Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi everyone, I have been away from this site for a few years now. To update you briefly, my mum was diagnosed with base of tongue cancer in November 2003 and had a major op. to remove part of her tongue and neck disection in January 2004. The following year the cancer returned inside her right cheek. She had more surgery to remove and re-build the area. Then it came back again in the same place and again she had more surgery, then last year she was diagnosed with it again. This time it was in upper mandible and rightside of cheek and gum. She had one MAJOR operation plus 4 weeks of radiotherapy in July 07. She now has another re-occurrence in her Salivary Gland. There is a visible lump in the angle of her jaw and right ear. The lump looks quite big but we don't know for sure yet because she's got to go for an MRI Scan on the 15th April 08. So far the results of needle biopsy taken 2 weeks ago look very suspicious the consultant has said, given mum's history with the disease. However, I am very worried about her because she is in SO much pain. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst, she is at 10. As we don't know if any treatment options will be offered to her at this stage, I wondering what other pain relief she could take or do? At the moment she is taking an antiinflammatory called Voltarol every 8 hours and paracetamol but the pain is only relieved for a short time and comes back. She puts a cold pack to the area and that seems to do the trick for a short time aswell before she starts to feel pain again. Any advice?

Also, I have been trying to find someone who has had Salivary Gland cancer to hear about their story. So if any of you have been unfortunate to have had it or are a caregiver to someone who has had it, I would be very interested to hear from you.

I feel so down at the moment. One minute I feel ready to help mum fight this again and then another minute I just feel broken and despair. I love her so much and we are SO close. It's like she's my best friend too you know? Sorry guys if I am going on a bit I just needed someone to vent how I feel. Thanks for listening/reading.

Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Kathleen I am very sorry to hear your mom's story and especially regarding the latest recurrance and her level of pain. I know there are some folks on here who know alot about pain management so I will let them answer that.

I know a little about salivary gland cancer as that is what my husband has. It is VERY RARE and within it there are several subtypes that have extremely different prognosis. All of them seem to have the same treatment protocol though. Please feel free to read my posts and to e-mail me anytime and I will share with you everything I know. I spent about 40 hours researching online and have only found about 3 people with this cancer and none who have my husband's type...

I empathize with you so much as you care for your mom. I shared the caregiving responsibilities for my mom (with my dad - I moved home) and it was heart wrenching. We too were very close and great friends and as she continued to decline it was very sad. She had breast cancer and it metastasized to her lungs and brain - she died in 1999 at 54-years-old.

I will add you and your mother to my prayer list and please contact me if you like re: the salivary gland cancer.

Michelle, CG to husband (45), DX 2/08 Stage IVa Adenocarcinoma Salivary Gland (T2N2bMO)
Parotidectomy & ND 2/08, Tumor margins not clear, 4 of 30 nodes positve for cancer,
TX IMRT 39x, cisplatin 7x (completed 5/1/08),
PEG (4/22 - 7/9), No port. Currently in remission!

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Kathleen: So sorry to hear this news...know that we are thinking of you and your family...keep us updated as to her treatment...

Lois & Buzz in NC

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members