Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Pats on the back are about proportional to the criticism I have found. You can't please everyone, and no good deed goes unpunished. But you are absolutely right, I can have a day when everything is turning to dog poop, and someone says I helped, or did good in some small way, and all is right in the world again.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Hi Barb,

I've been away for 2 weeks and am now plodding through all the forums and happened upon this post.

I am "Jerry", the other DDS, here. If there was such a thing as an honory dental degree, Brian would surely qualify for it. As I am late in getting to your post, I really have nothing of substance to add to the great advice that you have received from my "colleagues", Brian and Mike (and Christine, too). I hope that your appontment with the endodontist is soon, as he/she should be very easily able to determine what is going on. The only problem might be is that you have been on the clindamycin now for awhile and this could mask the problem. The endodontist might want to see you again (after stopping the antibiotic) if it can't be determined if you have an infected tooth.

Congratulations on stopping smoking and I hope that you continue to be tobacco free and that you simply have an abcessed tooth. I look forard to reading good news from you.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Barb1 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi all

By way of a quick update, I saw the endodontist. I was on the clindamycin and I'm not sure what that did or didn't do... X-ray showed him nothing of substance and his exam revealed no need for a root canal - pulp is vital, tooth is testing normal.

Lump is still there - he saw it and felt it, pronounced it "fleshy and hard to figure out (out of his expertise) but not an abcess" which I already knew. He recommended an oral surgery consult. I have a dark spot on the opposing side of this tooth, below the tooth on the inner gum (I'm not adept at descriptions) -- he said it looked like an amalgam tattoo.

I did also see an ENT who did a fairly thorough exam, pulled out my tongue, looked way back in my throat, felt the lump, looked in my ears... saw nothing, but said he wants the lump out if it doesn't go away in 6 weeks. He said it didn't strike him as suspicious, as lots of things can grow in one's mouth.

I see the oral surgeon on Aug 15. I'd like him to look closely at that tooth and that area in general, a) because of the lump and b) because there's been some significant loss of gum around that tooth (underneath it) and c) it looks icky back there. "It" being the tooth and icky, of course, is a professional term.

Most of the symptoms are gone now... no answer to that one, though their disappearance coincided with my recently beginning to take Zyrtec for seasonal allergies I didn't know I had.

Thanks so much for all of your input and inquiry. This oral surgeon comes highly recommended, so we'll see what he says. You all have far bigger fish to fry than my goofy mouth, so I'll not pester you further.

Know that each and every one of you is in my thoughts and prayers. I found this site thinking of myself and my worries and have found that it's opened my eyes to a whole bunch of other folks and their worries. That didn't come out quite right, but again ... I'll be pulling for every one of you.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Barb

Thank you for updating. Sounds like your doctors are on top of your problem. Its great news that they feel its no cause for alarm and will watch it. I always like to read good news, thanks smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma