Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#70866 03-01-2008 05:30 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

Buzz 'yawned' tonight & cried out in pain..felt like something 'left loose' under ear at jaw. (scc jaw removed July 2007, replaced with femur bone & titanium plate)....Started to cry, won't let me call anyone. Took pain & sleep meds, now in bed. Maybe just pulled something & it will be okay? No way to contact surgeon at Baptist Hospital at 10 pm on a Saturday night, I'm sure, even if Buzz would agree to let me drive him two hours to hospital.

Anyone else experienced anything like this??? If he wakes up & is still in pain, I'm determined to get him to hospital!

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I would go call the doctors answering service ASAP. This could be something that needs immediate attention. Perhaps he could ve seen at a facility closer to home. It doesn't cost anything to ask. It's better for your peace of mind, at least you will find out if it is temporary or if there is something that can be done to lessen the pain.
Please post when you have some results. I send my prayers that he gets immediate relief.
Malka

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hello,
Yes, I did when I yawned or clenced my teeth. I too had jawbone partially removed. AS it turned out, after months of complaining and trying, it was a pretty big portion of my jawbone that was sticking through the gum and had to be removed. My ent has alwasy said he was not a dentist, and didn't tell me he saw bone.

Dentists just think this is normal bone removal that happens to normal people. I had never heard of it. the dentist numbed my gum, which hurt like a knife, because it was going into the bone or something,he just ignores that hurt, and out comes a HUGE portion of bone. It is a long story, but I felt better after that was out. Don't know how I will get along without it. Have him have a simple panorex and see what that shows up. I still have trouble that we are working on, but that is a start for you. I so hurt to yawn.
Debbie

Partial mandibulectomy and neck dissection 2/3/07. T2NOMO.
Had 14 hour operation which included reconstruction of jaw.
Reconstruction failed. Some radiation, no chemo.

Emmylou, how is Buzz doing today?

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.

I would agree that you should call doctor as a cautionary measure. I have not had jaw surgery, but I can tell you that yawning is always a painful experience for me, due to a combination of the fibrosis from radiation and nerve impact of the neck dissection. Every now and then, the muscle will actually spasm while I am yawning, and the pain is excruciating -- actually brought me to my knees once or twice. The acute pain passes quickly, but it takes a bit for the residual aching to die down. Another fellow patient, a 3 year survivor, has the same thing, though he says the frequency goes down over time.

Get it checked out and let us know. We will be keeping you all in our thoughts.

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!
OP Offline

Update Monday pm: Buzz has been in much pain and unable to chew normally until tonight; ate soft diet yesterday and today; He allowed me to call E.R. M.D. on call at Baptist Sunday morning, who suggested we contact surgeon today, and stated that the problem is likely related to 'scar' tissue...and nothing to stress about. Soooo, Buzz wants to wait and see if he continues to improve tomorrow. (Read: he doesn't WANT to do anything about it (!) )
Lord knows, I can't make him. I can only pray that the pain is related to 'scar tissue' and that the pain will lessen.
Thanks to all of you for your replies!

Lois

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912