Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Joanna, Thanks for your comments. You are encouraging and you have a great sence of humor. which I admire and enjoy. I'm glad to hear from you that you are very pleased with your implants and dentures. That is so good to know as I am just beginning that part of rehabilitation. I guess it is the fear of the unknown. Thanks again, Hacklene

Hacklene
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hacklene and Joanna,
A local survivor came to the walk today that had implants done upper and lower. He has a Hollywood smile needless to say and he said it has changed his life. He let me examine them and look at them and what an amazing creation.
My insurance company, that we thought was going to approve my implants, denied my request last week much to our surprise. They told me that if I had been in an accident and an injury caused the damage, it would be covered. So, let's see, if I went out and got rip roaring drunk, drove myself home, and wrapped the car around a tree, knocking my teeth out in the process..........they would pay!! Makes no sense to me. Virginia is one of the few states that mandates the insurance companies to pay for breast reconstruction. My doctors, and the hospital and medical school they are associated with, asked me if I would be willing to spearhead a campaign to our state legislature to get a mandate for implants. I said heck yeah if it will get me my teeth and all those that come behind me or are already suffering through not being able to eat properly due to lack of a full compliment of teeth.
After seeing the implants in the survivor today it's all I have thought about........and I want some!
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.

Minne, my implants were financed by the Bank of Joanna, as the medical folks said it was dental, and the dental folks... well you know what they said. Went several rounds with both sides and finally gave up as they were both adamant about not being responsible for payment. I may be eating beans, but at least I can chew them well(grin).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users