Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#54431 02-27-2004 06:20 AM
minniea Offline OP
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline

I do my consult for the Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment Monday at 9:30. My oral surgeon is now in a rush to do this as he sees quite a bit of trouble coming with the bottom teeth I have left. He is worried about an infection.
I have some questions, hopefully Joanne will answer for me.
1. How long do you have to go without the teeth before the imlants are "put on"? I need to know how long as talking to people is a huge part of my job.
2. Does the treatment hurt your ears? I have issues with my ears from treatment already.
3. Joanne, did you have all of your teeth removed? I ask because I worry that I will have problems with my top teeth in time.
4. Was your mouth really sore after the surgery and how did you eat?
That's all for now. I am a bit depressed that I have to do this, trying not to be. Life seems so "normal" right now, kids have put the cancer thing behind them and now mom is going to bring it back into their lives. They don't complain, I'm complaining for them. They don't deserve this. I have so much to do and just want to throw my hands up and scream "I don't have time for this crap!"
Ok, vented and feel better.
Thanks,
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#54432 02-27-2004 10:34 AM

Oh boy! Something right up my alley.

Minniea, I had a great time with the HBO. A side benefit was that my vision was temporarily returned to pre-correction days, which was terrific. In fact, I still don't need my driving glasses, so maybe it is permanent, I hope, I hope.

Okay, in order
1. Despite all my jumping up and down about it, the surgeon absolutely refuses to put teeth in until six months have passed. That's right, six months. To skip to Question 3, yes I had all remaining teeth removed. About ten days post-surgery, I was able to wear a temporary top denture. I am typing this from a law office (on break) where I talk to lots of people and answer lots of phones. All without bottom teeth. Talking is not a problem. Look in the mirror and talk to see what teeth show most. I am one of the people whose bottom teeth barely show anyway, so I am out and about and I will bet nobody notices the missing dentation.

2. Ears. As instructed, I took one Tylenol 30 minutes prior to each dive. For the first few dives the nurses took me down very slowly. One's ears pop almost continuously until depth is reached. I had a fullness in my ears that was uncomfortable, but not painful, for the first few times, but after that it was a piece of cake.

4. No, my mouth was not really sore. I got the pain pill prescription filled, took one in case it began to hurt, and never took any more. Liquids for the first 10 days or so, then soft foods. I went to a fancy dinner at a restaurant, ordered grilled salmon with mashed potatoes, soup instead of salad, and did just fine. I get vegetables in soup that I make by the gallon, and fruits by making smoothies. I can eat most anything if it is cut up small enough.

I asked about a temporary bottom denture and was told emphatically that under no circumstances would it be prudent to put any load on the area healing (titanium screws put into the bone). So much for that.

The HBO was a very positive experience and I had a lot of fun. A couple of the nurses have become good friends. You will be nervous the first time, but after that it is truly the easiest treatment you will have.

If I have missed anything, ask more questions. I am happy to share my experience.

Joanna

#54433 03-01-2004 08:21 AM
minniea Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for all the info Joanne. I went for the consult and was surprised that it will take 2 1/2 hours a day! I also questioned the doctor strongly about the theory that the oxygen feeds cancer and may cause cancer????? Did anyone discuss that with you? I think I've asked that before but can't remember. I start the treatment on Thursday, go for a chest Xray tomorrow. It is individual chambers, the area was really nice and I loved the nurses. There are three capsules, all with TV's and radios. Wish I could take a book in there as I'm not a huge TV fan but my times will be during re-runs of "ER" so I'm ok with it.
I felt like a kid in there, all the patients are quite elderly!
Hope my new teeth are worth all this!
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#54434 03-01-2004 09:22 AM

Minne, I am so glad you are getting started toward your new teeth. Just don't forget to take one antihistamine 30 minutes before each treatment. I said Tylenol before, and that was incorrect. The antihistamine kind of dries you up so there is less pressure in the ear. Worked for me. The going "down" and coming "up" time decreases as you adjust to it, but the time at depth is 90 minutes period. I'll bet they have a VCR hooked to the television. I watched a lot of good movies. Like you, I would much prefer to read, but since I could not, I brought some good movies to watch and the time passed quickly. Some days I slept. I was amazed that some people need ice packs in there. I was always cold and requested extra blankets. The first day I didn't know that and I was pretty uncomfortable just because I was cold. Better to ask up front for more than you need than shiver for an hour an a half. Seriously, Minne, after you go through it once, it will be a piece of cake. And yes, I think it is entirely worth it. You will be a star!
Joanna

P.S. I had a large gap between the first 20 and the final 10, and when I began again, on one of the dives I experienced some ear pain. They brought me back up and then went down very slowly, and it was fine. You have that option. I think I was a little stuffy that day, as it was winter, which probably explains it.

#54435 03-01-2004 10:28 AM

Hi Minniea,

I have not done a Hyperbaric chamber dive but I have done a fair amount of scuba diving. For me the going under pressure was more problematic that coming back up. Each person has a bit different response to the changes in pressure. If you don't have problems when you go up or down a steep hill or in a tall elevator, you will likely do fine. If you are at all stuffed up in your ears or sinuses then tell them before they put you in. The great thing is you will be all set for a scuba diving trip to somewhere warm!

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#54436 03-02-2004 05:28 PM
minniea Offline OP
OP Offline

Hey Mark,
Scuba diving, huh?? Always wondered how that would be but I don't love the water unless it's in a boat or in a pool! I start on Monday rather then Thursday as I am going out of town this weekend and need to leave on Friday (I've been nominated for Coach of the Year and need to attend a big banquet, woo, woo!). I'm hoping that all this will be worth it but at the same time I realize that I am lucky that I have these options ahead of me.
Take care,
Minnie

#54437 03-03-2004 02:53 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

You "GO Minnie" - good luck at the banquet. We think you deserve coach of the year.

Dinah

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users