Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#62127 11-19-2007 07:25 PM
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I am curious as to what all of you were told about ingesting alcohol. Neither my surgeon nor radiologist mentioned it at all to me and it was only reading on the internet that there was some strong suggestions that I should not have any alcohol in view of oral cancer history. I mentioned it to the Doctors & they both felt that the occassional drink was okay, both stating that none of us "live in a bubble" to firmly establish why I got the cancer. I however, do attribute it to the fact that I was a pack a day smoker for years.

I was also a social drinker, and in the last few years I have limited myself to about one drink a month, but I will admit it is something that I miss - especially when you go out to the bar with friends, special occassions, etc. I am not now, nor was I ever anywhere close to being an alcoholic so my concern about drinking relates to whether alcohol is a catalyst for oral cancer for me. What have others been told about drinking and what do you do?

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Dear Donna,

In a perfect world, a drink now and then won't hurt anyone. (only speaking from my experience following my mother's triple bypass). Her doctor's didn't discourage a glass of red wine every few days. Now, I'm no expert..........please take this with a grain of salt.

Love,
Mandi

Stage III tonsil, Dx 8/14/2002,chemo and rad...reoccurance 8/3/07,Base of Tongue,vocal cords,stage IVA,total larynectomy and glossectomy 9/4/07 with pec flap...reoccurance Nov. '08 and Feb. '09 (positive margins remained after each operation) Second pec flap May 7, 2009. Still positive margins.
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Donna,

Two years post treatment I was told 1-2 glasses of bear or wine per week.

Rob

6-05, Left Tonsil-T1N2bM0 stageIVA, chemo(Cisplatin), radiation(6660cGy), neck disection, no PEG. HPV negative. (Doc suspects posit)
3-9-09 last of 30 HBO treatments.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

My doctor told me no alcohol EVER. He then conceded to one glass of wine a year if at a special occasion. He said alcohol is a carcinogen, and even though it was not the cause of my tumor, they didn't know enough about HPV related tumors yet to say okay to alcohol. It's use is thought to bring about a greater chance of recurrence.

Left tonsil SCC, HPV+. T2N0M0. Tonsillectomy 3-07, bilateral radiation, cisplatin 3x, Tx completed 6-06. Clear PET 4-01-2008.
Thyroidectomy 5-9-08, resulting in permanent surgically-induced hypoparathyroidism and adrenal problems. Bummer.

I have heard it both ways. Moderation and none what so ever. The way I look at it is my medical team and I worked very hard at saving my life why in the world take a chance on using something there just isn't enough evidence to know for sure one way or another.

TIMOTHY C, AXEL
DIAG.3/9/2005 SCC STAGE 3 LEFT TONCIL WITH METZ. TO LYMPHNODES IRMT X 40, CISPLATIN ONCE A WK.X 8, LEFT NECK DISECTION 7/19/2005 CANCER FREE EVER SINCE.NON SMOKER, MODERATE DRINKER,RUNNER
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I've heard it both ways too. My ENT here said a glass of beer or wine every now and then would be OK but the doc who has been helping me with the esophageal strictures, who also treats cancer of the esophagus and lungs at Dana Farber, said it was really better to not drink at all. Right now, every 4-6 months I have about half a glass of beer--flat, dark beer is the only kind of alcohol that doesn't either sting my hypersensitive mouth or taste funny. I figure consuming that little can't be too risky.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

For the past 25 years or so, Buzz would drink ONE Corona almost every day. After being diagnosed, he abruptly stopped.
During his first f/u with the surgeon at Baptist, Buzz asked if he would ever be able to enjoy an occasional beer. The physician's response was "ONLY on your birthday, New Year's Eve and July 4th"! His reasoning was the same as Girlcat's doctor...just in case there IS a chance of risking re occurrance....

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!

I asked my ENT about drinking and he said I could absolutely (said with much emotion) drink "so long as I didn't get soused every night." I know that isn't what most doctors are recommending. Perhaps it's because I had an early stage cancer with no other health issues. I think my oncologist also said drinking in moderation was okay for me. I thought about stopping, but for me social weekend wine drinking is part of returning to normal life.

SCC, right tonsil, T1N0MO, G3, HPV-33 positive, 7 wks IMRT 2/21/07-4/13/07, 48 year old female when diagnosed, non-smoker, weekend wine drinker, tumor and both tonsils removed. Ethyol for 3 weeks; no peg; only minimal longterm side effects

This subject comes up all the time, a social drink I suppose is okay, I like the special occasion rule myself. We have all worked hard to be healthy I prefer not to take chances! However, I think worrying about everything we do might be worse than the occasional glass of beer.
I drink 2 cups of coffee per day and I love it and nooobody better tell me to give that up..

Adele,
mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the submandibular gland, 05/06, left neck dissection, gland and tumor removed, intermediate grade, margins negative, 9 lymph nodes negative, no rad, no chemo,
11/07 surgical biopsy of lymph node left neck, no cancer!
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi --

We asked Barry's MO at Hopkins about drinking since his GP had (in the past) recommended a Mediterranean-type diet to him, with its small glasses of red wine every few days. She said, "well, I like THAT prescription..." In other words, this sort of moderate drinking was OK for him. (His was an HPV+ cancer.)

As for HPV+ cancers -- the paper by D'Souza et al in May of this year found no correlation between smoking and drinking and development of HPV+ oral cancer -- & we now know this is a biologically different cancer from that related to excessive alcohol intake and/or smoking.

One the other hand, alcohol is probably not great for those who had a non-HPV cancer -- at least, more than the very occasional indulgence. Thus the difference in doctor's recommendations.

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users