Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I am now 8 weeks out of radiation treatment (33 sessions) following removal of the tumor from my tongue. About 10 days ago, I noticed the soreness when I touched my scalp at the crown of my head. Today, the soreness has spread forward to my forehead and backward to the base of my skull. It seems to be increasing, modestly but noticeably. Of course, I'm going to discuss it with my surgeon and my radiation oncologist, but I would like to know if anyone has experienced it, what is the cause, and how long it may last, etc.

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I had this same exact thing. Please don't let it worry you. I used to try to explain to anyone that would listen that my hair hurt! Of course discuss it with your doc and make him aware, but I just wanted you to know that I had the same experience.

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.

I had it also. I was told that it was a post surgical effect, related to the disruption of the nerves when they pulled up the flap to remove the nodes of the neck. It has gotten better very slowly. Now, three months post surgery, it is a very mild dull ache which emerges when I touch it, but nothing like the constant ache it was immediately after surgery.

Let's face it, the treatment(s) and the interventions we have gone through disrupt multiple aspects of the head and neck and the consequences are often painful and permanent. As a part of my neck dissection, I have lost all feeling in my left ear (but not hearing thank God)up to the very top. It feels just awful, I think of it every time I bump it or put a phone to it or try (and fail!) to put earrings in. I am tempted to use the mantra of "welcome to the new normal," and forget it, but the new normal has so many difficult and annoying accommodations involved with it that it is hard to know what it really entails. The best news of course is that we are here to write the tale. The one hard and fast rule I know is when the MO, RO and ENT guy discuss complications of treatment with you, they can only brush the surface. Each case is different and each body is different.It does however, really help to have the collective knowledge of this group, to help to realize that you are within the realm of the collective experience of the group. So my hair hurt too, really badly, but who wants to listen to that except up. Hope it feels better and I hope your ear is not affected.

Best wishes,

Bonnie Glen

OP Offline

Your facts are a bit different, in that your ache has been affecting you since the surgery. Mine did not arise until very recently, over 5 months after surgery. Accordingly, my suspicion is that it may stem from the radiation treatments that ended only 8 weeks ago.

In any event, thanks very much for your reply.

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

And talking of scalp/skin problems--has anyone gone right thro chemo fine, then found that their skin is itchy, prone to spots and boils afterwards??
I have a place on my scalp which has intense itching, and if I forget or am distracted, find myself scratching and taking the top off a spot!
My back is also in a mess.

Brenda

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916