Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Stephen . . . good luck from one Tar Heel resident to another. You need to focus and gather energy for "the present day" and not look too far out or concern yourself with the "what ifs". Just will not do any good. I had so many cancer surivivors tell me on the front end to stay postive as you possibly can and fight like hell. I wish I had been aware of this wonderful website, info and people early into my journey but glad to be here now during recovery.

Bill . . . SCC - originated in right tonsil, drifted into neck ( 28 lymph nodes removed - one positive ). Radical neck dissection in September 07, completed 34 radiation tx on January 4, 2008. Used Peg. Non smoker, 61, good shape, no previous health issues. Second year PET scan - "all clear".
Stephen Offline OP
OP Offline

William,

Thanks for the advice, I will do that. I'm glad to know of a survivor in the Charlotte area. My surgery will be 7/31 at CMC.

Curious what your experience is and/or which doctors you used.

I've gotten second/third opinions and scheduled a fourth for Monday, 7/28.

The what if's aren't overwhelming right now, but a subtle and common undercurrent that occupy any down-time I have ot present themselves in annoying ways like... "how much longer will I be able to..." or "Will I be there for my three year old?".

Totally destructive and premature thinking, but seemingly a demon I have to battle with.

Age 37, low grade mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the upper right palate 7/15/2008, Never Used Tobacco, runner (3 marathons!), Shorin Ryu Karateka, Husband, Father of three (8,5,3)... and does this mean I can go skydiving now?
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Stephen,

Read my "bio" below and know that there are plenty of us Stage IV's still kicking so clam down and rest assured you will get thru this in one piece.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Stephen,
I'm 37 too - and I have a 7 year old and a 14 year old. I can't say that I don't have those horrible moments when I picture my kids having to grow up without a mom. It is so much easier said than done to just put your negative thoughts to bed, and this whole cancer business is very tough on kids. If you can, you might want to consider getting your kids in to see a therapist (yes, even the 3 year old!) who knows how to help them work through their feelings about this very scary time. Kids react to our feelings and emotions, and obviously you are going to be scared, overwhelmed, and stressed by everything that is happening to you - that is bound to be picked up by your kids no matter how careful you are.

There are no guarantees in life - try as hard as you can to keep focused on the here and now instead of the what ifs and whens! Now if only I could follow my own advice all the time....LOL

Lisa
36 years old at diagnosis
SCC of the tongue T2N2bM0 Stage IV
post hemi glossectomy and neck dissection (3/28/07), finished 6 weeks of radiation and Cisplatin x2 6/19/07. Biopsy taken from right side of tongue 7/17/08 - results showed infected abscess and no return of SCC!

Hey Stephen,

Dr. Robert E. Harley with Mecklenburg ENT led me through the initial tests and diagnosis. He handled the sugery as well at Presbyterian in Charlotte. Did a good job and I see him every 6 weeks or so. My RO is Dr. Stephen Plunkett with Radiation Oncologists of the Carolinas dba as Matthews Oncology Center. They are also afflicated with Presbyterian. I continue to have follow up visits with him as well.

I must say my road was different than so many that post on this website. Different in that I really placed my faith and trust in Dr. Harley's diagnosis and consultations pre surgery I had with my RO. The personal pressing issue was that my daughter was getting married in late October and all this hit us like a ton of bricks in early September. I opted for the surgery immediately so I could recover in time to walk her down the aisle and then deal with radiation tx post wedding. Very thankful I did as I was in very good shape for the wedding which was 5 weeks out from surgery.

You're a heck of a lot younger than me, so you will recover even quicker! Good luck with your decisions and feel free to ask anyting.

Bill . . . SCC - originated in right tonsil, drifted into neck ( 28 lymph nodes removed - one positive ). Radical neck dissection in September 07, completed 34 radiation tx on January 4, 2008. Used Peg. Non smoker, 61, good shape, no previous health issues. Second year PET scan - "all clear".
Stephen Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Bill, I'll keep you posted. I'm going through tx (palate resection via Dr. Kamerer).

Age 37, low grade mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the upper right palate 7/15/2008, Never Used Tobacco, runner (3 marathons!), Shorin Ryu Karateka, Husband, Father of three (8,5,3)... and does this mean I can go skydiving now?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics