Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#70347 02-22-2008 12:25 PM
OP Offline

Today I had my PEG fitted. I had it at about 11am and took painkillers pretty much straight afterwards but they didn't make any difference. I was in so much pain by about 3pm we phoned the Hospital and they said to go to my Doctor and get stronger painkillers...so I did. I took them over 3 hours ago and the pain just seems to be getting worse. It feels like I've been kicked in the stomach/ribs, I expected to have some pain but not this much!! I can't even stand up straight because it feels like something stopping me from doing so. Every time I move (even slightly) it just hurts so badly.
Did anyone else experience this much pain? How long does the pain last? Any tips for easing off the pain? (even a little bit!)
Thank you

Hayley, 19.
Diagnosed at 18 with cancer of the larynx (T4n2) on 20.11.07
Taxotere, cisplatin and 5FU x 3, carboplatin x 7 and 35 radiotherapy treatments
Found out I am in remission on 21.08.08

www.kickingcancersarse.blogspot.com
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Hayley- My husband has a PEG. He remembers it being very painful at first. Just make sure you are not pulling on it in any way. He realized that when he taped it down, it was pulling when he straightened up. He has had it for about 5 months now and it is pain free at this point. His was inserted surgically into his stomach and not down the throat because he had just had his jawbone replaced. I don't if this helps, but hang in there and I'll be sending positive thoughts your way. Sue

cg to husband, 48 Stage 1V head and neck SCC. First surgery 9/07. Radiation and several rounds of chemo followed. Mets to chest and lungs. "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain." Went home to God on February 22, 2009.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I was in so much pain from the darn PEG! Like you, I was not expecting it at all. Most people dont seem to have a problem with PEG. It was the only time during treatment that I needed narcotics. Yes, I felt like I was kicked by a horse for about a week. It was too tight and they would not loosen it until a week went by. Actually what ended up working best for the pain was 800mg of ibuprofun, rather than the oxycodone. My nurse practitioner recommended I try it as some patients do better with it. It worked for me.
So for me the pain lasted little more than a week. My nurse also thought because I was thin to begin with, it was more painful for me than for others. You are on the small side as well, aren't you? Not sure why being small makes it more painful. Just take it easy for a few days, Hayley, and the pain will get better! Take care, Teresa

Left tonsil SCC, HPV+. T2N0M0. Tonsillectomy 3-07, bilateral radiation, cisplatin 3x, Tx completed 6-06. Clear PET 4-01-2008.
Thyroidectomy 5-9-08, resulting in permanent surgically-induced hypoparathyroidism and adrenal problems. Bummer.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Buzz was in such pain that I took him to the emergency room the day after PEG insertion...doctor checked it, did a scan to confirm proper placement and stated 'some people experience more pain than others following this procedure'. The severe pain lessened over the next few days.
Hang in there Hayley, and know that we are all here for you if we can help in any way. I pray that your pain will go away soon.

Lois

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!

Took 3-4 days for the pain to go away. It will heal, so hang in there.

Tom Alexander
SCC Stage IV BOT, completed 35 Tx TOMO & 7 Tx chemo Taxol + Carboplatin 12/04/07. No surgery.

Haley I have been there and understand what you are going through. I felt that the pain was worse from the PEG after it was inserted than I felt after my neck dissection. My pain lasted 6 days. On that 6th day I was on my way to the Emergency room because it was so bad. The doctor asked me to wait 1 more day, I did and the pain was completely gone! Its a little uncomforatble when I sleep at night because I am a side sleeper, but I somehow get through it. It will be a godsend when you need to use it when your rad treatments are in full force.I know that its hard to imagine now but you will understand in a couple of weeks. There wasn't any pain meds that eased the pain for me. It will be a tough week for you but the pain will end. Feel free to PM me with ANY questions you have. My PEG was inserted 12/31/07 and all the doctors told me was that I would have slight discomfort. They were WRONG. Stay strong and you will get through this I promise.

Diagnosed with mucoepidermoid carcinoma right side base of tongue. Removed growth from tongue as well as modified neck dissection with mandible split on 12/11/07 with 12 nodes removed. 2 cancerous. Scheduled to start Rx 2/12/08.Finished 3/24/08 30 treatments. no chemo
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I had pretty severe pain the first couple of days--yes, even standing up was tough and sitting up from a lying down position was really hard. And I said the same thing you did--I felt like I'd been kicked by a horse. For me it went away pretty fast. The first two days were bad but I remember feeling OK sitting up and standing by the fourth day--it still hurt if I laughed or moved in other ways that used stomach muscles. By the second week I had no pain at all. Hang in there Hayley!

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi Hayley! smile

I am so sorry to hear about the pain from the PEG. My Dad was in the same boat as you and it took a few days. Hang in there sweetie.

I have been following your blog... posted on there awhile back. Hope you are feeling well, aside from this latest PEG issue.

Dad: Age 65 Heavy smoker/drinker. Biopsy-No surgery. Cancer base of tongue/throat. "Invasive Squamous Carcinoma RRT" --Beginning 1/9/08: IMRT treatments (5X/wk),chemo pills (4/day) and Chemo IV (once/wk) PEG tube inserted 1/25/08. Treatments ended 2/26/08

JUNE 30, 2008 Officially CANCER FREE!!!
OP Offline

Thank you everybody for your replies. Really appreciate them! This morning I woke up and I'm still very sore but not as much as yesterday, I can nearly stand up straight now. I guess I'll just have to be patient and let it heal and deal with the pain, it'll be worth it if I do end up needing it! Thanks again.

Hayley, 19.
Diagnosed at 18 with cancer of the larynx (T4n2) on 20.11.07
Taxotere, cisplatin and 5FU x 3, carboplatin x 7 and 35 radiotherapy treatments
Found out I am in remission on 21.08.08

www.kickingcancersarse.blogspot.com
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Hayley how are you doing? i remember those days, i was in so much pain with my peg tube when i first had it fitted that i cried to have it taken out, of course my hubby wouldnt let me (meanie) but it does get better i forget most of the time that i have my tube i have even gotten up to go the loo while i have feeding on and pulled my trolly accross the floor thats how comfortable it gets..hope your feeling ok

debz

Age 40 Diagnosed with stage 4 SCC tongue, sept 07 started 35 radiation treatments and 3 chemo Had my first follow up PET - got the all clear 17th April 2008.
26th Had my PEG tube removed...eating almost everything. Was hard but learned to eat without saliva, it's so good to chew and swallow food!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics