Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

It's been 10 days since Dan's last radiation treatment and 14 days since his last chemo. He is still sleeping ALOT. For example this morning after his shower he passed out on the bed with one sock on and one sock in hand - he couldn't even finish getting dressed. Then about an hour later he got up and we did a feeding - he fell asleep before we finished. He slept for 5 hours that time. Then he asked me to take him to Lowe's this afternoon and he loaded some bags of grass seed and after we came back home he had to rest again.

Now - I don't mind this and I'm not complaining and I haven't pushed. I am assuming his body needs this much rest to heal. But if this sounds a little excessive please let me know so I can start encouraging him to be awake a little more and to be a little more active.

THANKS!

Michelle, CG to husband (45), DX 2/08 Stage IVa Adenocarcinoma Salivary Gland (T2N2bMO)
Parotidectomy & ND 2/08, Tumor margins not clear, 4 of 30 nodes positve for cancer,
TX IMRT 39x, cisplatin 7x (completed 5/1/08),
PEG (4/22 - 7/9), No port. Currently in remission!

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

It is totally normal given what he has been through. A month from now this should begin to taper off. While I always encourage people to get reengaged in life as quickly as possible after treatment (so they start the mental process of moving on and finding their meaning again), it comes slowly, and cannot be pushed.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Let him and him only defined how much of anything he needs right now. I was as weak as a little kitten, as they say, for many months post Tx. I remember comparing taking a shower to running a marathon. Afterwards I would just crawl back into bed still slightly wet and rest. His body has been through hell and it needs to expend a tremendous amount of energy to recover and that means he needs a tremendous amount of water and food to help his body do it's job.

Also watch out for thyroid damage in 4 to 6 months. That's normal also.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

I was VERY weak the first month out of treatment. And I slept a LOT. I actually had had a bit of insomnia during treatment but I definitely made up for that in the month after.

I agree with Brian and David that there is nothing excessive here and the idea that there should be a point where pushing him would be a good idea is probably wrong. From what I know of my own recovery and from what I've seen here, people who have been through this push themselves to get back to "normal" adequately enough--and often have unrealisticly optimisitic expectations about what they should be able to do and how long it takes to recover. Being pushed by a partner is the last thing most people in recovery need. What most DO seem to need is encouragement to accept that they will still need lots of extra rest for quite a while.

Your description of Dan falling asleep with a sock in one hand reminded me of my own recovery--when I would fall asleep holding a syringe full of foruma attached to my g tube as I did a gravity feed--with disastrous results as my hand holding the syringe tipped over. That happened way more than once in the first couple of months. Basically whenever I sat still for more than a couple of minutes I would fall asleep.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"

I just push myself too hard to be back to normal. I am too much of a diehard and probably not doing my body a lot of good, but I am improving . Just do it as you can and no more.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I slept for 6 months or more... So let Dan Sleep. He needs it. This Treatment is Not like taking a Aspirin and it will feel better in the Morning.

Every one is different and if he needs the rest, let him have it!!

Just make sure he get his blood test done to make sure he is not anemic.

Take care.
Diane

2004 SCC R.tip 1/4 tongue Oct. 2005 R. Neck SCC cancer/Chemo Cisplatin 2x/8wks. Rad. Removed Jugular vein, Lymph gland & some neck muscle. TX finished 1/20/06... B.Cancer 3/29/07 Finished 6/07 Bi-op 7/15/09 SCC in-situ, laser surgery removed from 1st. sight. Right jaw replacement 11/3/14. 9 yrs cancer free as of Jan. 2015
OP Offline

Thanks guys for your feedback. Please know that I have not pushed Dan at all and all I do is encourage him to rest. I try to encourage one "up" time per day. Whether that be errands he wants me to drive him to or taking our son to feed the ducks. Other than that I am supportive of his rest. I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing. I know in some recovery situations it's good to "push" the person. It sounds like this is most definately not one of those situations.

Oh - Dan will have labwork done and a MO visit at 4 weeks post treatment (towards the end of this month).

Michelle, CG to husband (45), DX 2/08 Stage IVa Adenocarcinoma Salivary Gland (T2N2bMO)
Parotidectomy & ND 2/08, Tumor margins not clear, 4 of 30 nodes positve for cancer,
TX IMRT 39x, cisplatin 7x (completed 5/1/08),
PEG (4/22 - 7/9), No port. Currently in remission!

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I am a 4 1/2 months out of treatment and still very tried. My mind says go but my body says NO. I feel like a little old lady. If I push myself then I pay for it for the next couple of days of being wore out and tried. Just let him rest and as time goes on it will get better.

Tammy 43 yr non smoker- Dx-10/11/07 Stage 4 Tongue Cancer Surg.10/17/07, 1/4 Tongue and 14 Lymph nodes 5 positive, Peg tube/Chemo port,Chemo 3 wks/Radiation 6 wks begins 11/07 end 02/08.Teeth removed prior to radiation. PetScan 05/08 CLEAR 09/09. 2011 diag. w/osteoradionecrosis.100 HBO's
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Tammy,

Congrats on completing Tx and hang in there for the recovery. It will be frustratingly long but chances are you will improve greatly from where you are now. As I said it took me 16 months before I finally could say "OK I can live with this."

I hope you hang on the Board and share your fresh experiences with the people behind you. As time passes fortunately we forget some details of ugly experiences. I am coming up on 2 years and my usefulness is waning. Before long I won't remember how to log on.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics