Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Ditto to David's post above.
Only the roles reversed. Husband Mike needs the sock but darn if he isn't always right!
I can't tell you the number of times I have shrunk in the chair at Dr visits wishing to disappear.
Anyways, Marcie is right, make sure your questions get listened to and the explanations are to your satisfaction.

Ginny
(Mike's spouse)

Ginny, spouse of MikeG. SSC BOT T2N1M0 Stage III, Dx 06/27/06 at age 52, Tx 07/31/06 through 09/28/06 Chemo Cisplatin & 5FU x2, Radiation x42. Cancer free and doing well.
OP Offline

We are going down for Rick's preop testing tomorrow. Thank you ALL for the extra information! I now have some more questions to ask....
Gratefully,
Mary Ann

Mary Ann -CGtoRick:SCC base of tongue (invasive, poorly differentiated); Dx 6/06; Stage III/IV(T3N2M0)Started Chemo Erbitux Weekly 7/6/06 & 2 Cis Tx ; IMRT 7wks starting 7/17/06.Completed 9/1/06.

Mary Anne,

DH had a trach and it was really slow to heal due to the rads which were in the vicinity of his trach. (Normally they heal up in a matter of a few eeks...DH's took months to heal.) A lot of people I ahve talked to have been slow to heal after rads...whether it was a neck resection or mouths healing from dental work that was done prior to surgery that took up to six months to heal enough to get dentures. I only mention this because rads can significnatly slow down healing and you might want to discuss this with the doc before he starts cutting.

As for the trach, I had to clean it four times a day to start with and then was able to drop back to twice a day. It is a lot of work, but it is important to keep it clean to prevent infection. I also had a knock down drag out with the home health service when they tried to make me reuse the disposable trach cleaning kits. I told them I was not comfortable reusing a disposable kit on a man who was immune compromised. They called the clinic and talked to a resident, but failed to mention that they were talking about a disposable kit that was not made for sterilization, so he told them it was OK. I called the Head Honcho and told him what was going on and he said to ONLY use a fresh kit each time. I then promptly fired the home health service. I lost all trust in them for trying to cut corners to save a few dollars at the risk of my DH's health, I was mad at them for going over my head to the clinic and not telling the resident the whole story, and when I called them to tell them why I didn't want them back in the house, I told thm they were there to make our lives easier, not to put my husband at risk or cause me more problems.

Don't let ANYONE bully you...do what you think is in your DH's best interest and stick to your guns.

Marcie

CG spouse 54 yo male dx Sq cell CA larynx Stage 4 RADPLAT therapy started 6/05 Intra-arterial Cisplatin x4-RT x35. Treatment completed 7/05. FU PET scan and CT scan with hot spot. Biopsy of hot spot 9/05 clean. No recurrences as of 12/06.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Marcie,

You go girl!!

You remind me of my wife although sometimes I act as if I'm not with her or I want to stick a sock in her mouth. She's always correct in what she is saying but not always correct in how she goes about saying it. I'm not implying anything about you or your posts except your spirit reminds me of her. LOL

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Ditto to David's post above.
Only the roles reversed. Husband Mike needs the sock but darn if he isn't always right!
I can't tell you the number of times I have shrunk in the chair at Dr visits wishing to disappear.
Anyways, Marcie is right, make sure your questions get listened to and the explanations are to your satisfaction.

Ginny
(Mike's spouse)

Ginny, spouse of MikeG. SSC BOT T2N1M0 Stage III, Dx 06/27/06 at age 52, Tx 07/31/06 through 09/28/06 Chemo Cisplatin & 5FU x2, Radiation x42. Cancer free and doing well.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users