Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#77498 07-25-2008 03:01 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

I have developed these splotches on my tounge, at first I thought they were blisters but they do not hurt nor will they go away. I have had them for over a month now. Any ideas on what they could be? I go see my Rad Dr on the eight of August but I'm thin king I may make it earlier. Also anyone have any ideas on how to clean the tounge? I do drink a lot of coffee and I brush constantly but I get this junk on my tounge and it won't wash.

49 years young 9/2007 Squamous Cell Carcinoma 33 rad treatments. One year later, 9/17/2008 50 years old through the Grace of God. last check up all clear. Living life as it comes to me.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Lepreckaun
Tongue problems...well...here we go.
You posted, "I have developed these splotches on my tounge, at first I thought they were blisters but they do not hurt nor will they go away."
I need a little more detail on the splotches.
How big are they? (pin head, dime, quarter)
How many? (one, three, five or more)
Are they the same size?
Do they look smooth or rough?
Red, white or mixed red and white?
What does the border around them look like?
Are they painful or sensitive when you eat/drink acidic or spicy?
Do they appear to move around get larger or smaller?
How long since you first noticed them?
Ok, if you can answer the above I may be able to give you some ideas.
Cleaning the tongue is something everyone should do as well as, cleaning the cheeks and roof of the mouth. You can buy many different brands of tongue scrapers and rinses but they are really unnecessary if you do the following; (if a retail product motivates you to be more diligent then go for it but, it is unnecessary. A toothbrush works fine.)
Floss your teeth properly and gently, brush your teeth methodically (gently) making sure you clean all of the surfaces and massage the gum gently with your toothbrush. If the bristles on your toothbrush look like this after three months or less, "\\\///", you are using way too much pressure when you brush. Rinse your mouth out with a non-alchol oral rinse vigorously for 2 minutes and spit it out. Stick your tongue out and with gentle strokes brush your tongue from back to front. After every stroke rinse your toothbrush. When you have covered the whole tongue do the same with your cheeks and palate. After you have accomplished all of this rinse with a neutral sodium fluoride rinse for approx. 2 minutes and spit it out. Don't eat or drink for thirty minutes to allow the fluoride to penetrate the enamel.
Don't expect that the first time you perform this that your tongue will apear pink and clean. The pappilae have crevices and it may take a few days of following this routine to fully cleanse them. If it hurts you are doing it wrong and if your tongue bleeds your are doing it wrong. Don't try and go to the back of your throat and gag yourself or worse start puking.
The rinse can be salt and water if you like, 1/2 teaspoon of salt in 1/2 cup of warm water is all you need. More salt doesn't make it any more effective. CAUTION: If you suffer from high blood pressure or heart disease or have been told to limit your salt intake you should use salt and water rinses sparingly. The direct capillary absorption under the tongue can cause problems in individuals with these conditions.
I hope this helps.
Contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
OP Offline

Dr. Mike, WOW! Ok I have copied and pasted your questions so I can answer them Lepreckaun
Tongue problems...well...here we go.
You posted, "I have developed these splotches on my tounge, at first I thought they were blisters but they do not hurt nor will they go away."
I need a little more detail on the splotches.
How big are they? (pin head, dime, quarter)
How many? (one, three, five or more)
Are they the same size?
Do they look smooth or rough?
Red, white or mixed red and white?
What does the border around them look like?
Are they painful or sensitive when you eat/drink acidic or spicy?
Do they appear to move around get larger or smaller?
How long since you first noticed them?
Ok, if you can answer the above I may be able to give you some ideas.there are five or more they look smooth and feel smoth. They are red and there is no border around them. they are not sensitive. I can not eat aciddy or salty things. I have not been able to since the radiation treatments. No they do not move around and no they do not disappear. I noticed them probably a month ago. I do not have insurance and there fore can not afford to run to the drs all the time. I have come on this board several times and have found my ansewrs with out even asing but I couldn't find anything this time. Also I had to buy a bay toothbrush and the tooth paste I use is biotene. I also use the biotene mouth wash but it burns my mouth. everything burns my mouth. I have lost 75 pounds and am down to 105 from 180 in September. I am truely getting depressed. I know I am rambling now and am sorry. I hope I have answered the questions you needed answering. Thanks

49 years young 9/2007 Squamous Cell Carcinoma 33 rad treatments. One year later, 9/17/2008 50 years old through the Grace of God. last check up all clear. Living life as it comes to me.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to the Turkey of the month club. LOL I think we have a huge flock on here . I wonder if the ladies get this turkey neck look too. I lost about 66lbs, down from 218 to 152 a few minutes ago. Look a lot like Ickabod Crane and the headless horseman. LOL I have a black tongue that my RO says isfingus and gave me a script for it about a month ago. I still have it but it comes and goes. I just want to wish you the best in getting rid of whatever you have.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users