery.

As you probably, know I spoke to Lance before I left and I will give him a call tonight to see how you are doing.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Marieka
Just wanted to wish you well...sending lots of positive vibes your way.

Marica

Caregiver to husband (Pete) Stage IV Base of Tongue. Dx 04 2003 Chemo/Radiation no surgery.. doing great!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23