Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Todd is fially thru all chemo and radiation. The problem now is he ahas lost 53 lbs and still can not eat. He does have a feeding tube and uses it for hydration and dilutes Boost and Ensure for nutrition, but still has a problem with the taste of everything. I am trying to get him to eat so he can build up his weight but everything taste so bad. His throat is better and not sore so he can swallow. Any suggestions

SCC Tonsils. DX 11/06. Stage 3/4. IMRTX38. Chemo: Cisplatin 3 cycles. Ended TX 4/27/07
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Linda,
See AMYCOLES thread 'My husband wants to eat' in this same section. Everything tastes like cardboard for at a least a couple weeks after radiation. Use plastic utensils if he is getting a metallic taste. Keep trying. The important thing is he keep swallowing something to keep the muscles moving and the function working, be it liquid or food. This is a 'use it or lose it' problem. He should keep trying because things change from day to day, week to week. Don't let him give up, he will get there.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hello Linda & Todd (we're almost neighbors)
The water situation was very interesting. I am just at the starting line but have read a lot here, as I am preparing myself for this hellish journey. I have read that you must try many things (tastewise). Old favs taste bad to some now. Taste will come back slowly. Try chocolate, fruits (stay away from or experiment) with citris. Sometimes it will burn the tender throat. Some people say different types of bottled water taste different, Can't drink this one but can drink that one. Sometimes the temperature of the foods or liquids makes a big difference. I will let the people who have walked the walk tell you. I just wanted to congratulate you on your completion. There is a carnation instant breakfast drink that has 560 calories per serving. That may help (weight gain) and you can use the peg or swallow it if it tastes ok. There are different flavors. I am on soft foods and do a lot of soups. One pot meals are good as I mush them all to a smooth texture. Any soft-cooked eggs, grits, oatmeal, jell-o, ice cream. PS. I have friends in Coral Gables, Coconut Creek and Tamarac. Good Luck! Petey smile

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Linda,

When did he finish Tx?

What was his Tx?

It helps the responders SOOOOOOO much if that info is added to your signature line so we can better respond.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
ccw Offline
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Linda,

Taste was a real problem for me - not just because of the lack of taste, but because everything seemed to taste absolutely horrible and was inedible (I think this was a little hard for my caregiver to understand at first). I pretty much stayed on Boost Plus and egg-beater omelets after treatment ended. Eventually, I tried other things, with my first big meal being a turkey dinner a week or so before Thanksgiving. The more I could eat (and I didn't push my luck too much), the more I weaned myself off my mostly liquid diet. I feel fortunate to have regained my taste buds slowly but surely over several months and now eat everything (although some sweets still taste a little "different" and don't appeal to me .... yet).

Best wishes,

Chris

SCC left tonsil, 2 lymph nodes, modified radical neck dissection, IMRT (both sides) completed 10/25/06, Erbitux and Cisplatin weekly, Ethyol daily
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Linda, I am like Chris. I didn't push myself to eat solids. I make sure I get plenty of calories with the drinks and on my last meal of the day I usually try to eat something. It is hard to explain to people how hard it is to eat when things don't taste right and when it takes 20 oz.s of water to wash down a couple of miniwheats. Trying to do this filled me up with water and made it very difficult to also drink the 16oz CIB VHC, Ensure plus mix I have been drinking for 2 1/2 months. I lost 35 to 40 lbs but have stabilized my weight since about week 5-6. I am now almost 6 wks post and on my best day I ate about a cup and a half of very watery soup. It takes time. I am always happy that my wife cares enough to stay concerned but I finally had to sit her down and explain that pushing me to eat was a loosing battle. On top of the regular difficulties when I eat something that leaves a horrible taste or just a bad experience it seems to etch itself in my memory and really turns me off from that particular thing. That is why I take it slow and let it come to me. Good luck and keep an eye on him to be sure he doesn't get dehydrated or malnutrition. With just my liquid diet I'm getting 2730 calories a day in 3 16oz meals. When my throat healed up I added 1-2 Juven drinks to add some muscle healing nutrients. My rad nurse gave me the Juven but I wasn't able to drink it until about 3 weeks ago. It seemed to help my energy some. Good luck. Lee

Lee, age 33, stage 4a, T2N2bM0, Tumor left tonsil (removed), 2 left side nodes removed (poorly differientiatied)total of 3 nodes involved. Treatment IMRT x33/ 2x Cysplatin completed. Good Health and Good Help to you.
Lee
OP Offline

Thank you everyone for the help - My concern here is that Todd will only ake 1-2 cans of Jevity each day - that is only 474 calories. He is only taking approx 1500 cc of water a day. He did have a set back, as he blacked out last wk at hit his head on the baseboard corner requiring 8 interior stiches and 8 staples. He finished treatment on April 27th and does not get out of bed. He is very weak - loss 53lbs so far. I realize I can't force him to eat but I know there is something wrong - PLEASE HELP ANYONE...

SCC Tonsils. DX 11/06. Stage 3/4. IMRTX38. Chemo: Cisplatin 3 cycles. Ended TX 4/27/07

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics