Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

I am pleased that you have explored this to your satisfaction.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Take a look at the number of patient radiated with the wrong program at the ONE hospital

Govt urged to ensure no repeat of hospital radiation bungle

Posted Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:49pm AEST
720 cancer patients at the hospital have potentially received an incorrect dosage of radiation treatment (ABC News)

Map: Adelaide 5000
Related Story: Radiation bungle poses little risk to cancer patients: AMA
The chairman of a South Australian cancer support group says he hopes the radiation treatment bungle at the Royal Adelaide hospital will not scare people off of getting treatment.

Cancer Voices SA chairman Ashleigh Moore was diagnosed with head and neck cancer and was potentially one of the hospital's 720 cancer patients to have received an incorrect dosage of radiation treatment over a two-year period.

He says the State Government needs to make assurances this does not happen again.

"In my situation I needed to have maximum dose radiotherapy to get rid of the cancer, so I'm certainly hoping none of my treatment has been compromised and I'm concerned for the other people who were not so lucky," he said.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
"OCF Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Thanks Brian,
Found this artical as well..It is really scary.
Have not seen anyone from Adelaide in South Australia here only people from the other states of New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland.

Cancer patient demands answers over radiation bungle
July 27, 2008, 7:45 am

A former Royal Adelaide Hospital cancer patient has demanded answers as to why he may have been incorrectly treated.

One of four radiotherapy machines at the hospital was found to have given patients lower doses of radiation between July 2004 and July 2006.

Ashleigh Moore suffered from head and neck cancer and is potentially one of the hospital's 720 cancer patients to have received an incorrect dosage of radiation.

Mr Moore, who is also the chairman of Cancer Voices SA, says the bungle highlights a terrible flaw in the State's health system.

"From a safety and quality perspective I suppose and as far as the health care system in South Australia [goes], it seems as though there's something terribly wrong," he said.

"When it takes two years for a problem like this to be corrected and then it takes another two years for something to be done about it - that's just not acceptable."

But he says he hopes the incident does not put cancer patients off having radiotherapy.

"Cancer is a terrible experience and people get through all the fears associated with their treatment and the things that could possibly go wrong," he said.

"And then to suffer it again, several years later, to have all those fears resurface, it does nothing to help people get over the cancer."

Mr Moore says preventative measures must now be taken to make sure this does not happen again.

"We'd like reassurances from the Minister that something will happen to ensure that this problem doesn't happen again, that there are systems in place to prevent errors, and that there's a system in place to ensure that errors are picked up before they become catastrophes and affect the health and safety of patients."

History Leukoplakia bx 8/2006 SCC floor mouth T3N0M0- Verrucous Carcinoma.
14 hour 0p SCC-Right ND/excision/marginal mandibulectomy 9/2006, 4 teeth removed, flap from wrist, trach-ng 6 days- no chemo/rad.
6 ops and debulking (flap/tongue join) + bx's 2006-2012.
bx Jan 2012 Hyperkeratosis-Epithelial Dysplasia
24cm GIST tumour removed 8/2013. Indefinite Oral Chemo.

1/31/16 passed away peacefully surrounded by family

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users