Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7207 03-13-2006 11:50 AM
seremom Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Like many folks here, I read and re-read this site before I started to post. I found so much valuable information and gained hope and strength from the individuals featured in the "Patient Stories". I realize some of the information is a couple of years old (i.e.'Larry' - 2003). I was just wondering how these folks are doing and would like to send out a big Thank You! Their words kept me going during some very dark days.
Carol

Carol R - caregiver to hubby Ken. Stage 4, SCC, BOT. 6/05 dx, 9/25/05 last tx, 5/06 stroke. Four years cancer free! Still taking things 1 day at a time.
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Last time Larry communicated with me which was a couple of years ago, he was buying a house, getting married, and moving on with his life. He seemed positive about his future. I think that in the long run that is the goal of most i.e., trying to find a return to some normalcy and put distance between this very scary event in their lives and their future. While I have chosen to stay involved on a daily basis in this disease, certainly I am an anomaly. With the exception of one of the people in the patient stories who we lost to this disease, the rest are alive and well. Some keep in touch, some want this in their rearview mirror.

I am thankful that not everyone feels that way, because it is those who remain to give back to those on the path behind them that make this message board, an in many ways, this foundation a viable entity. Some give back in other ways and at least once a year OCF gets a check...often without a note or anything from them. Others, (one in particular comes to mind) that I have helped with numerous personal phone calls, arranging meetings with doctors at hospitals, and who had 600+ communications with people on this board while they were going through treatment - have never even said thanks, never sent a cent, just disappeared.

Patients and survivors are as variable as any other group in the world. Some need help, some offer it, some give, and some take.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
seremom Offline OP
OP Offline

Brian -
Thanks for the reply. I can understand why anyone would want to distance themselves from anything cancer related after traveling this journey. The experiences they have had will help someone else, some day. I am forever grateful that you decided to share your wisdom through this website. There simply are no words to explain how much it has helped.
Thanks!
Carol

Carol R - caregiver to hubby Ken. Stage 4, SCC, BOT. 6/05 dx, 9/25/05 last tx, 5/06 stroke. Four years cancer free! Still taking things 1 day at a time.

yes thank you brian

OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Thank you for your replies, and I do appreciate your thanks. I didn't mean that anyone here owed me any thanks, ( if anything it is the long term posters here that deserve that) I was just saying that the one particular person who I directly helped via the phone etc. never said thanks.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

I think trashing an individual publically on this board is in very poor taste. Since this person's string was unceremoniously closed, they may have left with a feeling of not being wanted. I have been in contact with this person recently and he is working 15 hour days and trying not to think about cancer because it makes him depressed. That and lack of time at the present has kept him from coming back to help others. I'm certain he is grateful for all the help he was given by so many. As to donations, if is unfortunate that so few take the time to send a few bucks to help pay for this forum.

Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

This person

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23