Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#66437 12-30-2007 12:22 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

I am almost 2 months out from my radiation tx. My mouth is still sore and I am having trouble getting back to eating. I have a PEG so I am getting nutrition, but I want to get rid of the tube. I know everyone is different, but I am looking for advise on how to eat through the pain. How did some of you handle having mouth pain and making yourself eat? Any tips or advise would be appreciated.

SCC of tongue removed 3/07 mod. left neck dissection. Tumor reappeared 6/07. Removed 8/07, right neck dissection, free flap from wrist for tongue graph. Radiation 30 (IMRT), chemo cisplatin 4 rounds finished 11/07.
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

I am on the long side of things, I had my peg for 13 months total, four of them during treatment and the rest during recovery from radiation and surgery. Everyone heals at a different rate, and gets different amounts of radiation or chemo, etc. There is no timeline that is the rule for everyone. My last 4 months were about 50/50 soft foods or soups and PEG

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I am 6 mos out of treatments and still have my peg tube in also. Like yours, my mouth was quite sore at 2 mos out as well. The soreness went away pretty quickly but then the dry mouth phase set it. I tried eating small things but it just wouldn't work due to not having any saliva, so I started sipping on broths and drank a lot of water. I can now eat small portions of bean soups with lots of broth in them such as navy beans and pinto beans and some campbell's soups, but I can't eat any solid foods to speak of. I have to take small bites because of a fear of choking. I also try small portions of mashed potatoes and gravy. I, too, want my peg tube out but I'm afraid to have it removed until I know I can eat enough to sustain my nutrition. I consider it my safety net and my life line. My doctor says that he will take it out as soon as I can take my meds by mouth and eat better. As of now, I am still crushing my meds and taking them through my peg tube because the pills are too dry and too large to go down my throat. I worry that I will never be able to eat normally again because of the dry mouth not allowing for break down of foods, but everyone ahead of me says it will get better and that I will eat normally again. I guess it will happen when the time is right for me. As Brian mentioned, everyone heals differently so try to be patient and hang in there. Use this time to rest and let your body heal. I will tell you like everyone tells me...it will get better and you will get through this!

Nine years out. New normal with limitations, but surviving and living life to the fullest.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

canned chilled peaches were my staple from Costco in 5 gallon cans. Slippery, weyt, and cold that felt good. Wet scrambled eggs. Baby food.... Slowly you keep trying, you rinse lots of things down with water, and it gets better. But the process is slow. Don't give up. Keep experimenting. Don't get frustrated. Healing takes time, and swallowing well again takes practice, and wet foods.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

Thanks for your encouragement and tips. If you learn one thing when dealing with the big C it is patience. I am still learning. I will be patient with myself and keep trying different things. I can do yogurt and very thin oatmeal, but with my new tongue it is hard to get things going in the right direction at times. It is good to have those who have passed on this road to give us new ones advise.

SCC of tongue removed 3/07 mod. left neck dissection. Tumor reappeared 6/07. Removed 8/07, right neck dissection, free flap from wrist for tongue graph. Radiation 30 (IMRT), chemo cisplatin 4 rounds finished 11/07.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Richmond girl,

I drank a ton of Carnation VHC. I tried to get about 3000 cals a day initially. Try fruit cocktail, blended beef stew, blended bananas with milk and choc syrup, blended anything, pancakes and sunnysideup eggs with plenty of syrup, mashed potatoes w/ gravey, rice and black bean soup. That was early on....

Now 16 months post Tx and I eat ANYTHING I want and lately I don't need to be attached to a liquid source. For instance, I remember putting a deshelled peanut in my mouth 4 months post Tx and I thought I was going to expire before I could walk around the front of my house to get to my water bottle. Now I eat peanuts and cookies without liquids. I even ate a slice of pizza the other day in my car without any liquid and actually thought it tasted better without constantly having to wash the bites down.

My point....as you say be patient....things will slowly improve and you will be posting your success stories to newbies in no time.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Have you tried any puddings? Vanilla and banana pudding are pretty easy to eat too. I am struggling with eating too and must depend on the PEG tube. For me, I eat yogurt and puddings. Soup is too salty and burns my throat.

Do you take pain medication, or use magic mouthwash? That will make eating easier.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma