Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
AshleyK Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi all, my husband has just finished 3 rounds of very aggressive chemo and is now facing 6-12 weeks of intense radiation treatments. He is a 46 yr old diabetic, we have two sons, 9&12. He has alot of fear re:the radiation treatments and is actually considering not doing the radiation. New studies are finding that radiation treatments are causing other forms of cancer...between that and the feeding tube and the pain it is all very scary for him. We are meeting again with the folks at Dana Farber this week. Is there anyone who has been through this? Suggestions? Thank you.

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Ashley, I think the best bet for your husband is to go for the gold. This isn't the most pleasant from of cancer and somtimes takes agressive treatment. Get rid of this OC and make the best of it. At present I am getting rads and chemo at the same time. Mine came back and after these treatments, I have to have rad seed implants put in my tongue. Maybe after another neck dissection. He doesn't want to go thur this if it can be stopped now with what he is going thru. NO teeth left, and i had nice teeth, but theyhad to be sacrified for the implants. Make him go do what is necessary to heal him.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Ashley,

Welcome to OCF. Take some time to research the main site here at OCF. Then read, read, read thru the forums here...you will see that everyone here has been thru this! Reading will give you a lot of insight on the whole mess...from start to finsh! You will see that each person has a little different experience with treatments and after effects. You will becomed armed with information that will help you thru the next weeks and months.

Information is power...take some time to absorb all that is available here, not only information but support.

Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill

Although I had a known primary at the base of the tongue, I too had Stage IV diagnosis, and had chemo, radiation and bilateral neck dissection. Doctors explained that the only way to have a realistic chance at a cure was to be aggressive, and that was all I needed to hear.

Head & Neck cancers are, as a rule, sensitive to radiation, which is one of the reasons radiation is a primary treatment modality. Most chemotherapy serves to make the cancer even more vulnerable to radiation.

I think the jury is out as to whether radiation itself causes more cancer. In my case, I'm pretty sure it was responsible for a skin cancer that popped up in the center of the radiation field on my upper chest. However, the point is that the skin cancer was easily removed and should cause no further problems. Might I get more in the future? Could something else crop up? Its possible, though certainly not probable. On the flip side, if I had only had the neck dissection and chemo, it was highly probable that I would die from the SCC in relatively short order. Choice was pretty clear from where I sat.

I realize choice may not seem as clear with an unknown primary, and each person has to make their own choice. I would personally do anything they offered to provide a reasonable chance at a cure.

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!

Ashley,

My husband has been through surgery, chemo and radiation. It was very difficult. He finished in December and is feeling better each day. He also has a peg and will continue to need it for awhile because he needs more treatment snd has lost alot of weight. This whole thing is so scary but this website has been a lifeline for me. It helps to know you are not alone. We have three teenagers 18, 16, and 13 and they are all showing the stress in their own ways. Hang in there and know there is always hope. Sue

cg to husband, 48 Stage 1V head and neck SCC. First surgery 9/07. Radiation and several rounds of chemo followed. Mets to chest and lungs. "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain." Went home to God on February 22, 2009.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Ashley, he should go for the radiation. I was treated at Dana-Farber last year. They have an excellent alternative therapy department--The Zakim Center---right in the building where you can get acupuncture, reiki, and massage therapy to help with side effects. I took full advantage of all alternate therapies that my insurance company would cover. If your insurance doesn't cover these therapies, they are available for a lower rate than you would pay outside the hospital.
As Jeff said, head and neck cancers are paricularly sensitive to radiation.

Left tonsil SCC, HPV+. T2N0M0. Tonsillectomy 3-07, bilateral radiation, cisplatin 3x, Tx completed 6-06. Clear PET 4-01-2008.
Thyroidectomy 5-9-08, resulting in permanent surgically-induced hypoparathyroidism and adrenal problems. Bummer.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Ashley,
My friend also did her radiation at Dana-Farber, and she tolerated it well, the last week being the most difficult. She did have mets to the lymph node in her neck and it did respond well to the radiation.
The Head and Neck Oncology Dept. at Dana Farber is wonderful, don't hesitate to discuss any of your concerns with them.
I hope he decides to do the radiation. And as stated above, use all the alternative therapies offerred there to make it easier on him.
I wish all the best to both of you.
Liz

CG to friend Mary. SCC Stage IV-A of rt. tonsil, mets. to lymph node on rt. DX 06/07,tonsillectomy 08/07, Chemo Cisplatin, Taxotere and 5FU X3 cycles; RAD completed 1/20/08 RND scheduled for 3/08. 54yr.old, NS, social drinker.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Ashley,

Read my Signature Line below. As you can see I was a Stage IV also. Now I am 17 mos post treatment and I am doing great and I'm cancer free so while the treatment may be extreme and barbaric for some of us, me included, the long term side effects are minimal compared to the alternative which is death. Almost all comprehensive cancer centers, including Dana will recommend radiation, probably chemo and even perhaps surgery but I wouldn't think anyone would not recommend radiation with a Stage IV OC.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Ashley,
I had an unknown primary 10 years ago with mets to one lymph in neck. I had no chemo, but had ND and 36 XRT radiation treatments. What type of radiation are they going to be giving him? XRT or IMRT? I think for peace of mind to just know they got all the micromets, I would and did go for it. Yes, the side effects can be nasty and some may be permanent. I think the fear of the unknown is probably holding him back. Ask the doctors what they expect HIS side effects to be and the downside if he doesn't have it. This cancer is nasty and needs aggressive treatment. I'd want to know it was gone, but that's me.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Ashley,

Have him call me during the day at 727-322-5669. He can ask me all the questions he wants.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Ashley: This may be the most important decision you and your family ever have to make, as you already know.
Read the signature line at the end of this post, and you will see that my husband is 4 months post treatment, Stage IV-A SCC, with one lymph node positive.
Why not hit it with everything your team has to offer....get this behind you so that you can go on with your lives... raising your family....
We're all behind you, no matter what decision you make...

Lois & Buzz in NC

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Ashley,

Have him call me toll-free at 877-869-0998 if any questions or if just wants information. I would certainly go for the radiation. I look at it like in rare situations the wearing of seatbelts can be bad if you are trapped in an accident but the benefit of wearing them more than outweigh the possible downside to where it should be an easy decision.

Bill D.

Dx 4/27/06, SCC, BOT, Stage III/IV, Tx 5/25/06 through 7/12/06 - 33 IMRT and 4 chemo, radical right side neck dissection 9/20/06.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

I was lecturing at a cancer conference earlier. One of the speakers with me was Kian Ang the head of radiation oncology at MDACC and my doctor when I went through there 10 years ago. I had 72 grays of radiation... they don't give you any more than that. I've had a bunch of side effects I won't list them all there right now, but they are the usual things that everyone here complains about. I also know that around year ten people that have had my dose of radiation can develop osteosarcomas in their mandibles (about 3% of all patients). an was whining to him about some of my issues from all my grays, and he said to me; "Brian, is sit lost on your that you have to be alive to have the complications that you are having...."

I think that puts it in perspective. Nothing in treatment is without risk. And today the bulk of patients go through with far less radiation than I. If you are not going to do things because of what might happen, you might as well stay off of the freeways too. I know that sounds harsh, but you have to (like I did not) keep all this in perspective. Incomplete primary treatments I believe, are a high cause of recurrences, which once they happen, you may not get out of easily, regardless the tools the medical profession has in it's bag.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Ashley,
I wish you could hear me shout... you only get one chance at beating this monster. Hit it with everything known to man, you can handle anything on the way to a cure.

Take Care
Marica

Caregiver to husband (Pete) Stage IV Base of Tongue. Dx 04 2003 Chemo/Radiation no surgery.. doing great!
AshleyK Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you all...forgot to bookmark the site and now finally found it. So moved to read all your responses. Tom is just finishing his second week of radiation at DF...he ended up in the hosp this week after the surgery to place feeding tube...spiked a fever and was experiencing extreme pain at the site. He came home yesterday and is still in a huge amount of pain. Our boys 9 & 12 are having a hard time seeing their Papa suffer so. Another treatment today and then he can rest for the weekend. 5 more weeks to go. His mouth sores are intensely painful as well. He asked that I ask you all if there were any suggestions for easing this pain besides everything that they are giving him for the pain. I am going to look into the acupuncture treatments and he is already receiving reiki. I feel so helpless when faced with his pain and we have so much further to go. Thank goodness for our community and family and for all of you...ash

Ashley- My husband had pain after the PEG was placed but in went away after a few days. What kind of medication does he take? Maybe take to the doctors about a mouthwash to help with the sores. Hang in there, Sue

cg to husband, 48 Stage 1V head and neck SCC. First surgery 9/07. Radiation and several rounds of chemo followed. Mets to chest and lungs. "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain." Went home to God on February 22, 2009.
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Ashley,

What is he taking for the pain? Is he using any type of mouthwash for the pain in his mouth? I was on a Fentanyl patch for the pain and took Oxycodone for the break through Pain throughout the day. I was also prescibed a mouth wash that eased the pain in my mouth. I forget what the mouthwash was called and made up of, but someone on this forum can help out. Also, with the pain med he is going to want to take a stool softener to avoid constipation. I used the Walmart brand.

With the peg tube and feedings, has your doctor or nutritionist given any guidelines on how many calories he is to have per day? I was instructed to take in a minimum of 2,700 calories a day, and so took in through my peg tube 3 times a day 2 cans of carnation instant breakfast VHC drink at 560 calories per can. Nutrition is VERY important to the healing and recovery process. My nutritionist ordered the carnation IB VHC and so it was paid for by my insurance. She also ordered extra wider tubes for the drip bag so it flowed in more easily.

Tom
SCC T4N1M0 left side tongue & 1 node
Dx 05/21/07 42 yrs old
40 Tx IMRT @ 70 Gy started 06/25/07
Cysplatin & 5fu 1st & 4th wks
treatment ended 08/23/07
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Ashley:

When the PEg tube is first put in its very sore for a few days. It will get better within a week of the surgery.

As far as pain meds go, I had the fentanyl patch. It worked great at releiving my pain. Ask the doctors about magic mouthwash to help soothe the sores in your husbands mouth.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma