Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#54082 11-25-2003 10:24 AM
OP Offline

I think I'm worrying about nothing but I need a sanity check. I'm seven weeks out from radiation. My followup checkups have all gone well. I've been very fortunate in that I haven't had problems in my mouth but up until last week my throat remained sore enough that my attempts at weaning myself from the feeding tube weren't going so well. But then last week things got better and as of Thursday or so last week, I was managing to get all my nourishment by mouth (a combination of real food -- soups, hominy grits, etc. -- and Ensure). But then yesterday I woke up and the right side of my throat (which was approximately where the tumor was) is quite sore and when I swallow I get ear pain that sometimes then sticks around for a bit.

I suspect this is just par for the course but I'm wondering if I might have picked up a bug or something. I'm stewing about whether to drop by to see my regular doctor or whether I need to stir things up to get in to see the otolaryngologist (which is a relatively big deal). Or maybe I should just take it easy and go back to doing some tube feeding to give this new sore place a chance to heal.

Am I just being neurotic?

Thanks,
Laura

#54083 11-26-2003 10:05 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Laura, to answer your last question first, no youre not being neurotic. Pretty natural reaction after all you've been through..

Probaby best to see at least the regular doc. This time of year it could just be a bug, and with your probably supressed immune system it's a good idea to get checked out.

Of course the solid foods may have surprised the ol' throat, and the pain might be a reaction from that.

You'll get these little surprises for a few months, part of the healing process..
Good luck
Bob S.

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#54084 11-27-2003 04:22 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Laura,
I am a little over 4 months past radiation and I still will make an area in my mouth or in my throat sore if I eat alot that day or try to eat another new thing. I'm eating very well, but 7 weeks out I wasn't. I tried pushing it around that time and did the same thing it appears you have done, made my throat and mouth area sore. I simply went back to using the tube for a bit longer. I also, around that time, started with the ear pain that still bothers me now. I am starting to connect that to my jaw, as it hurts like heck to yawn now and after I do yawn, my ears will hurt for awhile. Hope this helps. Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#54085 11-27-2003 06:58 PM

Let's see....YES you are neurotic you have earned the right! :p

I am going to suggest you go to the Doc for peace of mind if nothing else. I have found that my neck and throat respond entirely differently to colds and bugs now. Strange "life threatining" pains come and go regularly. I also found that nerves are healing for a long time and I get very screwed up sensations.

That said, I don't ignore or put off anything. Yes I might be a neurotic hypochondriac but I don't mind visiting my Doc.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#54086 11-30-2003 08:02 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Laura, I still get sore throats and sore spots
on my tongue. Mine is caused by severe dryness,
but I still keep a close eye on things. I keep a dental mirror and flashlight in the bathroom, and
if anything persisted or looked funny, I would
have a doc check it out. I also have 24/7 ear
popping in both ears. That is caused by radiation
to the ear canal, and my Rad Onco said to get
used to it, cuz it probably won't go away. That may be a potential source of ear pain.
I also suspect that due to radiation and now
Xerostomia that I'm more prone to colds and
viral infections. Hang in there...O-O

Head and neck SCC
TXN2bM0 stage IV
Finished treatment 6/02
#54087 11-30-2003 09:05 PM

Grits and Ensure???

On the nerve healing idea, recently I've discoverd that when I scratch the back of my neck, behind the incision line, I don't feel it where I'm scratching behind my ear, I feel it about an inch FORWARD of the incision line below my jaw.

One of those things to amuse myself with during times when I'm bored.

Bob S.

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics