Next Thread
Print Thread
#77156 07-18-2008 10:10 AM
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Today I noticed a large lump - approximately 3" long and 2" wide which runs along the scar from my last surgery October 2007. It protrudes fairly significantly. If I turn my head to the left the lump feels firm, if I look forward the lump appears to have a softer outer layer. This lump starts at about the bottom of my ear and runs down from there.

So my gut immediately went into panic mode, but I tried to calm myself thinking that cancer just doesn't pop up that large and that fast, it isn't cancer till someone says its cancer, etc, etc. I have an appointment to see my surgeon on Monday morning but as all of you are familiar with, it is going to be a long weekend.

Anyone have any thoughts on what this might be? I did go see the surgeons nurse this morning and she said it is too low to be salivary gland, last checkup did show "mild lymphodemia on right side", but she had no idea what this was. Good that she saw it today she can tell the surgeon probably more accurately and calmly than I can.

As I said in the title - HELP.

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Geez Donna, I wasn't wanting to read this. I have no idea what it could possibly be and have been thru similar bumps and lumps. My Dr had a Pet done on my neck and shoulder area and said he really didn't see anything in my neck. But he did see something in my neck that he firgured he would see. LOL Now that just makes me feel so much better. Got you in the prayers.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
EzJim #77160 07-18-2008 12:39 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Donna,

I've recently been going to a cranial sacral / physical therapist who specialized in lymphadema. Here is a link to some of the lymphatic drainage massage techniques they've given me. I've noticed a big difference over the past few months. My face would get puffy now and again... I've noticed that my face is much more even from doing them. I also wher ethis compression neck garmet for a few hours a day. Maybe these excercises will help you.
(the site says they are for a natural "facelift"- but they are virtually the same as what my therapist showed me).

http://www.reflexology-education-now.com/face-lift.html

Take care and try not to worry too much. Sorry you have to deal with this.

LOVE Kate

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Let's pray it's not one or more nodes but I assume this is on the same side where you had your ND.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

I had this same thing, and it freaked me out. It turned out to be an accumulation of lymph fluids. These eventually resolved through massage and time. It was painless, followed along the scar line, (looked and felt like there was a rope under my skin) and while firm, was not fixated in place except along the edge of the scar. Key factors I think from your post is this is a typical area for fluids to build up and when they do in volume, it can be quite firm feeling. They have no means to get out from where they are, so what you are seeing is the result. It takes a great deal of time for your body to develop new pathways for these to drain, actually all the way down into your chest where other nodes will take over the task.

I think it is too large to be something really bad, and the fact that it arose suddenly, also seems to be a good sign. Please note about the 4-5th image in my personal story located on this page http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/about/brianhill.htm the rope shaped lump following my scar line.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Thank you all. You are right Brian, it does look like the 4th (I think?) picture on your link, except that my lump is dissected by the scar whereas yours appears to be slightly above the scar. Whew. I had a rest for a bit this afternoon and when I awoke it seemed to have gone down a bit but as the evening progresses it is getting larger again. Sigh!

I will keep the appointment on Monday a.m. with the surgeon but from the symptoms and your experiences I expect that I will hear exactly what Brian said - lymphatic system looking for a new route to China!

Thanks all. I will keep you posted. Luv you guys. What a relief it is to be able to spill my guts to you all and be met with such understanding. You guys are the ultimate!

Hugs

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

This is the best place to be for all of us...patients, caregivers, friends and family....this site is the only thing that keeps me sane!

Sending Good Luck Charms Your Way, Donna!

Caregiver to Husband 50 yrs.young-non smoker/non-drinker; Stage IV - all treatments stopped August 2009
Lost the battle November 23, 2010
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Went to see the oncologist surgeon yesterday and he said it "probably" is lymph edema, he couldn't feel any tumour in the swollen area, but has ordered a cat scan asap to check for sure. My preferred response from him would have been: "oh you silly woman - it is NOTHING at all", but he didn't say that. He has gotten me through the past 4 1/2 years so I need to trust him, just wish I didn't STILL get that gut fear that happens during the testing/waiting periods.

I will keep you posted. Thanks all. Donna

OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Welcome to survivorship. He is doing the prudent thing. This is what we like in our doctors, though it takes a bit more time. That he wasn't wringing his hands or saying things like Oh F$%^& under his breath, or bringing every associate in the area in to look at it - are all good things. His approach is safe and the best possible thing he could have done.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics