Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Shar,

I tend not to respond much if all I have is "warm fuzzies" to give to other posters instead of practical help, but I can't help but to try and send love and hugs your way...you just have had a really hard road these past months. I try to imagine juggling a young family, a job and OC...so hard!

I guess what I want to say is that even those of us who just read and don't respond a lot, care deeply, shed tears, and try to send strength to those that need it the most at that particular time.

My best to you and everyone on this board dealing with almost impossible circumstances. I am listening and I am hoping.....Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Sharlee - Please do get yourself to see the doctor this week, soon - make the time. Whatever it is, you'll feel better for having taken the steps. Just wondering and waiting is the pits and you've already had so much to deal with. But all you can do is just one step at a time. I wish I could be there to help and give you hugs.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Me2 Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Shar - I know what you are going through, if you saw my most recent post I am also worried about some symptoms I am having in my neck. Last year right after Christmas I had an ulcer on my tongue and it started bleeding. I was POSITIVE that my cancer had returned. And, I could see by my ENT's face that she wasn't feeling really good about it, and she admitted that. But, the biopsy came back negative, it turned out to be your everyday apthous ulcer, and it went away.

What can I say - except that I think we all live with this fear of recurrence and any symptom at all gets those dark thoughts swirling. But, what Donna (pandora99) said to me was great "Try to not let this thief (cancer and the fear thereof) steal even another second from you. You've done what you can - now put that worry away and try to enjoy this day. If not, cancer - whether here or not - has stolen another day from you! Protect yourself against thieves!!" So let's try to remember this!!!

Ginny M. SCC of Left lateral tongue Dx 04/06,Surgery MDACC 05/11/06: Partial glossectomy with selective neck dissection. T1N0M0 - no radiation. Phase III clinical trial ("EPOC" trial)04/07 thru 04/08 because tests showed a 65% chance of recurrence. 10 Year Survivor!
OP Offline

Brian,
I didn't mean to give the impression that my dr at MD Anderson was totally against cancer forums. I was so nervous I could have gotten a different impression than he intended. The best I recall (and I was upset about abnormalities he was talking about on the ct scan done the day before), I simply said that I got on an oral cancer forum to read what others were going through and he just said I needed to be careful getting advice from people who didn't know my exact situation since everyone is different and their cases are different too. I said I knew that I couldn't get upset about what forum people or any other people tell me I should be doing, as it has to be my own decision, but it sure is good to read what others feel that are going through similar situations.. Because no matter how much people care, they just don't quite know what this is like until it is themselves... As with any sickness or disease I guess. I did see Dr. Jocob (dental oncologist) and was very impressed with her down to earth attitude... With a couple of crowns put on, she felt like if and when the cancer comes back, I could withstand the radiation without having them all pulled.. Time will tell.
Anyway, I do think this forum is well worth getting involved in and appreciate other to talk to

I'm glad my Dr didn't tell me that. I have learned a lot about OC from the people that have it and fight it daily. He is supposed to be one of the best,, but after no rads or chemo.. he must not know it all yet. I guess we learn as we live and experience.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
OP Offline

Isn't it funny how some drs and others as well, think they have all the answers until it is you. I guess we never know if radiation is right or not. They tell me here as well as MD Anderson that i should hold off on it. I just hope it never comes back and I never have radiation. I am a realist and I doubt that happens, but I can sure hope and do everything I can to make it happen. Good luck to you.

Dear All,
I too have had a recent recurrence and am in the emotional fallout of it's aftermath. I want to share soemthing: As far as the ulcers; after the first bout of tongue cancer in 2000 when the lesion was way bigger than this second time around, I came down with mouth ulcers almost every month for a year. They were awful! Painful and worrisome. The thing is this. For me, I am vigilant now. Anything that does not start to improve in 5 or 6 days I take to the oral surgeon. I had a clean bill of health from him and my cancer Dr. in May. In July I was operated on. Things can come on quickly with tongue cancer. I am proof of that. The key is vigilance and I check my tongue once a week and was told to be professionally checked every 8 weeks for the rest of my life.
Good Luck!
Gerry

gerry f.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members