Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
gulia Offline OP
OP Offline

dad can't have the peg because of swelling in his airway passage and they feel it will close up with surgery and he would die. So for now we don't have that option. His main issues are just no appetite and his attitude is not good. He's tired if being in pain and confused because of the lack of nutrition and liquid so it's very hard to rationalize with him. I am happy to report that he's doing a little better. He lost only 2 lbs. last week and he's trying to eat a little more. He's got a little more energy too so I think we are on the right track. He is trying and that's all I can ask of him.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Guila,
A PEG is inserted through a little hole that is punched in your stomach...it has nothing to do with the airway passage. At your dad's stage I was totally dependent on my PEG for nutrition and hydration. Also, please note that the first few weeks post-radiation are the hardest part of the entire treatment and recovery. Many people feel very bad and get depressed.

I suggest discussing a PEG with the doctor.

Best of luck,
Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Guila, if the Docs refuse to figure out a way to feed him by peg or pic or whatever, then ask about Megace. It is an appetite stimulator that is used for cancer patients, Aids patients,etc. You can read about it on the internet. It is very expensive but supposed to work well. It was offered to us, but we did not try it because John was at the max. volumn of what he could tolerate in a day. Also, we are using a NUTRITION product called 2CaL-HN. It has 475 calories per can and John takes 4 cans a day [by peg].It can be pump fed and it can be swallowed if the patient can swallow. That's 1900 cal. in just 4 feedings. Add some Welches Concord grape juice or gatoraid and you can boost the calorie intake to 2000+.Keep fighting for you Dad. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
Bee Offline

Hi Gulia -

I am in a situation very similar to yours. My father also lost 35lbs and could not afford to lose more (he was 6 feet tall and 170 before treatment). He and his doctors were against the feeding tube for multiple reasons.

He has been drinking Scandishakes -- they have twice the calories of Boost and Ensure for the same volume of liquid. They need to be ordered through a pharmacy or purchased online. Here is a link for more information:

http://www.axcan.com/scandishake_us.php?lang=1

Good luck. Hang in there. You are doing such an important job.

Bee

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users