Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi I really don't have a problem with the look of the wattle but right now its the glands or something that is hurting like the dickens. I think that the wattle is kind of cool strange huh. Its my new mark to go along with my gray hair and wrinkles. I have kids I deserve everyone of them. And the wattle??? I have survived cancer I deserve a trophie!! Right! Smile is all I can do when it isn't hurting me.

49 years young 9/2007 Squamous Cell Carcinoma 33 rad treatments. One year later, 9/17/2008 50 years old through the Grace of God. last check up all clear. Living life as it comes to me.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

My "Wattle" has diminished a lot over the last year to the point that I don't pay much attention to what's left of it (For the most part). It seems to protrude more in the morning and when it is cold and/or damp out. I joke with my wife and Doctors about being a better weatherman than some on TV!! LOL
The massage therapy does help a lot, but as my therapist explained (And RO confirmed) the fluids have nowhere to go so they sit, making the massage a short term fix as a rule!!
As for the pain, that's weird what you're describing. Mine feels irritated and tight sometimes, but I wouldn't classify it as "painful". I would be asking a lot of questions about that!
Best Regards,
Steve

SCC right side BOT/FOM; DX 1-25-06; Neck dissection/25% of tongue removed 2-17-06. Stage 2 Recurrence 7-06: IMRTX35 & 3X Cisplatin ended 10-18-06. Tumor found 03/18/13; Partial Glossectomy 03/28/13 left lateral tongue. Nov. 2014; headaches,lump on left side of throat. Radical Neck Dissection 12-17-14; Tumor into nerves/jugular; Surgery successful, IMRTX30 & 7X Erbotux. Scan 06-03-15; NED! 06-02-16; Mets to left Humerus bone and lesion on lungs-here We go again! Never, Ever Give Up!

**** PASSED AWAY 10/8/16 ****

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

My 'turkey wattle' has recently disappeared. I have been doing reguler massage on my neck--lots of downward strokes--and am now getting physical therapy as well.

Left tonsil SCC, HPV+. T2N0M0. Tonsillectomy 3-07, bilateral radiation, cisplatin 3x, Tx completed 6-06. Clear PET 4-01-2008.
Thyroidectomy 5-9-08, resulting in permanent surgically-induced hypoparathyroidism and adrenal problems. Bummer.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I am wattle'n here also. My treatments (35 rad,7 chemo)ended Sept.17, 2007. Seems to be less now than at 3 months. However I have never had pain associated with it. My 3 month test came back showing no cancer and my doc said that is a good sign of it not coming back. I can't believe what your doc said. Just stay positive and eat.

Bruce (SCC Stage 3)

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

does any one elses throat feel i dont know how to explainit.Doesnt really hurt just feels weird. and i have spasms once in a while on the other side.but the 14th of jan my left cord was still clear.had it on the right.this time he seen a nodular apperance and marked edema so does any one know what that could be. maybe from rad i hope

Lolita - Stage 1, no node involvement, no distant mets. 6 weeks of radiation plus 6 chemo treatments, one each week.

My ENT early on suggested self massage for my turkey waddle. While I am not very faithfull about doing it, it has helped. Last summer and early fall I could not button a dress shirt and wear a tie. About October I started being able to and now have little problem with shirts and ties. It has made me a little more conscious about doing the massage.
You're right, it is a badge somewhat, but can be uncomfortable at times.

SCC lf tonsil. Tx started 03/07/07,39 rads,8 docetaxel & 4 bevacizumab. Re-occured 02/19/08 back of throat. Tx35 rads 8 chemo. Tx started 05/05/08. PEG re-inserted April,2007.

Hi - I'm new to this website as I was searching for information on turkey neck. I finished radiation approximately 3 months ago for metastatic squamous cell carcinoma, unknown primary, most likely nasopharyngeal, stage I, with emergency surgery, then complete tonsillectomy, lymph node dissection, with biopsies of everywhere in my head practically, prior to my radiation. My radiation was for 6 weeks. I have turkey neck pretty bad and was referred to a physical therapist who specializes in this. There's so much more to it than rubbing your neck. You first have to stimulate other lymph nodes in order to prepare them to accept the lymph from your neck. It's very involved. If it really concerns you, like it did me, I would suggest you see about getting a referral to a physical therapist who specializes in this. I've only been for one training session, with my husband learning how to do the myofascial stretching of my neck, and I've been doing it own my own for just over a week, and people are already noticing a difference. I will be seeing the physical therapist twice a week for the next month to have this done. Hope this helps.

Lisa - Diagnosed 8/14/07 with Stage 1 metastatic squamous cell carcinoma, unknown primary, most likely nasopharyngeal, status post 2 surgeries, completing 6 weeks IMRT radiation on 11/26/07.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Lisa,

I am 17 months post and I still a little turkey neck and I didn't do any massaging. I also was never told about any either. I am wondering if there is any literature you could share with this site that may describe the technique you are being taught?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

I don't have any hand-printed literature, but I'm going to my physical therapist tomorrow and will see if she has any, or at least any websites she might suggest. I hope she does because I would love to be able to pass this on. I was quite surprised that this referral to the PT wasn't a "given" after surgery and radiation, and I had to actually request it. Everyone should be given this option.

Lisa - Diagnosed 8/14/07 with Stage 1 metastatic squamous cell carcinoma, unknown primary, most likely nasopharyngeal, status post 2 surgeries, completing 6 weeks IMRT radiation on 11/26/07.

I too had PT for lymph drainage after ND and rad and it did help greatly. Ask your doctor for a referral to a PT that is experienced in that type of massage.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters