Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
con Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Visit to my Oncologist surgern on Fri. He said that after chem is done, mid april to come back and he will discuss the operation. He said it is a difficult one. I had a positive bio on the front floor of my mouth along with the right side and left side ( reoccurance on left side from 8 years ago. He said that I would need to have my lower front teeth removed before the surgery. Anyone had this surgery. Also since I had previous external radiation on this area what will I need to do to have the teeth out, isn't there something about pulling teeth if you have had radiation?

con
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Con,
Why do you need the teeth out? Are they in the way? Did he mention what you will get to replace them?

I think you usually need 30 HBO treatments if they need to pull teeth. That will delay the surgery 30 more days plus whatever time it takes for your guns to heals.

I don't remember where you are being treated but I'd get a second opinion if you don't already have one. At least one should be from a Comprehesive Cancer center. See resource section of forum.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

Con, I've had all my teeth removed the 17th of Jan for Rads, Chemo and surgery. It seems the rads deteriate the teeth and rpt them, then the infection can begin. I hated to lose my teeth but I did it hoping to survive a little longer. My gums are sore from the rads and chemo yet and I am starting to heal from the Rad seed implants in my tongue. You can handle it and I will be praying for you. I'm almost 1 month past surgery.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

The Doctors told me that the radiation weakens the bone. If I had a tooth pulled after radiation, It could cause that section of the bone to die off. If that were to happen it would have to be replaced. That is the reason I had my teeth pulled before hand. But I have always had issues with my teeth and gums. I visit the dentist at least 2-3 times each year. ( bad Genes )

However I am not sure how that may be after 8 years. Maybe the bone has healed it self from the rad treatment. But I think the damage done by rads are permanent. Ask you Doc to be sure.

The surgery sucked, but I made it. 7 days later I was feeling normal again. The first 3-4 suck bad. Ice bags are going to be your friends. Get plenty of them on your face and neck 24-7. It helps a lot!!! I have written my lastest feelings on that here, http://www.surviving-oral-cancer.com/2008/03/teeth-extraction-for-radiation-port_28.html

Prayers out to you,

John

Stage 4A SSC Left Tonsil, back of tongue and Lymph nodes on left side. Tonsil removed, Chemo and Radiation treatments completed on June 26, 2008.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23