Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi guys - I've been posting on the "Introduce Yourself" board, but figured it was time to move on to another section. As some of you may have read I was wanting to get a more precise name on the type of cancer my husband has and we got it today. We met with the MO this morning and our planned course of TX at this time is the 35x radiation and 7x cisplatin. Tomorrow is our mask fitting, radiation planning session and PET Scan. If the scan is not clean then we will meet again regarding TX.
Has anyone had or known someone to have this type of cancer?

Michelle, CG to husband (45), DX 2/08 Stage IVa Adenocarcinoma Salivary Gland (T2N2bMO)
Parotidectomy & ND 2/08, Tumor margins not clear, 4 of 30 nodes positve for cancer,
TX IMRT 39x, cisplatin 7x (completed 5/1/08),
PEG (4/22 - 7/9), No port. Currently in remission!

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

I'm sorry I don't know more about this particular diagnosis, and can't recall any other recent members who have dealt with it.
From the little research I've done, it appears that this is an extremely rare form of cancer, but can be successfully treated with high survival rates. Stay positive and keep us posted!

Lois & Buzz

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Michelle-
There is an additional message board where you might try for this, (maybe you already know about it)
I

Age 36. Four years of fighting Stage 4 Skull Base Cancer
Can't even fit it in the signature line. I've tried it all! 5 surgeries, IMRT, cyberknife, cisplatin, erbitux, AIM, taxotere, carboplatin.
OP Offline

Lois & Buzz thanks for the kind message.

Melissa - thanks for the referral. I actually have not come across that site. And it even talks about they are not good at showing up in normal search engines so I may not have come across it without your help. The toddler info is very helpful too! Dan wanted to know how long post-op before you lost the "stroke" look?

Michelle, CG to husband (45), DX 2/08 Stage IVa Adenocarcinoma Salivary Gland (T2N2bMO)
Parotidectomy & ND 2/08, Tumor margins not clear, 4 of 30 nodes positve for cancer,
TX IMRT 39x, cisplatin 7x (completed 5/1/08),
PEG (4/22 - 7/9), No port. Currently in remission!

Hi Michelle-
By 4 months, people who didn't know me before the surgery couldn't tell there was anything strange, and by 6 months people who knew me before could not really tell either. They didn't have to cut any of the nerves, they all just got really stretched. I do have some weird feeling/numbness on that side of my face though but you get really used to it after a while.

Age 36. Four years of fighting Stage 4 Skull Base Cancer
Can't even fit it in the signature line. I've tried it all! 5 surgeries, IMRT, cyberknife, cisplatin, erbitux, AIM, taxotere, carboplatin.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics