Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#54088 11-29-2003 04:30 PM
minniea Offline OP
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I read on this board that some see lots of different doctors after they are through with treatment. I only see my otolaryncologist every 30-45 days. Is this ok? Should I be seeing my radiation doctors on a regular basis? My otolaryncologist is my favorite and his practice includes the plastic surgeon that did "work" on me and there are speech therapists, etc. also. I just want to make sure I am being followed up as I should be, although I do trust this doctor. Hhhhhhmmmmmm, guess that means I also trust all of you. I am learning that there are many, many opinions in this small world of oral cancer, and none of them appear to be "wrong".

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#54089 11-30-2003 07:43 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Minniea, my Rad Oncologist setup my schedule
to see him every other month, and the ENT every
other alternating month (seeing one of them
every month). The Onco did an oral exam and
generally watched for healing from the radiation.
The ENT did the scope-in-the-nose thing to check
for tumors. I had several CT's and an MRI during
the first year of post-care. I also see my
dentist every three months. I signed on for a
clinical trial of Evoxac (saliva medicine).
I got exams/lab work every month. Sometimes I
would see 3 doctors in one month.
Now at a year and half post-treatment, I see
the Onco every 4 months, and the ENT every 4
months, but the dentist is still every 3 months.
The clinical trial exams are at 3 months now.
Hope this helps...O-O

Head and neck SCC
TXN2bM0 stage IV
Finished treatment 6/02
#54090 11-30-2003 07:50 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

I am a year out from radiation and see my ENT every 6 weeks, my primary surgeon, rad oncologist and oral surgeon have me up at every 3 months. I know this will change after my next appointments in Feb. Some will move to 4 or 6 months. My ENT is probably going to go up to 8 weeks after my appointment tomorrow. As I recall, you just finished this summer. At that point I was at 6 weeks on everyone. I think it all boils down to what you and your doctors are comfortable with. My team had an Oral surgeon to spilt my jaw and he like to have a look every so often, he considers this part of what has been paid for so it is a free look by skilled eyes. I see a lot of them often because I can. The Cat Scan is at 6 months and the chest x-ray is at 1 year. That about covers my follow-up plan. Oh, I see the Oral Hygienist fairly often since I am lucky enough to have kept all my teeth. I don't know if this helps since, as I look at it, it seems a bit excessive. As I said I see them often becase I can. The co-pays are minimal and the peace of mind is priceless! Hey, there may be a Mastercard commercial in here! I would like to say that it sounds like you are doing just great.

Glenn

#54091 11-30-2003 08:57 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Minnie,
I am sure that the insurance companies have something to say about it and there are also practice guidelines from the NCCN about the intervals for follow-up visits. I am sure that staging, location, type of cancer and/or Tx and response to Tx play a role also. I mention these because all of our experiences will differ slightly.

In the first 6 months I was seeing the oncologist, radiation oncologist and head and neck surgeon every 6 weeks and the dentist/hygenist every 3 months for cleaning.

Currently at 250+ days post Tx, I am seeing the radiation oncologist every 6 months, the oncologist every 3 months and the head and neck surgeon every 2 months. I was informed that the head and neck surgeon would be the PCP (Primary Care Physician) and he would be seeing me every 2 months the first year.

Post Tx I have been scoped once (by the radiation oncologist -just last week, had 2 MRI's and a chest x-ray. The head & neck surgeon has done extensive visualization with mirrors and palpation, the last time, anesthetizing my throat to palpate the back of my tongue. He only scoped me on the first visit (so far). They also palpate the exterior part of my neck, I suspect, for swollen lymph nodes.

Like Glenn I kept all of my teeth also and will see the dentist/hygenist every 3 months for the rest of my life. I use a water pik, floss and do in home flouride treatments. I still have dry mouth to some degree but I am also getting some salivary function back, which was expected, because I had IMRT.

I am taking a break from lab work at the moment - I have had enough needles stuck in me to last a lifetime thank you very much.

And like the others, there is a balance between the anxiety of the (pre) visits and the comfort of a good exam outcome. The anxiety has diminished to the hours preceding the exam and is not a big deal now.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics