Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#60923 05-22-2007 03:59 PM
blc6571 Offline OP
Senior Member (75+ posts)
OP Offline
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Marvin had his first check up after treatment today. He was told that he needed to start to try to eat more and not depend on the peg for all of his food. He seems really tired these past few days. The doctor said that was because he wasnt getting enough real food to help get his strength back. I find it hard to figure out how to get regular food in that will match a can of boost or VHc. If he eats something do I then take away one can of food so he doest get to full?

Also they said that there is still a small mass on the side of his neck. (they said it could be scar tissue) I was wondering is this normal. The normal person could not see the mass it is only when they check him that they can feel it. We are to wait 2 more months for a pet scan to get more accurate reading. They said however if we notice the side of his neck getting bigger then we are to go back right away. But they didnt think that would be the case.

Barb
CG for Marvin.
#60924 05-23-2007 02:08 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Barb,

They just won't let us have one peaceful minute. I've have 3 post Tx scans and each time they told me "congratulations, everything is fine....but....". I know that the best I can expect is a perfect scan (whatever that this) and that can only last until the next scan but I hate that word BUT or IT CAN'T BE EXCLUDED.

Also, I was told to try to eat as much "regular" food as I could post Tx for my swallowing and I did but I also drank 6 cans of VHC everyday for about 2 months. Now my docs tell me getting that much protein a day was good for me during that period of time. I just wonder if anyone out there really knows what we should specifically do?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
#60925 05-23-2007 06:31 AM

I was 5'5' and 118 lbs and was told I needed 80g protein a day to promote healing. Since I didn't have a peg, I was eating real food in very small bites and quantity for the first several months. To get my 80g, I ate my food with fortified milk(carnation instant breakfast in a glass of whole milk) and drank Ensure Plus (13g) to fill out what I wasn't getting otherwise. I'd check with the dietician to see how much protein his body needs. I was also put on Zinc sulfate, Vitamin C and a multivitimain by dietician. That was also almost 10 years ago so I don't know if protocol has changed. Hope that helps.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#60926 05-23-2007 02:46 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hi Barb, It's still based on total calories so as Jack started eating we cut back on the cans. Remember he can also drink the formula since that's swallowing and those calories count. You can add things to it to make a shake. Look for high calorie foods that can be pureed in a blender to start him off and build on that success.

They sell protein powder that can be added to foods as a boost. I think it's intended for shakes but also works in soft food. I've also heard that protein promotes healing. Remember that it will take time to build up the ability to eat larger amounts so start our with small frequent attempts at feeding. We made up a schedule so Jack could keep track of what he was eating and adjust his plans accordingly.

I think it's normal to be tired at this point, that took a while to get better with Jack. The statistic we kept hearing was 1 month of recovery for every week of treatment - and that's pretty much what happened. A PET scan would not be accurate at this point, everything will light up due to the treatment. It's frustrating to hurry up and wait, but some things just take time. It will get better.
Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics