Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello, everyone and Happy New Year ! It has certainly been awhile since I have posted . . . my Dad is now in week 3 of Radiation and Chemo (Erbitux). He is really starting to itch, his head and face, so much that it is keeping him up at night. He has been doing really great . . . 21 hours of surgery, 2 weeks of rehab. The Doctors are amazed at his progress at 70 years old. But now he is starting to get discouraged and I know this is only the beginning as he has 20 more treatments. Anyone have any suggestions for the itchiness? He is putting on lots and lots of Lubriderm . . . but that does not seem to help. Thank you in advance. We always know we can turn here . . .that is priceless to us.

Laura and Ted

Mandibular ressection, flap replacement and bilateral neck dissection 10/25/07. Two nodes cancerous, others clear.
Started IRMT 12/17/07 (34) and ERBITUX ( 6). 7/17/08 cancer returned neck and shoulder area. Passed on peacefully surrounded by love on 9/15/08. And yes, he did see angels. . .

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

The itchiness is likely from the Erbitux. Our docs wouldn't let my husband put much on it until post treatment. The one suggestion we got here that helped a little was to use head and shoulders shampoo as a body wash and then pat (not rub) dry.

That Erbitux is difficult to handle. But, once treatment subsides it does get better quickly. And, then there are more options for treating it.

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.
OP Offline

Thanks, Margaret. He is up for trying anything. The Radiation & Chemo will be worse than the surgery, as we have been told, but I don't think he really knows what he is in for . . . Just taking it a day at a time . . . today he had a great day with his Grandkids, they probably won't see their Pop-Pop so playful for awhile which made me go into the other room and cry a bit . .

Mandibular ressection, flap replacement and bilateral neck dissection 10/25/07. Two nodes cancerous, others clear.
Started IRMT 12/17/07 (34) and ERBITUX ( 6). 7/17/08 cancer returned neck and shoulder area. Passed on peacefully surrounded by love on 9/15/08. And yes, he did see angels. . .

Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

The itchiness may also come from any pain meds he may be taking which you didn't mention. I know I had a rough time finding a pain med that didn't make me worse off than I was without it. After we excluded that ones I shouldn't/couldn't take, I believe I was left with asprin. LOL

As far as what lies ahead, some want to know as much in advance and some don't. Feel him out and if he wants the scoop there are plenty here to tell him what's likely on the horizon for him.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OP Offline

No pain meds . . .yet. You are right, he did not want to know much about the surgery etc. I am totally the opposite so I have to stop opening my mouth. Sometimes the effects may not even materialize so you can get all worked up for nothing. I just have to stop worrying so much because I can't always fix things, but I can sure as heck give it a try!

Laura

DON'T SCRATCH IT whatever you do! Ask your MO for some topical medicine and dump the Lubriderm. Many here have had issues with Erbitux so ask the MO to manage them appropriately.

Make VERY sure that the skin is dry and clean before any radiation treatments. Most lotions and creams left on the skin can act as a bolus, exacerbating the radiation effect to the skin.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Check out the PDF on skin care during treatment on the PDF at the bottom of this page of the main web site. http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/facts/radiation.htm

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

Thanks, all. I just emailed my Dad with your helpful suggestions. Gosh, I was reading more about the Erbitux and that rash sounds down right nasty. He has it now on his chest, neck and head.

We see his MO tomorrow and I can be there to help get some answers. Funny, we can be in the same room with the Drs. and my Dad and Stepmom can get confused so easily and hear something totally different than what was explained. It is so important to have another set of ears . . . it is so easy for them to to miss something . . .

Laura

JAM Offline

Hey, Laura, don't want to alarm you, but do want to ALERT you that the Erbitux rash can be quite nasty. Don't know where your Dad is being reated, but if his Chemo Doc has not used Erbitux alot, and your Dad continues to get a bad rash reaction, someone will need to be very insistant about HELPING CONTROL IT. During John's 7 months on Erbitux, the rash broke out in his ears, pubic area, scalp, face, cracked the skin under his fingernails and toenails. He was miserable. Head and Shoulders shampoo did help as a body wash as did some prescription creams [I can't remember them now][I don't think Lubraderm is near strong enough] Hopefully, he will not have that bad a reaction, but Erbitux needs to be monitored carefully for anyone who is getting the rash. Wishing your Dad the best. Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:

"Cure" Magazine actually has an article about the Erbitux rash and how it should be treated in the most recent edition

http://curetoday.com/currentissue/departments/findinghope/index.html

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
OP Offline

Thank you, thank you. What a great article . . . I passed it on to my Dad. I told him NO SCRATCHING!!!!!! The MO gave him a prescription cream for the itching. He is really keeping an eye on it . . . and I will make sure of that! At least the rash is a good sign . . . but so scary what it can do to you if it gets out of control.

One day at a time . . .Yesterday Dad said he just wanted to run away, tears in his eyes. . . and was trying so hard to keep it all together. He is my Dad, and he has a difficult time just giving in and getting upset in front of me . . . but today he sounded better and ready to do this another day. He is finished on January 30th which seems so far away.

I don't know what I would do if it were not for this forum. I pray for you all everynight. Thank you all, again.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics