Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Tried to look through the archives for info on hyperbaric treatment but couldn't find anything
My husband Brian had a bleed out in October due to the radiation had basically melted away the tissues and was exposint the bone that holds the base of the tongue and had also ulcerated vessels which finally just blew out. I almost lost Brian he was in the hospital and rehab for a month. He has gone through 4 hyberbaric treatments and will need to go for 40 days mon thru fri. It feels like radiation all over again. but this time its an hour drive and no help with transportation. He hAs recently been having alot of diareha and feels sick to his stomach. and the lympdyma in his feet and neck seems to get worse the last couple of days. Just looking for feedback if anybody had any issues with the hyperbaric treatment.
Thanks
Take Care B

BOT stage IV SCC moderately diff, invasive. radiation 2 chemos. DX 06/06. Ended radiation 8/11/06. Bleed out from tonsil area from radiation necrosis 10/27/06.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi B,
I have done Hyperbaric twice over the past three years and it was a breeze. The only real side effects I had were a temporary change in my eyesight and maybe being tired. Everything else was positive for me and the treatment was well worth it.
Wishing you well with it.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

B, remember that hyperbaric treatments are nothing more than sitting in a pressurized, oxygen rich environment. It is fundamentally different than radiation or chemo; both of those are designed to KILL cells, and do that very well...both cancerous ones and healthy ones. It's the cellular damage that makes you so sick.

Hyperbaric treatments actually encourage cellular growth by temporarily increasing the density and quantity of blood vessels in the affected areas. If he's having a lot of negative symptoms, chances are very strong that he's got something else going on; if anything, the increased oxygen levels in his body should make him feel more alert and generally a bit better overall, not sicker.
Wayne

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06

you have been so strong from day 0ne dont give up now the old saying hard going in easy coming out .hang in there freind

i was stage 4 sence 2002 with oral cancer now it seames that i just wait and i dont no for what?
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

We haven't clipped the threads about this into the archives. Do a search of the forums for o2 or hyperbaric and you will find all the threads from people's journey with o2 treatments.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

B -- I had a fistula after radiation with exposed bone along my jawline. Five plastic surgeries couldn't fix it. Then I moved from California to Washington and my new cancer doc recommended hyperbaric oxygen. Seven weeks M-F, another minor surgery, and 3 more weeks of O2. Bingo!

I had to drive half an hour, take a 35 minute ferry ride to Seattle, hike 15 blocks, and sit in a pressurized tank for 2 1/2 hours each day. Best thing I've ever done! I met some wonderful people, my fistula healed, and my dry mouth went away. I can even eat spicy food again.

Hang in there. There's light at the end of the tunnel. :-)

SCCA T2N1M0 diagnosed 11/02, radical neck dissection, 7 weeks radiation, 6 surgeries to deal with osteonecrosis, 10 weeks hyperbaric oxygen. "Live strong. Laugh often."
B Offline OP
OP Offline

R
Been away from the site for awhile, Brians been in the Tank or taking dives as they say, for 30 visits. And yes your right its a real hassle to take the trip m-f but so far its been worth it. We live an hour away from the hyberbaric treatment center and they have been kind enough to meet us halfway and pick Brian up and then they bring him most of the way home. That way I can work and leave for a short time to pick him up. Brians been out of work since May so living on one income is tough. So its been nice to run into people who understand and want to help. Brian and I have learned alot about truly king people are throughout this whole journey. Brian got a laugh from your email ( he's not one for getting on the computer. Glad to hear that you can eat spicy foods again. We go to Boston tommorow and hopefully he will have his trach removed it depends on how much healing has been done they are still worried about him having another bleed. He still has alot of swelling around his neck and face the have him on a steriod but every time he goes off it, the swelling starts backup. They can't give us a clear answer if this is going to be a chronic thing. The drs say they didn't all the side effects that he is having from the radiation. So its a wait and see situation.
So were hanging in there and waiting to see the light at the end of the tunnel
B

BOT stage IV SCC moderately diff, invasive. radiation 2 chemos. DX 06/06. Ended radiation 8/11/06. Bleed out from tonsil area from radiation necrosis 10/27/06.
B Offline OP
OP Offline

R
Been away from the site for awhile, Brians been in the Tank or taking dives as they say, for 30 visits. And yes your right its a real hassle to take the trip m-f but so far its been worth it. We live an hour away from the hyberbaric treatment center and they have been kind enough to meet us halfway and pick Brian up and then they bring him most of the way home. That way I can work and leave for a short time to pick him up. Brians been out of work since May so living on one income is tough. So its been nice to run into people who understand and want to help. Brian and I have learned alot about truly king people are throughout this whole journey. Brian got a laugh from your email ( he's not one for getting on the computer. Glad to hear that you can eat spicy foods again. We go to Boston tommorow and hopefully he will have his trach removed it depends on how much healing has been done they are still worried about him having another bleed. He still has alot of swelling around his neck and face the have him on a steriod but every time he goes off it, the swelling starts backup. They can't give us a clear answer if this is going to be a chronic thing. The drs say they didn't all the side effects that he is having from the radiation. So its a wait and see situation.
So were hanging in there and waiting to see the light at the end of the tunnel
B

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics