Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#56360 04-19-2005 06:44 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Mine was almost 6 years ago, it certainly wasn't a new idea, though I have to admit that the use of a gastric PEG is far better than 10 years ago when a ptient had to have NASAL tubes for months on end. Think of going out in public with that!!!

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#56361 04-20-2005 03:53 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Thanks all for the information......lot's of different results, so I'm hoping Dan is one of the lucky ones!!!!!! Either way, it seems like any discomfort is short-lived and considering what he has been thru, I think he will be able to handle it! Let me tell you what his tube is like and then perhaps someone can tell me if there's was like this......on either side of the tube there are long "wires" (sutures) protruding from the skin. The wire is strung thru a cotton "bolster".....much like a small version of the cotton rolls that a dentist uses.....then the wire goes thru a small plastic disk, and then thru tiny metal clamps t hat are crimped to hold it in place. Around the tube itself there is nothing. His docshave been great.....but having the tube put in was a nightmare. It was done in the hospital by interventional radiology. I'm thinking that the bolster I mentioned were placed there due to the swelling to keep the disc from digging into the skin, but I did think that at some point they would be removed.......not very sanitary in my mind.....but the docs kept checking on it and said it was fine.....no inflamation or anything.....but I'm just wondering what is going on inside????? I sure hope it comes out easier than it went in, that's for sure!!!! I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Thanks

Michelle
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members