Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
MazG Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks everyone. I've talked to my husband and we've agreed that getting the peg tube is a good thing in our case. Not just because of emergencies but that it may actually be less traumatic for our kids than to see him choking/gagging etc having difficulty eating.

He had a further CT Scan of his chest, chest x-ray, and full mouth wrap-around x-ray this week prior to seeing the radiologist and oncologist next week.

Is the wrap around x-ray of his mouth just to monitor his teeth or is there some other reason they do that?

Marina, wife of Craig, 52 former smoker/drinker quit 9 years ago.
dx Feb 2008, SCC Stage 4a Tongue with mets to left and right neck lymph nodes.
Cisplatin x 3 and concurrent IMRT x 35 (scheduled to end May 1/08)
We have two children, 3 and 2, and #3 is on the way.
MazG #69921 02-15-2008 08:28 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

the xray of the teeth is to make sure they are in good shape before radiation. They will want ot do any extractions that need to be done before radiation because your jaw is very very brittle afterwards. For example I had a wisdom tooth that hadn't come down yet and they took that out before my surgery and radiation and chemo treatments started.

So sorry you are going through this Marina - I know it is't easy .

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Do a search of the main OCF site for the word osteoradionecrosis (ORN). The bones of the mouth (the mandible and the maxilla) do not become brittle, but they do lose much of their micro vascularization from the radiation treatments. This means that they heal poorly. Extractions and other extreme procedures after these treatments can cause a chronic non healing wounds that lead to far worse things. So before beginning treatments the oral environment must be in the best possible shape. Teeth that are compromised by periodontal disease or are not restorable have to be extracted prior to treatments.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Marina,

I was diagnosed with oral cancer in early June of last year. Your husband

The 17th of Jan, they took all of my teeth because of the Rad implants. Rads will decay the teeth and cause an infection, which u surly don't want. I had 2 infctions and belive me, they are miserable. Had to have both drained. 1 more week of rads and chemo the a coupks of days off . Then the implants will be put in. I wish you all the luck in the world. Keep a stiff upper lip and listen to what you are told,.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

I had a PEG tube inserted prior to starting treatment when my RO told about the 30 year old body builder he treated who dropped sixty pounds before consenting to a PEG tube. I figured it would be insurance to have it in and if I could get by without using it, all the better. It turned out that I had to use it because of the throat pain. It allowed me to remain hydrated, take nurishment, and when the pain was especially worse, take some meds. Throughout I tried to swallow as much as possible, but was not always successful. The PEG was removed in October after I could show my ENT that I was eating and maintained my weight for a month.
I too continued to work during this ordeal. I missed probably two weeks total, most at the end of radiation, when I was too weak to do much, a week when they removed the lymph nodes. I am a title insurance agent, so my job is very sedentary, thankfully. The major problem was the oxycodone and fentanyl. I did not realize how dopey they made me. Thankfully, my staff covered for me. While on the oxycodone and fentanyl I did not drive. My youngest daughter is an attorney and she pointed out that any accident, whether my fault or not, would result in no insurance coverage because of the drugs, and in all probability, I would lose my license. That was enough to keep me from behind the wheel. I ended all the narcotics in September with no apparent withdrawal symptoms.
My ENT and OC both told me I would go through hell, but recover. They were so right.
Hang in there, a positive attitude is the best defense.

SCC lf tonsil. Tx started 03/07/07,39 rads,8 docetaxel & 4 bevacizumab. Re-occured 02/19/08 back of throat. Tx35 rads 8 chemo. Tx started 05/05/08. PEG re-inserted April,2007.
MazG #70050 02-18-2008 07:02 PM

Hi - I was diagnosed 3/07 with Tonsil Cancer, with mets to right neck lymph nodes (3 were positive), had all lymph nodes removed 5/07, had radiation treatment which started in 8/07 and into my 4th week of radiation - I decided to have a Peg Tube - for me it was the right thing to do - radiation effected my swallowing - my voice was effected only for a short time - I went to swallowing therapy which ended ll/07 and I returned to work 12/07 and have my voice, was happy that I had the Peg Tube. You have to take one day at a time, support him and it is a good thing that you joined this support group.

MazG #70054 02-18-2008 11:37 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I see some have told you that he won't lose his voice, but all the years I've been on this board, it seems to be par for the course to lose the voice at the end of treatment for approx a week or so. I did but it wasn't that bothersome. I got out of answering the phone!
Take care,
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.

I had XRT for an unknown primary and didn't lose my voice, but then do not talk alot. My voice which was always very low, got lower and gravelly. Couldn't sing at all after radiation. Pretty much stayed that way until I got cancer of larynx 4 years later and they had to remove my voice box. If he loses his voice it should only be for a short period.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

[quote=minniea]I see some have told you that he won't lose his voice, but all the years I've been on this board, it seems to be par for the course to lose the voice at the end of treatment for approx a week or so. I did but it wasn't that bothersome. I got out of answering the phone![/quote]

I didn't lose my voice during radiation, but I enjoyed the two weeks after my tonsillectomy when I couldn't talk because I did not have to answer the phone either!

Left tonsil SCC, HPV+. T2N0M0. Tonsillectomy 3-07, bilateral radiation, cisplatin 3x, Tx completed 6-06. Clear PET 4-01-2008.
Thyroidectomy 5-9-08, resulting in permanent surgically-induced hypoparathyroidism and adrenal problems. Bummer.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics