Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#74113 05-08-2008 11:31 AM
KMD Offline OP
OP Offline

Posted 08 May 2008 02:21 PM
I'm a 33 year old Male. I've had this ulcer on my tongue for over 2 months now.

I first thought it was a canker it was hurting when i ate salty foods ect. but i've never had one before. After 3 weeks i called my Dentist to have him look at it. He saw my Ulcer at the 4 week mark and told me that if it wasn't getting any better in three weeks to call an oral surgeon and he gave me a refferal.

over the next several weeks i noticed it less because it stop'd hurting as much. Also some days the area would look just a bit red and others it would have a white look to part of it. (like the skin lifted up in that area)

I saw the oral sergeon and he told me that it most likely isn't a canker because they don't last that long. He has sceduled me to have a piece of the area cut off to be anylized on May 13th (5 days from today)

One of my worries is that it might be cancer but i'm not a smoker or drink all that much. I feel like i don't fit any of the risk factors for it.

When i feel my tongue i feel no lumps and when i touch the ulser its smooth. the best way to describe the pain is when you burn your mouth on hot pizza cheese and 1 to 2 days later its still irritated.

I took a picture to show a nurse friend of mine and here it is. It was taken at the 4 week point of the ulser. this is when it hurt the most. today 6 weeks later It doesn't look as bright red and the white spot comes and goes. One day the white spot is there then the next its smaller or gone.

Note: I have Geographic Tongue (i think the white line above the ulser is due to that condition and not part of the ulser?)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/Gurik/Tonguecanker.jpg

Thanx for your help in advance!

Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Whatever it may be the biopsy is the surest way to confirm cancer. Also note that there are factors other than tobacco and alcohol that can cause oral cancer but lets wait and see what the biopsy says before we jump to any conclusions. Good luck on the results.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi KMD.

Don't be alarmed by my signature. You won't likely be in my shoes. I'm glad you are getting it biopsied so that you know what it is for sure. I'm 34 (was 33 when diagnosed) and I too didn't have the typical risk factors Although I did smoke on occassion in college and little after but haven't at all since 2001. I oly drink beer and wine and not heavily. I saw a dentist and 2 different drs before finally getting to an ENT who took a biopsy..

Tongue cancer can be caused by many diff things. Another patient of my oncologist who also has tongue cancer thinks she got it from a tongue ring she had- I've read that after repeated trauma to an area the skin cells can sometimes come back cancerous. I think that is what happeed to me because I tested negative for HPV but had tons of dentistry as a kid and teenager. Who knows.

Anyways- don't worry about all of this unless the results are cancer.I'm hoping for a negative biopsy for you.

Good luck and I hope that sore goes away!

Have a fun weekend.

BTW I am leading a full happy life again after a crazy surgery and intense cancer treatments smile K

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!

I am a dentist and a tongue cancer survivor as you can see below. As David said above, you are doing the right thing by getting the biopsy done as that is the only way you will know for sure what your lesion is. Any sore that doesn't go away by itself after 10 days to 2 weeks should be biopsied.

I had a biopsy done on a sore that wouldn't go away also, and it did turn out to be squamous cell carcinoma. Many times, however, there are other reasons why the sore is there. Could you have a rough filling or tooth in the area? Could you be biting it or irritating the area another way?

The picture you linked to your post is a bit fuzzy and even if it wasn't fuzzy, it would be impossible for anyone to tell you if what is there is cancer.

I hope that the results are negative, but if they are not, you will be able to get answers to many questions that you have, right here on this forum and in the main section of the site.

Please let us know how you make out.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
KMD Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you all for your posts. My biopsy is 3 days away and my wife and I are concerned. My wife is pregant w/ our 2nd baby due June 6th, so anytime now! We just really wanna know the results.

I've been on several forums and the feedback has been very helpful. We feel hopeful learning that theres quite a number of things this could be besides cancer and that because of my medical history the odds are in my favor.(none smoker, not a heavy drinker,no family history of oral cancer, etc.)

how long does it normally take to get the results of a biopsy?

In response to Wilckdds - The ulcer is on the bottom part of my tongue under where my teeth bite so i don't really think its due to rubbing my teeth or biting. Also if you shrink the window my picture pops up in it will be smaller and much clearer. But as you said even looking at it doesn't really matter. The internet has tons of pictures of different mouth ulcers and such but none really look like mine.

Thanx again for taking the time to post!!

Last edited by KMD; 05-10-2008 10:27 AM.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

I had a FNA that took 2 weeks to come back and I called almost every day and I had a biopsy while under surgery that they did before they finished with me so it just depends on how urgent they think it is I guess.

Waiting for results of any kind dealing with the C word is most disturbing.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

KMD,
I agree with your process. A biopsy will tell you exactly what the problem is. We all say here that it is not cancer until the biopsy says its cancer. Try not to worry, I know that's easier said than done, distract yourself. I looked at your picture I see you have an ulcer on your tongue. Like Jerry said it is impossible for someone to look at a picture and tell you if it is cancer and I know you know that.
In my opinion you are taking the right course of action.
I hope everything works out for you.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
KMD Offline OP
OP Offline

Update

I went for my biopsy today and instead of taking out just a small piece he ended up taking a good portion out. basicly he took the ulcer out. He told me that he doen't think it is cancer adding that the biopsy will tell exacty what it is and scheduled a follow up appointment a week from today to make sure my tongue healed well and to go over my biopsy results. I told him i was a bit worried about the possibility of it being cancer and he told me that he would call me asap when he gets the results. If i don't hear from him by friday he told me to call him.

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Easier said than done...stop thinking about it because there's nothing you can do to make it different, whatever it is. Lets hope he gets back to you ASAP.

David

KMD Offline OP
OP Offline

The results of my biopsy came back and I'm happy to say they came back negative! So I guess now the big question is how did I end up with an ulser that wouldn't go away? I see my oral surgeon again on Tuesday to check how my tongue is healing ect. I'm sure he'll talk to me more about it then. My primary care doctor saw me last thursday and said it may be a condition called Lichens Planus.

Thank you all for you help and support!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916