Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#53907 06-25-2007 09:30 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Brian is correct. Your body will convert food into sugar whether you want this or not and whether you eat sugars or not.
Blood glucose levels are normally tightly controlled. Also, before you jump to the conclusion that glucose is bad, recall that glucose is the primary source of energy for your cells! You NEED glucose in your blood.

It might not be the best idea to consume a lot of sugar because of dental problems. The PET scan story is interesting, but please remember. FIRST you are made to starve so that your glucose level is quite low. In fact if the glucose level is not low enough they will not do the PET scan. Then you are give a radioactive sugar analogue. This accumulates in metabolically active tissues (i.e cancer etc) which you then see.

Partial glossectomy (25%) anterior tongue. 4/6/07/. IMRT start @5/24/07 (3x) Erbitux start/end@ 5/24/07. IMRT wider field (30x) start 6/5/07. Weekly cisplatin (2x30mg/m2), then weekly carbo- (5x180mg/m2). End of Tx 19 July 07.
#53908 06-25-2007 04:24 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

You need to read up on why a PET scan works - it has been discussed here before, but I'll do it again briefly. ALL cells burn sugars. Cells that are working harder than normal (inflammation, infection etc.) burn it faster than normal, they have a faster metabolism. Cancer cells burn it very rapidly as they have the highest metabolism.

They inject you with a radioactive glucose formula and you lay around for an hour so that the cells in your body can have time to absorb it. Those that absorb the most of it show up on the scans. These MAY be cancer cells or they may be an area that is healing or inflamed for other reasons, hence the high rate of false positives with PET scans right after treatments. My annual PET shows my hips, knees and other areas of chronic inflammation from beating myself up over the years as hot spots. Last PET I also had some nodes in my chest light up but that was determined to be aspiration pneumonia

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

---[cut]
Reduce simple sugar intake

Simple sugars enter the bloodstream quickly and cause a rise in insulin and other growth-promoting hormones. Research shows that high levels of these hormones may increase the growth of cancer cells. The key to reducing these hormones is reducing your intake of simple sugars. Complex carbohydrates do not affect insulin the same as simple sugars, and thousands of research studies have shown that they actually reduce the risk of cancer. [paste]---

Rita - Age 44
wife, mother of 4 - ages 3,16,21,24 & grandma to 1
(R upper) Maxillectomy 8/8/08 - UW / Seattle, WA.

===============================

"Those who think by the inch and speak by the yard, should be kicked by the foot."

This is an interesting topic as I have read several other places that cancer feeds off of sugar. As a diabetic that really spooked me as I know how many many foods are turn into sugar naturally by the body and how many many things in this day of age are made with sugar. I also know how much the body needs sugar. I decided to just keep intake to a minimum and also use as natural sugars as I can ie fruit, breads, brown sugar. Wheather or not it makes a difference or not it makes me feel better that I am making some sort of effort and difference to the sugars in my body

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Do a search for sugar on the boards. We have discussed this before at length, and people who do not understand that even if you don't eat sugar, your body will make it, don't get some very basic biology. Malignant cells have a higher metabolic rate than normal ones, so yeah, in the simplest sense of the idea, they feed off of sugar, but so does every other cell in your body. It does not matter whether or not the sugars you eat are simple, natural, or whatever. Your body is going to covert it. Sugar is sugar.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics